Dale Granger From: The Sunday Times February 12, 2011 6:30PM

MAKING AMENDS: Force winger Cameron Shepherd breaks his silence about his off field issues, saying he wants to repay the Force faithful. Picture: Alf Sorbello. Source: PerthNow

WESTERN Force star Cameron Shepherd has broken his silence on his binge drinking problem, revealing how he feared for his way of life after being arrested for drunken driving.

In an exclusive interview with The Sunday Times the Force pin-up admitted he had a problem with alcohol and revealed how his girlfriend Sam Bonar had helped him confront his addiction.

Following his conviction in a Perth Magistrate's Court, Shepherd was given a $15,000 fine and a two-match suspended sentence by an ARU tribunal for bringing the game into disrepute after being arrested in December for driving under the influence with a suspended licence.

The incident followed an earlier court appearance five years ago in Sydney, where Shepherd appeared for damaging a car door, kicking it while under the influence of alcohol, following a friend's 21st birthday party.

Related Coverage
Cameron Shepherd: 'Time to put bottle away'
More Rugby: All the action from the field

This week Shepherd apologised to his family, friends and fans, saying: "I am not going to make excuses for my actions. But I am truly sorry, especially for our rugby fans in Perth and our sponsors and the pain I have caused, especially to young rugby players. As a role model it is my responsibility to lead by example and I made mistakes. At least now I have the opportunity to make amends."

Opening up about his binge drinking, Shepherd said: "I have never been good at expressing myself and when things go wrong I used alcohol to make me look better and escape what I had to deal with. It got to the point where I went through so many peaks and troughs that I hardly knew where the level ground was anymore."

The winger revealed how he had reached rock bottom, saying: "When you get to the point where you can possibly lose everything, your partner, family and your job, life starts to get pretty intense.

"Losing my life is the most general way I can look at it. I've had a lot of sleepless nights.

"The hardest part was facing the last seven days before Court and my ARU hearing knowing there might be drastic changes in my life.

"Even though I come from Sydney, now my life is in Perth. I see Perth as home and if my contract was cancelled or I had to leave Perth, that would be a massive life-changing experience for me.

"It has been an eye-opening issue, a major thing for me because it is too easy for me, or anyone with an addiction, to convince yourself the opposite.

"It was not until I sat down with my partner, Sam, and she told me it was time to start making changes that I had to be willing to make myself, or nothing else would put me right, that my life started getting back on track.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226004944479