Thread: Adam Ashley-Cooper Re-signs with Australian Rugby - but not with Brumbies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Adam Ashley-Cooper Re-signs with Australian Rugby - but not with Brumbies

February 07, 2011 - 10:15am
    Story by: ARU

Adam Ashley Cooper has become the second member of the Qantas Wallabies to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union within four days after updating his contract for a further two years.

The 26-year-old, who made his debut against South Africa at Perth in 2005, follows in the footsteps of hooker Stephen Moore, who re-signed for another two years late last week.

Like his Brumbies colleague Moore, Ashley-Cooper says the progress made by the Wallabies over recent seasons, and the promise of good times to come, proved too hard to ignore.

“I feel that I’ve got a lot more to offer in the Australian jersey. I am excited by what is coming up, both at the Rugby World Cup later this year and onwards through until the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia in 2013,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“I think there is a lot more that we can achieve as a team and I want to be a part of that. When it all came down to it as far as my future is concerned, I’m not ready to leave just yet.”

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O'Neill said he was delighted with the decision by Ashley-Cooper to remain, coming as it did so soon after Moore also re-committed until after the British & Irish Lions visit.

"Adam is a world-class player across a number of positions, so it's not surprising there was intense interest from overseas parties keen to secure his services after the Rugby World Cup," Mr O'Neill said.

"To his credit, Adam kept us informed of his situation, made it clear he was keen to stay in Australia, and throughout the negotiation process acted at all times with integrity and honesty.

"We're extremely pleased to have reached an agreement with him that will keep him in Australia until the end of 2013, when the British and Irish Lions tour here.

"Playing against the Lions is for players a once in a lifetime opportunity and it's satisfying to see that many of our key Wallabies are placing those sorts of experiences high on their priorities list when it comes to deciding where they want to be after the Rugby World Cup this year."

Ashley-Cooper, who debuted for the Brumbies in Super Rugby earlier in the same year as his maiden Test bow – 2005 – played his first international in unusual circumstances, after being a late inclusion in the squad for a Test against South Africa.

After not initially being in the match night squad for the game, he was summoned onto the bench after an injury in the warm up, and wound up becoming the 800th player to represent Australia in Tests when called onto the field.

“I am still as passionate about wearing the jersey and playing for Australia now as I was when I started,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“Having the opportunity to play more consistently in the last couple of years has only added to the enjoyment. Being able to share the experience with others, and the success that we’ve had, has been quite special.”

Ashley-Cooper’s importance to the Wallabies is highlighted by a summary of his appearance statistics in the three years since Robbie Deans took over as national coach.

The wonderfully versatile back has missed just four of the 43 Tests played by Australia since the start of 2008, last year becoming the 35th Australian to play 50 Test matches when he hit that mark during the win over Italy in Florence.

Ashley-Cooper has operated from four different positions in that time – fullback, wing, inside centre and centre – being predominantly employed in the latter role last term. His last nine appearances of 2011 were from centre.

He was also one of Australia’s busiest players in 2011, featuring in 14 of Australia’s 15 Tests, which was bettered only by skipperRocky Elsom and John Eales Medal winner David Pocock, who appeared in every game.

Only four players contributed more than the four tries Ashley-Cooper scored last year. Two of those were claimed in the historic wins over New Zealand in Hong Kong and France in Paris, with the try at the Stade de France taking his career tally to 16 from 51 Tests.

The try against the All Blacks was the sixth Ashley-Cooper had scored against the men in black from 14 Tests. Only David Campese (eight tries from 29 Tests) and Matthew Burke (seven) have more tries for the Wallabies against New Zealand.

Ashley-Cooper starts the newly expanded Super Rugby competition next week with 62 appearances beside his name for the Brumbies. He has conditionally re-signed with the Brumbies, alongside his updated ARU contract, but is taking time to consider his future at a provincial level.

For this, he has been granted an additional period of time by the Brumbies before confirming a final decision on which Australian Super Rugby side he plays for beyond this year.

"I love the Brumbies and the passion for the game in Canberra. I have enjoyed every minute to date playing for an organisation that prides itself on professionalism and a Rugby program that improves every player who comes through the system,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“In terms of where I will play in 2012 and 2013, I wanted first and foremost to know I would be in Australia. There were significant offers from overseas and I want to thank ARU for the manner in which negotiations proceeded without delay, and without pressure, to ensure I would continue to have the opportunity to do what I enjoy doing most - playing for the Wallabies.

“Now that we have resolution, and it came very quickly, I just want to take a little more time to look at my personal circumstances moving forward. The Brumbies have been great in allowing me that space. In principle I have agreed to stay but will make a final decision in the next few weeks."

After missing last week’s trial in Darwin, Ashley-Cooper will make his first appearance of 2011 for the Brumbies when the team has its final pre-season trial against the (Wellington) Hurricanes of New Zealand at Viking Park in Canberra on Thursday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    He's girlfriend lives in Sydney so there's a chance he'll be sporting the Sky Blue from next year onwards seeing as he hasn't committed to the Brumbies.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Either that or asking for a better apartment then Gits.

vCash
    I think he should stay at the brumbies. Gits won't be there next year and he'll actually get the football a bit, along with the fact that he'll be recognized for the god that he is without being white anted by a petulant has been.

Plus, with Mitch Inman looking like he's developing well, we don't really need a centre at the force.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    If Brumbies are smart, they'd give him vice captaincy role. Rocky is rumoured to heading back to UK after RWC. Gits to France, Hoiles would be captain. He is very good for the game, after Bam Bam, one of the hardest workers off the field.