Thread: Chisholm finally stands out from crowd as skipper

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Chisholm finally stands out from crowd as skipper

Chisholm finally stands out from crowd as skipper AKA: Chisholm is fourth rated leader

James Buckley
    February 1, 2011

Mark Chisholm has finally earned the little (c) next to his name on the ACT Brumbies team sheet following 88 Super Rugby appearances and 58 Wallabies caps.

Chisholm will captain the Brumbies in Darwin on Friday night against the Queensland Reds, leading a team missing its three-pronged leadership group of Stephen Hoiles, Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom, and Wallaby outside centre Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Hoiles is recovering from Achilles tendon and back problems, Elsom has a hamstring injury while Giteau and Ashley-Cooper will be rested.

It's paved the way for Chisholm to lead the team on to the field in his ninth season at the Brumbies, a task he considers a tremendous honour.

"It means a fair bit," Chisholm said after coach Andy Friend released his 26-man squad for the trial.

"I've put in a lot of effort over the years, coming down in 2002 and to now to get a chance to run the side out is very emotional to me and it's something that I've worked very hard on.

"When Friendy called me up and said, 'Would you like to lead the side' I was very stoked and very happy.

"I'm not a great inspirational talker to the boys but hopefully it's my actions on the field that are pumping them up and getting them to follow me."

With Elsom to miss round one and Hoiles still doubtful for the season opener against the Chiefs, Chisholm may be called upon for further responsibility at the Brumbies' helm when the Super 14 season begins, although Friend wouldn't speculate on the future captaincy.

"That's to be decided; we'll see how he goes this weekend," Friend said.

"It's a great honour for him. Chis has been around for over 80 Super Rugby games and over 50 Test matches.

"He's been training really well this year I've been really impressed with his attitude and his actions, hence the reasons for giving him the captaincy."

Running on to the field behind Chisholm at Austar Park in Darwin will likely be five debutants with Clinton Sills, Liam Winton, Ita Vaea, Samu Wara and Henry Speight selected in the Brumbies squad to make their debuts.

Pat McCabe and Christian Lealiifano have both been named and will be rotated through the game at fullback, while Matt Toomua will assume flyhalf duties.

Friend also plans to experiment with the perimeter of his scrum Julian Salvi will play half the game at open-side flanker, before Michael Hooper takes his place and steps in as No7.

Colby Faingaa will be used at blindside flanker and Ita Vaea will start at No.8, and could be replaced by Salvi after half-time.

The Queensland Reds come into the game after thumping the Canterbury Crusaders 42-15 on Saturday, and Friend expects a challenging hit-out.

Brumbies squad:

Forwards: Mark Chisholm (captain), Ben Alexander, Mitchell Chapman, Colby Faingaa, Ben Hand, Anthony Hegarty, Michael Hooper, Salesi Ma'afu, Stephen Moore, Jono Owen, Dan Palmer, Julian Salvi, Ita Vaea, Liam Winton.

Backs: Robbie Coleman, Franky Fainifo, Christian Lealiifano, Pat McCabe, Patrick Phibbs, Clint Sills, Andrew Smith, Tyrone Smith, Henry Speight, Matt Toomua, Josh Velentine, Samu Wara.

Canberra Times

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    after all those games for the brumbies and aus you would have thought he might have lost the title of MR OVERRATED but some blind muppet keeps picking him?!?!?

vCash
    woah, hello stranger!

vCash
    Chisholm goes pretty well at Super Rugby level, he does tend to go missing though