Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Match Report: Western Force vs Sharks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Here's a shot of that tackle [/URL]
    Yup. And it clearly confirms my impression at the ground - it looked bad BUT he was back slammed. Not speared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Yep. It was the ref's fault completely. The Force players did not contribute to their own downfall at all. Not one little bit.

Damn you, Keith Brown.
    Would you actually like to give us an unbiased critique of his performance? Not just a blind defense of it.

I'm not here to criticise the referee. They are usually a swings and roundabouts proposition. But I've got a gripe that too often the outcome of a match is determined by the careless waving of a yellow or red card for foul play. I've said it here more than once. Not concerned with their use for repeated infringements. But they should NEVER be allowed to send anyone from the field without a video review. They simply get it too wrong too many times.

This is a professional game now and there is way too much at stake for technology to be sidelined for the sake of some out-of-date notion that the referee is sacred. He's getting paid like the players, I'm paying some of it and he should be completely accountable.

Neither of the cards issued last night were deserved. The first one was a yellow. IMO.

When Wykes fumbled a couple times i kept thinking about our Rex sitting there seething and ready to throw something with nasty intent hahahaha
    I think even he would have been impressed. I think he's maybe still in Tah land, judging by the silence. I'm sure he'll catch up. I'm waiting to read his take on the shenanigans in Brumbyland. Jaysus I enjoyed that Reds win.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    The Force were so poor last night, probably the worst performance in the last season and a bit.
    The one on one tackle misses were awful - I cannot believe they played so poorly.
    Alot of the forwards tried hard but they couldn't compete with the sharks - how good were the sharks, such a well controlled team, there back row was awesome, I enjoyed watching them play.
    The 10 / 12 combination was terrible, they couldn't put one decent pass the match and then they winged to each other. Gene Fairbanks looks terrible, he is way out of his depth at this level now I think.
    Alfi Mafi looked good, we desperately need Ripia to play and move JOC to 12 or 15. Shepherd was ver poor last night, some of his attempted tackles were terrible.
    Next week is another game hopefully the Force perform a bit better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Neither of the cards issued last night were deserved. The first one was a yellow. IMO.
    If we didn't make a 180 degree forceful tackle a send off, no one would insure the players. (Well they would, it would just be a rip off).

Would you actually like to give us an unbiased critique of his performance? Not just a blind defense of it.
    While i always like to see Eky's review (if he has the time). We should also be asking those who are blindly asserting the ref did a crap job to give us an unbiased critique. (If they can...)

*not a shot at you. But i've seen a number of fairly dumb comments so far. Not from any forum regulars though.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This probably arguing the law more than the incident I guess, which is borderline stupidity, but I would have thought that the concern in officiating should be about the impact on the head and neck.
    This tackle did not go 180 to a spear, his legs were in the air but he landed flush on the ground on his back. A mega winding yes, and I hope not too much more serious than that, but to use a recent quote in it's intended context, "shit happens". There was no malice in the tackle, he didn't get his head below his hips and landed on his back. Dangerous and a yellow? Yep for sure. Spear and worth affecting the entire match for with a red? Sorry, not for me. For years players have been Coached to hit low and drive up, sometimes things go wrong.

The rest of the match was the usual decisions that supporters hate and sometimes end up favouring one side, usually not the side under extreme pressure from having less on the park.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    If we didn't make a 180 degree forceful tackle a send off, no one would insure the players. (Well they would, it would just be a rip off).
    I agree. It was a yellow. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    *not a shot at you. But i've seen a number of fairly dumb comments so far. Not from any forum regulars though.
    Agree to that too. I said that I think the general run of things sees the decisions even out. The point I tried (maybe poorly) to make is that instead of making sarcastic comments on previous posts maybe he should consider explaining where they are wrong. But I suppose that could be fairly time consuming.

Again, my problem is that technology is available for immediate review of foul play and should be used.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I agree with that point. Using the technology to review a potential red card would be a big help. All the ref currently has to go on is a rule of thumb about any forceful tackle going over 90 degrees = card.

I personally think it was a red card offence and the TMO would of given that. But regardless of that pointless debate, technology will improve these foul play decisions all round. Especially with stuff that is hard to see like eye-gouging.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Well, no-one else seems to have said it so I will. Nineteen times out of twenty, 14 players against 15 for that long are going to lose regardless. That twentieth time, they'll win by chancing their arm and they'll get lucky. We lost the player with 3 points on the board and were guaranteed the loss when we refused to attack.

Had we attacked we might have forced some repeat penalties, maybe cost them a player of their own for a bit, and at least tested them. Instead, we took penalties. It probably wouldn't have mattered either way, but there was absolutely no way we were going to beat a team like the Sharks three points at a time. It was a very, very poor strategy.

The last twenty minutes they weren't even bothering to commit any players to the breakdown; they just focused on defence and waited for a mistake. And it always came. Tactics aside, that was probably the bigger concern for mine. There is little skill and no fluency in the passing, with altogether too many passes going to no-one, or hitting people in the chest, face, hip, shoulder...pretty much anywhere but out in front of the runner. Binned players, poor decisions, luck - it is all irrelevant when we can't execute a cohesive attack anyway. I can only hope that there is something can be done about it quickly, otherwise it is going to be a very long season in defense.
    I agree completely! You don't win those games despite the post match coach speak. Given the Red card a bonus point or two could have been considered a victory. Sure we might not have scored 4 tries or stayed within 7 points but we definitely would've had the chance at launching sustained attacks and ironed out some of the wrinkles in our play. Plus it would've kept the fans happy.

At least some of the passing wasn't as bad as Giteau's against the Reds.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yup. And it clearly confirms my impression at the ground - it looked bad BUT he was back slammed. Not speared.

I'm not here to criticise the referee. They are usually a swings and roundabouts proposition. But I've got a gripe that too often the outcome of a match is determined by the careless waving of a yellow or red card for foul play. I've said it here more than once. Not concerned with their use for repeated infringements. But they should NEVER be allowed to send anyone from the field without a video review. They simply get it too wrong too many times.

This is a professional game now and there is way too much at stake for technology to be sidelined for the sake of some out-of-date notion that the referee is sacred. He's getting paid like the players, I'm paying some of it and he should be completely accountable.

I was at the game, up the far end in the stand. If I watch a replay of the game I will do an entire referee coaching/assessment report on it for youse.

In relation to the red card, please don't forget that the referee sees the incident once. In real time. Then he makes the call. He has no provision for a replay, slo-mo or otherwise. He sees it and calls it.

Also, in WA rugby land there is a "Crimes Act", which provides the sanction for a specific offence. There is likely to be the same thing for Super Rugby and any tackle taking the player beyond the horizontal could well simply be a send-off.

(oh, and a referee assessment doesn't rely on replays either. No stopping of the tape and rewinding)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I was at the game, up the far end in the stand. If I watch a replay of the game I will do an entire referee coaching/assessment report on it for youse.
    Thanks that will be interesting.

In relation to the red card, please don't forget that the referee sees the incident once. In real time. Then he makes the call. He has no provision for a replay, slo-mo or otherwise. He sees it and calls it.
    Yup. That's what's wrong in pro rugby and we see multiple examples which seem to be wrong, at least IMO.

Also, in WA rugby land there is a "Crimes Act", which provides the sanction for a specific offence. There is likely to be the same thing for Super Rugby and any tackle taking the player beyond the horizontal could well simply be a send-off.
    It has to be that way club rugby. There's no place for such all encompassing edicts in the professional game. Players are scrutinised by the citing commissioners after every match. No doubt slow mo replays are used. Match officials should be doing the same. There's 4 of them and they are able to talk things through before acting.

vCash
    Size has nothing to do with it and skill has nothing to do with it - the backline is just too damn flat!

Remember when the allblacks did the samething and then lost every second game? How'd they fix it? They went deeper!

If we had Spencer at 10 and Carter at 12 in their prime (Delany is better than Carter now) we still wouldn't be scoring any tries because a flat attack is easy to defend 3 players in, and they can't pass the ball more than 3 players out because they're so flat!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    He has no provision for a replay, slo-mo or otherwise.
    dont bring me in to this, i thought it was a straight red!......same old same old, we lose blame the ref, did anyone miss the ball retention on the first try when both teams had 15 on the park.... lets face it we were woeful last night..... yes we may have defended well against 15 men, but in the end we got smashed!!... we really do need a decent game against the blues, or the crowds will start to drop off.......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    ...or the crowds will start to drop off.......
    A wise man once quoted to me, "Watch your thoughts, lest they become words, watch your words, lest they become actions."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    it's not so much the penalties he called on the force, it's the ones he missed for the sharks.
    Bingo. Gutsy effort from the boys in Blue, especially when considering they were one man down, but hard to compete when Sharks continually offside. None the less. Great atmosphere last night and looking forward to the rest of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    dont bring me in to this, i thought it was a straight red!......same old same old, we lose blame the ref, did anyone miss the ball retention on the first try when both teams had 15 on the park.... lets face it we were woeful last night..... yes we may have defended well against 15 men, but in the end we got smashed!!... we really do need a decent game against the blues, or the crowds will start to drop off.......
    first 15 mins ball retention means aboslutely nothing in the context of 1 game then a bye, you'd expect that.

A straight red card could only fairly given to Fairbanks since he was the player who tilted the tackled player past the horizontal, Sidey just lifted his legs in a normal tackle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    A wise man once quoted to me, "Watch your thoughts, lest they become words, watch your words, lest they become actions."
    burgs thats way too deep!.......especially on your birthday....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast