Thread: Ryan Cross to start for Waratahs against Western Force February 8, 2011

Champion
    vCash

Exclamation Ryan Cross to start for Waratahs against Western Force February 8, 2011

Chance to impress . . . Ryan Cross will start for the Waratahs against his former team, the Western Force. Photo: Getty Images

Former NRL star Ryan Cross will start in the centres for the NSW Waratahs in their final pre-season hitout against his old Super rugby club the Western Force on Thursday at Shoalhaven.

NSW have made just two changes from the team that demolished the Fiji Warriors 41-13 last Friday with Cross one of those fresh faces at outside centre.

Cross, who had nine years in the NRL with Sydney Roosters before joining the Force in 2007, gets his chance to impress NSW coach Chris Hickey ahead of this year's Super rugby season opener against Melbourne on Friday week.

Advertisement: Story continues below "Individually it is important players have the opportunity to perform and so we want to ensure they are all going into next week with significant game time under their belt," said Hickey.

"There are still a number of players in the curtain-raiser side who will be selected for round one and we are keen to see them have a good hit-out in that match."

The 31-year-old Cross signed a one-year deal with the Waratahs and will partner Tom Carter in the midfield.

Lachie Turner returns to the wing in place of Afa Pakalani for Friday's clash after an impressive performance at outside centre against Fiji.

Pakalani will now start for the Junior Waratahs in the curtain raiser against Western Force A.

Wallabies Benn Robinson (calf) and Rob Horne (elbow) have been left out of the match day squads, however they will continue to train with the team in the lead-up to the match.

A list of reserves who will receive game time across both matches is still being finalised.

NSW Waratahs: Kurtley Beale, Lachie Turner, Ryan Cross, Tom Carter, Drew Mitchell, Berrick Barnes, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, Phil Waugh (capt), Ben Mowen, Dean Mumm, Kane Douglas, Al Baxter, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu.

Gee thats an impressive line up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do I count 14 past/current Wallabies!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    At 31, probably the last time Cross will be referred to as a "fresh face"

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    i hope we run at him all game in this trial. his tackling was never convincing.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I didn't think the tackling was the big deal it was more the pointlessly flying up in defence and putting pressure on the rest of our line.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran
    vCash
    and he kept dieing with the ball last season, where the one before he had a wickid leg drive and kept going!

vCash
    I agree with you James and palitu. He put the line under pressure and had trouble getting over the advantage line. Be interesting to see if he has got a better head for defence and his drive back....hmmm hope not.

Go The Force!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    He didn't do too much tonight that is for sure!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!