Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force coach springs first surprise

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force coach springs first surprise

WESTERN Force coach Richard Graham has sprung at least one surprise on Queensland by deciding to use Wallabies utility James O'Connor at fullback in Sunday's Super Rugby derby at Suncorp Stadium.

O'Connor appeared to have been working his way in closer to the action during Force's pre-season trials, with most expecting Graham, in selecting his first starting side as coach, would succumb to what seems the inevitable and pick O'Connor at five-eighth.

Certainly that is what O'Connor's close friend, Queensland Reds playmaker Quade Cooper, was expecting yesterday.

"I'm guessing he'll be in the midfield around 10 (five-eighth) or 12 (inside centre)," Cooper said. "They'll need his ball skills around the ball and his running game."

Graham, however, appears more than content to entrust the playmaking duties to marquee signing, former Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia. The only complication was the foot injury Ripia sustained when a teammate trod on him in training this week, but the bruising has subsided enough for him to be cleared to play. Sore foot or not, Ripia will need to hit the ground running with Graham well aware he has in O'Connor a player more than capable of "quarterbacking" the team.

O'Connor's ball skills and running game certainly will not be wasted at fullback.

With another former Hurricanes back, David Smith, and Nick Cummins expected to fill the wing berths in the side to be named today, Force should not be beaten for speed, even by a team as quick as Queensland.

It is unlikely secondrower and captain Nathan Sharpe will be up to speed after missing Force's two trials because of a hernia operation but just the presence of the 93-Test veteran will be enough to settle down the rebuilt side.

Indeed, Sharpe has even helped calm the nerves of his coach as Graham prepares for his first outing as boss.

"Of course I'm excited but it definitely helps to be able to call on guys like Sharpie, Matt Dunning and Mark Bartholomeusz," Graham said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226007211476

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    You wonder where Wayne Smith gets this info or if its just a beat-up for a story. There is an article in todays West dated 6 hrs after this one saying RG wont announce his team until tomorrow.

I dont have any problems with JOC at 15 but I would rather play a fit Shep at 15 and have JOC at12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    You wonder where Wayne Smith gets this info or if its just a beat-up for a story. There is an article in todays West dated 6 hrs after this one saying RG wont announce his team until tomorrow.

I dont have any problems with JOC at 15 but I would rather play a fit Shep at 15 and have JOC at12.
    He got this stuuf from Quade, so it must be true

vCash
    Is sheppard not suspended for the first two games?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    You wonder where Wayne Smith gets this info .
    I wonder where he gets bullshit like this...

O'Connor a player more than capable of "quarterbacking" the team.
    . FFS!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Is sheppard not suspended for the first two games?
    The 2 week ban is a suspended sentence meaning it will only apply if he stuffs up again.

vCash
    So his suspension was suspended?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yes

Champion
    vCash
    I reckon JOC will start at 15 with Sheps on the bench (maybe in charge of drinks!!!) and if Gene stuffs up and cant handle Quad JOC will move ito inside.

Champion
    vCash

Wayne SMith never was one for accuracy.... dont trust anything he writes

vCash
    I dont understand. Why fluff about. Put our best team out there which means imo JOC at 12 and sheps at 15.

vCash
    from a Reds perspective i would much rather see Fairbanks starting in the centers then JOC...

vCash
    Maybe there's a fitness question mark over Shep

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    WESTERN Force coach Richard Graham has sprung at least one surprise on Queensland by deciding to use Wallabies utility James O'Connor at fullback in Sunday's Super Rugby derby at Suncorp Stadium.

O'Connor appeared to have been working his way in closer to the action during Force's pre-season trials, with most expecting Graham, in selecting his first starting side as coach, would succumb to what seems the inevitable and pick O'Connor at five-eighth.

Certainly that is what O'Connor's close friend, Queensland Reds playmaker Quade Cooper, was expecting yesterday.

"I'm guessing he'll be in the midfield around 10 (five-eighth) or 12 (inside centre)," Cooper said. "They'll need his ball skills around the ball and his running game."

Graham, however, appears more than content to entrust the playmaking duties to marquee signing, former Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia. The only complication was the foot injury Ripia sustained when a teammate trod on him in training this week, but the bruising has subsided enough for him to be cleared to play. Sore foot or not, Ripia will need to hit the ground running with Graham well aware he has in O'Connor a player more than capable of "quarterbacking" the team.

O'Connor's ball skills and running game certainly will not be wasted at fullback.

With another former Hurricanes back, David Smith, and Nick Cummins expected to fill the wing berths in the side to be named today, Force should not be beaten for speed, even by a team as quick as Queensland.

It is unlikely secondrower and captain Nathan Sharpe will be up to speed after missing Force's two trials because of a hernia operation but just the presence of the 93-Test veteran will be enough to settle down the rebuilt side.

Indeed, Sharpe has even helped calm the nerves of his coach as Graham prepares for his first outing as boss.

"Of course I'm excited but it definitely helps to be able to call on guys like Sharpie, Matt Dunning and Mark Bartholomeusz," Graham said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226007211476
    try again Wayne

vCash
    Try not to fret about the east coast media
    It's tomorrows fish and chip paper. Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one
    I take my revenge by niggling Tah fans. I've found they bite even better than QLDers due to an unfounded superiority complex. Tah wannabe's bite better than marlin. I'm fishing with 500lb braid

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast