Thread: Tahs' Kane not just willing and able, but taller as well

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tahs' Kane not just willing and able, but taller as well

Tahs' Kane not just willing and able, but taller as well

Josh Rakic
    January 14, 2011

KANE DOUGLAS cut an intimidating figure last season, and promises to imbue the Waratahs pack with even more menace this year.

The 21-year-old has reported for training two centimetres taller and eight kilograms heavier than at the same stage last year. That's 202cm and 123kg - the latter being the result of a gruelling off-season weights program.

The brother of NRL star Luke Douglas already has 12 Waratahs caps and an Australian Barbarians appearance to his name, and many pundits are tipping a Wallabies jersey for the Northern Rivers product in the not too distant future.

For now, the Cronulla-based second-rower insisted his focus was on retaining his starting spot in a full-strength Waratahs squad of 31.

''There are another few second-rowers in the side this year with Pat O'Connor, Dean Mumm and the like, so first and foremost I want to cement a position there, and that means having to do my best every week,'' said Douglas, who has graduated from an academy player to fully fledged Waratah.

''And with the experience of last year, there's no room for any excuses not to, really. In the back of my mind the Wallabies thing is there, but I need to focus on the Waratahs first. I didn't think I'd be in this position this year - a full Super 14 season and Wallabies camp behind me.

''I joined the Wallabies' extended 10 [who were] added in July and played one of the Barbarians matches, and then I made the train-on squad before the spring tour. I exceeded all my expectation last year.

''But I've been in the system now for a few years, and with that Wallabies experience I have to keep moving forward and learn from it. And hopefully that will help me.''

One factor that will not hinder him is that his giant frame continues to expand.

''This time last year I was 115kg and now I'm 123kg - about 13 kg heavier than my big brother now. I've filled out a little bit [laughs]. I've gotten taller, too, I think.

''Starting every game this year is a big goal for me, and I think with the fighting for spots, it's only going to make the team go better. Even if some of the positions change around, everyone is fighting.

''But I feel like a real part of the team now, one of the boys this year. I'm not one of the kids any more, and hopefully I can show that on the field.''

Coach Chris Hickey certainly is not doubting Douglas's potential, declaring the 21-year-old a major part of his plans for this year as Hickey looks to extend his contract beyond this season.

''He's an imposing figure, and what he did last year was outstanding,'' Hickey said. ''To come from our academy and finish up starting in 12 of 13 games, he was fantastic.

''And he certainly hasn't rested on his laurels since the season completed. The work that he's done over the past six or so months has been amazing. He's now 123kg and getting fitter. We're expecting big things from Kane this year.''

Meanwhile, fellow second-rower Will Caldwell is resigned to watching the entire season from the sidelines as he battles Crohn's disease - a somewhat manageable intestinal inflammatory disease that attacks the body's immune system.

''Will has an illness he's been dealing with for a long while named Crohn's disease,'' Hickey revealed. ''He really battled through it in 2010 but on medical advice he came to the realisation that he really needs to take a season off to make sure he gets back to full health.

''It was really important that Will realised his health and not the Waratahs was number one.

''And if he can restore that, he may be able to recommence playing. He's making really good progress, and we have our fingers crossed for him.''

with AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    oooh big unit and getting bigger it seems!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Be interesting to see player movement after this year- Dan Vickerman signed for a couple of games this year and next season add to that Dean Mumm, Will Caldwell presumably being back, a rapidly improving Kane Douglas, Pat O'Connor and young Greg Peterson.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think we will have to be in the market for an experienced Lock after this season to bolster the depth, getting a bit light on.
    Such a shame Jones had to go, not that he is experienced of course, but he looked the goods.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The depth in Oz rugby continues to get deeper
    Douglass could become one of Australia's great locks. This bloke could be anything
    I hope the national selectors get him into the wallaby training squad tom put some polish on his game. When does Vickerman arrive for the Tahs?

Controversy corner

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Think I read something about mid season? He is still studying, I imagine exams would be May-June in England?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I was under the impression that at best he'd play 3 games plus any finals games. So 3 games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.