NICK TAYLOR, BRISBANE, The West Australian
February 19, 2011, 3:25 pm

Getty Images ©
Western Force star flanker David Pocock says he can't wait for tomorrow's flyhalf clash between teammate James O'Connor and the Queensland Reds' Quade Cooper.

The Wallaby pair are good mates off the field but will battle it out after O'Connor was thrust into the No10 spot following the late withdrawal of Force's new signing Willie Ripia with a foot injury.

"I cant wait to see him (O'Connor) and Quade go head-to-head," John Eales Medallist Pocock said at the Force final training session at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium today.

"They're always at it after (Wallaby) training, seeing who can step better and who's faster, so I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

"They're both pretty competitive but James is in my team so I'll back him."

Pocock will have his first hit-out in the Super Rugby opener, having been rested from the Force two pre-season trials.

But he is good shape and expecting a physical encounter.

"I'm feeling good," he said.

"I've put a lot of running into my legs in the last few weeks and that has been good.

"There's no substitute for match fitness but I'll see how we go.

"It's the first round of Super Rugby so everybody's going to be pretty physical.

"The Reds got a lot momentum second half of last year and a lot of guys were in the Wallabies, so they'll be pretty confident coming into the game.

"Take any team lightly and you'll pay for it and the Reds have got attacking threats all over the field and their defence in the trials was really good."

Pocock, who moved from Brisbane to the Force, is expecting a tasty reception from the Reds fans.

"Queensland is one of the more hostile crowds to play in front of," he said.

"We look forward to it, it's part of the game. Any game between Australian franchises is huge.

"You always see players lift because you know the other guys so well. A lot of (Force) guys are from Queensland, so it gives it that extra meaning."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...oper-showdown/