Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Video of du Plessis neck lock submission hold on Pocock

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    i read an article on the iphone super rugby app that it is going to be investigated. hang on a sec
    There is a thread about it here. I read it here and elsewhere on the intertubes today.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    Ok so what I don't understand is how that doesn't get reviewed after the match? They do have match review right? That kind of tactic, premeditated or not, isn't legal in rugby law I am sure, right? Very strange indeed!!
    I thought the same thing when poey got eye gouged by schalk burger last year........nothing eventuated!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There is a video of Jannie du Plessis making contact to the eye of one of the Irish players. A backrower I think.

Everything is pre-meditated to cause maximum, but subtle, damage with the likes of JdP, Schalk Burger or Bakkies Botha. We have a couple of mongrels but you don't see fingers in eyes and you rarely see credible striking. I say credible striking because Rod Davies' efforts on Brett Sheehan were hardly worth mentioning.

It's interesting that Sidey faced the tribunal for both the tackle and 'retaliation' according to rugby365. So why wasn't what he was retaliating against, being elbowed in the head, cited?

What is going to happen the next time a tackle like this is pulled off?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    its the friggen gator roll cleanout technique, i personally dispise it and refuse to use it or encourage it to be taught.
    The gator roll technique isn't meant to be done by the head!

du Plessis was in a weak body position and beaten to the ball, and unfortunately going at his head was really his only option - to twist a phrase "kill the head, and the body will die".

Essentially, he was beaten and his only recourse was to attack his head with a choke-hold.

Methinks Dr. du Plessis had better review the Hippocratic Oath.

Imagine if that happened to St. Richie McCaw? There would be investigations!

vCash
    Doesn't the Force have to lodge an official complaint before it is looked at?

And if thats the case, I wonder why the Force did not lodge a complaint?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Doesn't the Force have to lodge an official complaint before it is looked at?

And if thats the case, I wonder why the Force did not lodge a complaint?
    because, that is rugby, it happens in every fricken match!

I'm pretty sure the force do it too.

Look everyone here, having a whinge... It was bad! Bam got injured, it is shit... but if they wanted to lodge a complaint, they would have... yes, the ref didn't see it, or thought it was ok. but we could have lodged a complaint. I dare say the bam himself said "no, it is ok, i don't want to"....

Saffas bitch and moan, but man we are spanking that horse right now!

[/rant]

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I recall live noticing the Ref look back over his right shoulder, away from the action, just as the incident happened.
    Without going back to the tape (slow internet during day time) I can't be 100% but pretty sure he would plead unsighted.

Palitu, I would normally agree, but I'm sorry, this level of what happened doesn't happen "in every fricken match".
    Yes, some pretty "suspect" stuff does happen, been there, had it done and had the bruised nuts to verify it, but this is to the next level.
    Sharpe loses his head in virtually every rolling maul we attempt but you don't get the TWF crew up in arms about that as that, unfortunately, has become part of the game. It saddens me to think there are those that see this as being part of the spirit of the code, it really does.
    It isn't about the injury, that was a coincidence of timing, it is about the fact that he was clearly (ie in full view) and deliberately grabbed around the head and half strangled without consequence.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    it is about the fact that he was clearly (ie in full view) and deliberately grabbed around the head and half strangled without consequence.
    I'm pretty much in line with Palitu here. But having said that, the fault is with the citing system. This tactic has been outlawed in the "other code" and is punished with suspension. Whether the ref saw it, the other team reports it, or not. But they still allow some 'orrible shoulder charges and only punish them when they go wrong - go figure.

Whatever, we sure could do with some counter-mongrel. Bam - bide your time.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Im with burgs. I think Duplesis comments following on made his intentions quite clear if his actions werent obvious enuff. I could accept it if the incident was accidental but it clearly wasnt and as far as im concerned he's up there with his brother, burger and botha as mega tosspots.
    You can still play hard and physical without acting like a bloody moron.

Having said that i was licking my lips at the thought of the duplesis brothers on the front row for the force when we tried to recruit them.....be nice to have some proppah hard kunts like them.

vCash
    Apologize if this has been posted already

UPDATE: Super Rugby's governing body is investigating the incident in Saturday's Western Force loss to the Sharks that left Force star flanker David Pocock sidelined for up to six weeks.

Pocock, who will be out for up to six weeks with medial ligament strain in his right knee, was caught in a ruck as Sharks prop Jannie du Plessis grabbed his head and pulled him backwards.

SANZAR told The West Australian they had not received an official complaint but would begin an inquiry today.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Whatever, we sure could do with some counter-mongrel. Bam - bide your time.
    And i really do think that Bam is trying to add a bit of agression/mongrel to his game. He seems a lot more antaganistic now. Which i think is good.

Burgs, Yes, though in this case, were are only looking at it because he got injured. You're right, we never get up in arms about it in other times (ie Sharpie in mauls). why now? only because he got injured.

If he got injured in a legitemate tackle/clearing out, we wouldn't say anything, but as it is illegal (yet happens all the time to now penalty) we are taking it to the next level.

I just think we all get the point that it was wrong, and how did they get away with it etc.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No, to clarify as per my last sentence, I am only looking at it because it was well out of the mass of bodies and was a deliberate wrenching in a headlock. Sharpies are normally just an unlocked arm around the face without the same force.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Leave the head alone!!!! Put your arms around Poey's chest and then do the Crocodile roll. Ref's caution you in a maul if you put arm around an opponents neck, you get yelleow or red carded for a Head High tackle.

Just leave the friggin head alone!!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Time now to move on and look forward to tonight's game. Many Thanks for all the comments on the video, guys.

For anyone with an account who'd like to help overtake the dislike vote, here's the original YouTube link... (looks like it was picked up by SuperXV too).

Anyway, good luck to the boys taking on the Blues - and hopefully those going along to Members Equity will get to see a good game.

Last edited by Ham105; 12-03-11 at 16:59.

vCash
    something i thought was amusing was hearing the south african commentators and crowd crying about the highlanders lock grabbing andries becker around the neck during a stormers rolling maul.(along with the flurry of punches been thrown hahaha)
    Highlanders even got penalized for the neck hold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast