Thread: Ripia out of clash with the Sharks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ripia out of clash with the Sharks

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    March 1, 2011, 6:49 am

Star signing Willie Ripia is unlikely to make his Western Force Super Rugby debut in the third-round clash against the unbeaten Sharks at nib Stadium on Saturday.

Ripia, who joined the Force from the Hurricanes, has not trained since picking up a foot injury in their first pre-season trial against the Australian Barbarians almost a month ago.

His absence will mean another intriguing tussle for James O'Connor, who will line up in the No.10 jumper opposite another 20-year old, the Durban-based club's Patrick Lambie.

Two weeks ago, O'Connor outshone rival and good mate Quade Cooper in the season opener against the Queensland Reds.

Lambie, who made his Springbok debut on the tour of the UK last year, put in a man-of-the-match performance, scoring 21 points in the 26-12 weekend win over the Blues in Durban with a try, four penalties and two conversions.

The result left them top of the South African conference ladder and second in overall standings.

Force coach Richard Graham will undoubtedly have hatched a plan to shackle Lambie in the same way they kept Cooper quiet in the Reds game.

They will pressure him with strong, aggressive line-speed defence to limit his time and space.

But they will also want to spoil the breakdown where Graham has identified other dangers, particularly hooker Bismarck du Plessis - a Force recruiting target after the 2008 season - and the back row of Keegan Daniel, Willem Alberts and Ryan Kankowski.

The Sharks pushed up hard against the Blues and ran the ball back with interest when the New Zealanders kicked poorly.

"Having Bismarck du Plessis gives them some genuine go forward," Graham said. "Their back row, they're big men, and again will give them go forward.

"The Sharks were impressive (against the Blues), a big physical side. I'm not surprised with the way they played.

"For us, this weekend is about trying to put as much pressure on them at the set piece as we can and also controlling the gain line.

"We've worked incredibly hard. The boys are very keen to get started."

The Force yesterday announced the re-signing of second-rower Sam Wykes and winger Nick Cummins for two more years.

Graham said he was pleased the pair had made that commitment.

"It shows confidence in the program - two boys with an enormous future," he said.

"Probably over the last few years (they) haven't really understood what it means to be a professional athlete, but certainly through their efforts in pre-season I think they have now come to realise what it takes."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...th-the-sharks/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Lambie is a different player to Quade.. he is a tactician.. a classic fly half.. he has a good passing game, nimble feet and great awareness... i doubt the shut down tactic will work with him.. he'll just end up chipping behind and let his runners collect..

vCash
    At the time of his injury it was reported that his foot had been stomped on, implying that he was only suffering some bruising and was left out of the following trial as a precautionary measure.

That was a month ago and I wonder if the club could be more up-front with the fans and tell us what the extent of the injury is and when he is expected to be fit to play?....

vCash
    Unless it was swollen, hiding a small fracture
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Lambie will surpass Carter within two years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I don't so much care about two years, I'm interested in Saturday!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    JO'C is the better player, Lambie is the better Flyhalf.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Unless it was swollen, hiding a small fracture
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thats my point, jono - why isn't the info out there so we know what's going on...

surely this isn't the sort of information that requires ASIO clearance..

(and no, I didn't call anyone Shirley..)

vCash
    I mentioned here at the time of the injury that a protective boot is not used for simple bruising. I thought it may be more serious. I've had stress fractures in both feet and ended up with a bone graft and screws. I read somewhere in the press in the past week where Sharpie was quoted as saying that "nobody seems to know a lot about this type of injury" (or similar). I could also be a cartilege injury. Whatever, these injuries can be difficult to get over or even to decide the best method of treatment.

It would be nice if the Force came out and let us know what's the go but if it is a cartilege or similar they can't rush it and probably don't want to publicise it to the oppo. There are the odd couple of unsavory characters playing at S15 level.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    But we don't play the Stormers that soon do we?

C'mon the

vCash
    As long as they don't rush him back its all fine, JOC will do fine at 10 in the meantime.

As for shutting down Lambie, i agree with above. He doesn't require the time and space Quade needs to do his work, rushing up won't do a thing. I'd say the Force defence will be more focused on the Sharks outside backs and their superior kicking game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    But we don't play the Stormers that soon do we?
    Bingo!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    any more news on this.

i can't take my "WE HAVE THE SLICKEST WILLY!!" banner along if he's not playing..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc