Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fairbanks favoured in key role

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    February 4, 2011, 7:24 am
    Send
    Print

Getty Images © Enlarge photo
    Coach Richard Graham will be close to finalising the Western Force's make up for this season's Super Rugby after their first pre-season trial tomorrow.

He has revealed that four or five spots are still up for grabs for the opening fixture against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane in two weeks.

A major focus will be on the inside centre, one of last year's trouble spots where four players were used, including James O'Connor and Ryan Cross.

Final selections are far from set but tomorrow's hit-out against the Australian Barbarians in Sydney will give the first indication on who Graham is favouring for the No.12 jumper - and it is increasingly likely that new recruit Gene Fairbanks will be first choice.

Fairbanks is able to play across the back line, but he was recruited as an inside centre and the tenacious tackler is confident he will be lining up there.

"Definitely playing 12," he said. "There's still shuffling around, obviously starting positions are nowhere near selected yet, (but) I definitely will be playing at inside centre."

It is crucial the Force get their inside backs combination settled quickly so they can unleash the talent out wide and Fairbanks said he had struck up a good relationship with former Hurricanes playmaker Willie Ripia.

"Willie's a really good player to play with. He's a really intelligent player, he's got a tremendous kicking game and passing game," Fairbanks said.

"Willie and myself throwing to those guys at the back where our class really is, that will work well for us."

Graham has opted for O'Connor at full-back despite his impressive performances on the wing for Australia on last year's northern hemisphere tour.

"At this stage he's going to start at 15," Graham said. "You may see him move during the game, it will be dependent on how we're going as a side and how well we've settled."

Force starting XV *- Pek Cowan, Nathan Charles, Tim Fairbrother, Sam Wykes, Phoenix Battye, Richard Brown, Matt Hodgson (capt), Ben McCalman, James Stannard, Willie Ripia, Alfie Mafi, Gene Fairbanks, Mitch Inman, David Smith, James O'Connor

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...d-in-key-role/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'd much rather know what the plan is for covering #10.

Seems to me there is plenty of cover for the inside/outside backs, but not so much with 10.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    According to Graham it will be O'Connor and Fairbanks as backup to Ripia. Presumably in that order. Bartholomeusz is also an option. He played 10 when we belted the Reds in the pre-season last year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.