Thread: New-and-improved Western Force answer critics after gallant loss

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

New-and-improved Western Force answer critics after gallant loss

Michael Washbourne From: PerthNow February 21, 2011 3:40PM 1 comment

DOMINANT DISPLAY: James O'Connor starred in the Western Force's heartbreaking loss to Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium. Picture: Bradley Kanaris Source: Getty Images

WESTERN Force coach Richard Graham is surprised but unfazed by critics and other Super Rugby clubs writing off his team’s chances so early in the season.

The Force almost produced the upset of the opening round of the 2011 season, but fell agonisingly short of victory against the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

Force players and coaches arrived back from Brisbane this afternoon and were upbeat about their prospects this season despite the heartbreaking one-point loss to the Reds.

The gallant defeat is likely to change the minds of several critics and opposition clubs about the new-look Force, but Graham is not interesting in hearing what others have to say about his team.

“The only people that really have got the right to predict something are those people involved,” Graham said.

“What other people think at this point I don’t really care.

“The quality in the side is evident. We have 12 Wallabies in the squad and then you have (Willie) Ripia and (David) Smith who have played a lot of Super Rugby.

“I’m not sure why a lot of people have written us off this early in the season, but I’m confident with what we’ve got.”

Graham would have taken a lot of heart from the effort of his charges, but none more than the man-of-the-match display by rising star James O’Connor.

Starting at five-eighth in the absence of Ripia, the Wallabies youngster scored a try and converted five-from-six in a head-to-head battle with good mate Quade Cooper.

But like O’Connor, Graham was disappointed his side did not return to Perth with the victory.

“We went over there with a really clear goal of coming back with four points and we didn’t achieve that,” Graham said.

“We were probably the masters of our own demise. We controlled the game for about 70 minutes…but we just didn’t finish it.

“We didn’t control the field position in that first 40 minutes to (be able to) have more points on the board, but I thought the pressure was showing.”

The Force has the bye this week and will use the time off to prepare for back-to-back home games against the Sharks and Blues.

Prop Matt Dunning, back Mark Bartholomeusz and lock Tom Hockings are in the selection mix for the clash with the Sharks.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226009616763

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hockings couldnt do any worse then sykes surel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Prop Matt Dunning, back Mark Bartholomeusz and lock Tom Hockings are in the selection mix for the clash with the Sharks.
    Hmm .. I hope we don't gamble with Matt Dunning.

All due respect to the guy , he single handedly created the majority of our penalties in the scum last season..... Our forward pack was solid last night.... so, he sub on late in the game... I hope he's not a starter though.

vCash
    To Be fair to Dunning he is probably the most technically proficient prop we have.. apart from perhaps Pek.. The Sharks have a vastly superior scrum than the reds with many years more experience.. makes sense to give donut a go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    To Be fair to Dunning he is probably the most technically proficient prop we have.. apart from perhaps Pek.. The Sharks have a vastly superior scrum than the reds with many years more experience.. makes sense to give donut a go.
    Fairbrother would IMO be the most technically proficient at the Force, PEK would be behind Fairbrother and Dunning, but ahead of Longbottom.

vCash
    fair enough, I didnt think of Fairbrother, he is certainly as proficient if not more then Pek but not Dunning IMO...

vCash
    Dunning is much better on the tighthead side then the loose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Fairbrother would IMO be the most technically proficient at the Force, PEK would be behind Fairbrother and Dunning, but ahead of Longbottom.
    Hoping Kieran can take it up another level this season. He's 25 now and has been around the Force since he was about 20. He's bulked up to 113kg and looks powerful. The scrum performed equally well after he subbed on last week. After the rotten luck dealt Ryan Tyrell and Justin Turner, someone's gotta fly the WA flag.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    K Bomb is finally reaching his Super Rugby potential and good luck to him. Love Dunning but I cannot see him starting over Pek and Tim F as they are good enough to handle the Sharks pack................... even the beast!