Thread: Rebels in hunt to snare Ioane

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rebels in hunt to snare Ioane

Bret Harris From: The Australian February 12, 2011 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels are making a big play for hard-running Wallabies outside back Digby Ioane for next year's Super Rugby series.

The Rebels attempted unsuccessfully to lure Ioane away from Queensland Reds for their inaugural season, but The Weekend Australian can reveal they are making another determined bid for him.

Rebels head coach Rod Macqueen values powerful midfielders and Ioane would add strike power at outside centre or on the wing. The Rebels have two damaging ball-running centres in rugby league convert Cooper Vuna and former Wallaby captain Stirling Mortlock, but Mortlock will turn 35 next year.

A move to the Rebels could be an attractive option for Ioane, who grew up in Melbourne after migrating from New Zealand. His family still lives in the Victorian capital.

If the Melbourne business community gets behind an attempt to poach Ioane, the Reds may find it difficult to compete financially.

Ioane was a key component of the Reds' renaissance last year under coach Ewen McKenzie and his departure would be a major setback.

Although he missed the Wallabies' tour of Hong Kong and Europe last November because of injury, Ioane will also figure prominently in Australia coach Robbie Deans' World Cup plans.

Wallabies inside back Berrick Barnes has revealed he is working on improving his own attacking game, after re-committing to the ARU and the NSW Waratahs for another two years.

Barnes fought his way back into the Wallabies' starting line-up at inside centre on the tour of Hong Kong and Europe last November, after spending almost a year on the reserves bench.

"Last year was a tough year," Barnes said. "I got to see how in one year things can change.

"I had a good look at my game. I've worked on attacking, myself, and taking on the line rather than just passing.

"I've worked on my footwork and playing touch has helped.

"Robbie Deans (Wallaby coach) gave me some advice on what I had to do to get back in the team. I worked hard and it was nice to be rewarded."

Barnes rejected lucrative offers from France to stay in Australia.

As a goal-kicking five-eighth with a strong passing and tactical kicking game, Barnes would be highly successful in European rugby.

"I had options on the table, which is a nice space to be in," Barnes said. "At the end of the day this is the right decision for me.

"You don't want to look back and kick yourself if you went too early."

At the moment Barnes is focused on helping the Waratahs win their maiden Super Rugby title. "I've got an opportunity to achieve something with the Waratahs," Barnes said.

"The Wallaby stuff is down the track. You have to prove yourself again. We'll see what happens. I know from experience the World Cup is an amazing event. To experience it again would be fantastic.

"It is going to be an exciting year, but there will be another 100 players trying to make the (Wallaby) team.

"I have to work on my game here. I have to make it work."

Barnes did not play in the Waratahs' 38-22 win over the Western Force in their trial in Nowra last Thursday night because of a quadriceps strain, but he will be fine for the opening match of the season against the Rebels in Melbourne next Friday night.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226004682891

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    they will be in the chase for any decent player off contract i would imagine, they have said they are chasing Ben McCalman as well

vCash
    they'd be crazy not to...
    hopefully we can keep him here

vCash
    Digby would be a liability as he'd get homesick & walk out on his contract.

The Force can expect to lose at least one Wallaby back-rower at contract time.
    Posted via Mobile Device