Thread: SOLDIERS INSPIRATION

vCash

SOLDIERS INSPIRATION

Thursday, 24 February 2011 3:32pm
    RugbyWA

Coach Richard Graham, Sgt Michael Lyddiard, Captian Nathan Sharpe

Emirates Western Force players were lucky enough to be addressed by inspirational Australian Digger Sergeant Michael Lyddiard prior to training on Thursday morning at McGillivray Oval.

Sgt Lyddiard, who was severely injured during a tour of Afghanistan, has shown enormous mental and physical strength to overcome his disabilities and will compete in the Rottnest Channel Swim on Saturday raising money for Legacy.

It was an opportune time for the group to hear from Sgt Lyddiard with the disappointment of the club’s one point loss to Queensland still lingering. His address covered a wide range of issues including mateship, team work and how he coped with losing his right arm, vision in his right eye and a number of other of his senses after being blown up by an improvised explosive device (IED) while serving his country.

“The biggest message I try giving is to crave a sense of accomplishment, knowing your weaknesses and strengths and relying on each other as a team,” said Sgt Lyddiard.

“Also empowerment, obviously everyone brings something different to the team and by everyone’s different perspective or methodologies they can always improve a side.

“I also spoke about feeling and the meaning of how to work as a team and what they get out of the actual physical aspect of things,” he added.

Refusing to let his physical disabilities control his life Sgt Lyddiard has successfully completed various long distance swimming events around the country and is in Perth to tackle his greatest aquatic challenge to date, the 20km from Cottesloe to Rottnest. While he admitted feeling excited but anxious ahead of the event, he had plenty of experience finding self-motivation during tough times.

“I think it comes down to life experience and what you’re actually trying to achieve in life,” he said.

“I’m trying to move forward all the time and trying to prove to myself that I can get that sense of accomplishment.

“Hopefully I can prove to myself that I’m capable of doing more things than I think I’m capable of doing and through that empower others.

“At my time of need I was trying to grab on to something to inspire me so I can see why people look for inspiration and things to motivate them.”

Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach Phil Blake was grateful for the opportunity to hear Sgt Lyddiard speak and felt there was a lot to be gained from his address.

“I think there were a few messages to take away but obviously some of the main ones were relying on each other, team work and how precious it is,” he said.

“We play rugby for the enjoyment and we all think that the stakes are high, which they are in our little world, but in his world it’s a whole different sphere of commitment and relying on each other.

“They’re playing for keeps so you’ve got nothing but respect for Mick and for all the boys that are over there (serving in the Defence Forces).

“We see it on a daily basis on the news but because it doesn’t impact us on a day to day basis we kind of lose the fact that they are there and what they’re there for. When you actually see someone like Mick in person and he relates the story in his own wounds you’re certainly taken aback.”

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 24-02-11 at 15:01.