Thread: FORCE FALL TO TAHS IN TRIAL

vCash

FORCE FALL TO TAHS IN TRIAL

he Emirates Western Force will be better prepared for their round one clash against the Reds in just over a week after a tough trial match hit-out against the Waratahs in Nowra on Thursday night.

Coach Richard Graham praised the intensity and physicality shown by his side but also identified a number of areas to tidy up in their final week of preparations after going down 38-22 to the Tahs.

Coaching staff made a number of changes to the side that defeated the Barbarians a week earlier and the West Aussies started brightly with Nick Cummins and Cameron Shepherd registering tries in the opening 20 minutes. Cummins in particular looked dangerous every time he touched the ball and continually broke the NSW defensive line with his smart runs.

The set-piece though let the Perth side down with turnovers from line-outs allowing the Tahs breathing space and they made the most of the added ball-in-hand as they ran in three tries to take a 21-12 half time lead.

Two more tries to Waratahs winger Drew Mitchell after the break opened a handy lead for the home side however the Emirates Western Force hit back through young trial player Kieran Stringer and former Tahs centre Rory Sidey.

A last gasp try on the buzzer to the Tahs Greg Peterson pushed the margin back to 16 points however the final score line didn’t reflect the effort and opportunity created by the WA side and they will take some quality lessons from the encounter.

“I’m pleased with a number of things that came out of the game,” said Graham.

“It is evident that we’re going to ask questions of sides and we showed far greater physicality than we did last week coming up against a side that has spoken a lot about their physical preparation throughout the pre-season. I thought we matched that.

“Our set piece clearly at the start of the game wasn’t up to the mark. There were probably four or five possessions that you need to make the most of at Super Rugby to give you something to attack from and that was lacking but it improved throughout the game.

“The other area that we probably went away from that we were so good at last week, and throughout the preseason, was our catch-pass decision making. We had numerous opportunities to score tries that tonight we didn’t capitalise on.”

With youngster James O’Connor starting at flyhalf and several other combinations in and around the key playmaker area tried throughout the game it has given coaching staff plenty to digest as they formulate their strategy for the impending clash against the Reds.

“We made some changes but the important thing for us is that we control possession. We just got a little bit loose towards the end of the second half,” Graham said.

“Philosophically throughout the trials you want to put yourself under pressure and once or twice we would have probably kicked a little earlier but I think you find out a bit about yourself if you’re prepared to run the ball from your own 22.”

The club can also expect to have a host of experienced campaigners who missed this match available for the season opener including David Pocock and Willie Ripia while skipper Nathan Sharpe is set to step up his training following a hernia operation three weeks ago in a bid to prove his fitness for the Feb 20 clash.

Super Rugby Trial Match
    Thursday 10 February at Shoalhaven Rugby Park, Nowra
    Kick-off: 7:30pm (AEDT)
    Crowd: 4500

Emirates Western Force 22 (Tries: Nick Cummins, Cameron Shepherd, Kieran Stringer, Rory Sidey; Conversions: James O’Connor)
    NSW Waratahs 38 (Tries: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Tom Carter, Wycliff Palu, Drew Mitchell 2, Greg Peterson; Conversions: Daniel Halangahu 4)

Emirates Western Force: 1.Pek Cowan, 2.Nathan Charles, 3.Tim Fairbrother, 4.Phoenix Battye, 5.Ben McCalman, 6.Matt Hodgson (c), 7.Jono Jenkins, 8.Richard Brown, 9.James Stannard, 10.James O’Connor, 11.Alfie Mafi, 12.Gene Fairbanks, 13.Rory Sidey, 14.Nick Cummins, 15.Cameron Shepherd

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-02-11 at 21:35.

vCash
    Who is Kieran Stringer? where does he come from? what position does he play? was he just a ring-in on the night?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quick search has come up with: Plays for Cottesloe at lock. From what I can gather he is about 20-22 this year. Has been an age grade rep for WA. Obviously a planned involvement in the night's game as Sharpie and Hockings haven't featured yet.

Gotta be pretty happy with that result. While a win would've been better, we could add four or five players to make the side stronger. The difference between Phoenix Battye and Nathan Sharpe as well as Jono Jenkins and David Pocock is pretty huge. I think discounting injured players the only change the Tahs could've made would've been to have Benn Robinson in for Sekope Kepu. No a huge difference there.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Kieran Stringer has been training wth the Force for a great part of the pre season
    here is a photo of him: http://pspwa.com/photocart/index.php...ewImage=100643

Rookie
    vCash
    I thought I posted a report on the game earlier this morning but I must have pushed the wrong button. I posted it on another forum I post on so I will just post the link, if that is OK.

There were two games and I reported about them here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/for...-Force-A/page3

vCash
    I think Barnes was ruled out before the game as well

vCash
    Not a bad effort, considering the Willie Ripea interview on Fox news the other day.

Not the best accomodation for our boys, with all sorts of creatures about, and stifling heat in the match prior to this one taking some toll.

I am optomistic, roll on next week

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Grant View Post
    I thought I posted a report on the game earlier this morning but I must have pushed the wrong button. I posted it on another forum I post on so I will just post the link, if that is OK.

There were two games and I reported about them here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/for...-Force-A/page3
    a great report as always Lee but unfortunately it means having to struggle through a page or so of crap to get your pearls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Who is Kieran Stringer? where does he come from? what position does he play? was he just a ring-in on the night?
    He's a Perth boy, plays lock for cott. Played in the 09 Final. Played state u21s I think & has represented wa before. Went to same primary school as me & Benny cousins.
    Posted via Mobile Device