Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force player on drink drive charge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Cam should consider himself lucky he doesnt play soccer for the Brisbane Roar, they sacked there coach Frank Farina for getting done DUI.. He got done the morning after a big night as well
    OK I know nothing about it so this is a genuine question, was the drink driving thing used as an excuse to get rid of a guy they no longer wanted but couldn't sack? otherwise, it sounds pretty harsh (well, it's actually pretty harsh anyway, but....)

Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    They are called tabloids for that exact reason

No.....they're called tabloids because of the size of the paper they're printed upon, the other style of newspaper being called broadsheets.

If The West wants to be considered a tabloid then fine, but i doubt that is what they are aiming for.

The Age in Melbourne is a broadsheet and it publishes sport news. If Cam played for the Rebels and was in danger of suspension due to a drink driving charge, the Age would report it as well.......nothing to do with gutter press, it's news, a player might be suspended. they are reporting it. same as if he was being cited for a high tackle.

The West can publish whatever they like. All i am pointing out here is that doing this makes them an unreliable sensationalized tabloid and shouldn't be taken seriously. If you disagree and think media outlets picking and choosing what drink drivers are important for us to hear about makes them a reliable source of news then feel free to argue, but i don't see why you would.
    Yeah.....I disagree, they're not picking and choosing which drunk drivers they report about, they're advising the public of a possible suspension.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    its the nature of professional sport... players get paid to be a representative of the club and code... indiscretions can reflect poorly associated sponsors, hence why clubs and unions crack down on behavior.

I dont agree with the tabloid crap, but its there, we need to accept it..

vCash
    If he's going to get himself stuck in jail, which from the sounds of things is a realistic situation then he's not going to be avaliable for rugby games. He is paid to represent the Force, on the pitch and in public. He's royally cocked up his public image. But if he's unavaliable for games because he's locked up, his employers would be within their rights to shred his contract right now as his punishment for being.. and inadequate employee.

And because of the public nature of professional sport, the papers are just informing the umpteen people forking out for their force memberships that one of the players might not be avaliable to play rugby to help the club make finals because he's too busy being a moron.

Last edited by robyn <3; 16-01-11 at 20:00. Reason: lost my point :)

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    As long as as the punishment he gets from the ARU is consistent with the punishment other players have had for the similar incidents.
    I've been doing a bit of googling and can't find any details of Beale or Cooper missing games for their incidents? I may be wrong and they did get suspended.
    I certainly don't condone what Sheps did, just don't want to see a Force player being made a scapegoat of again - they seem to get a raw deal when other players' misdemeanours get swept under the carpet.
    (I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but history seems to show it's true!)

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    As long as as the punishment he gets from the ARU is consistent with the punishment other players have had for the similar incidents.
    He's probably due the death penalty since Tiqiri got the boot for what he did.

vCash
    Tuquiri didn't break a law......but he WAS in the team hotel at the time.

It also appeared from the outside that Lote wasn't a first time offender (I guess Cam isn't either, otherwise he'd have an active license, just saying)

Like I said earlier, I think the disrepute thing applies more to the negative press generated by the incident that the actual severity of the incident. Even though Cam's charge is much more serious than Quade's (well not the charge, but in the end Quade's was withdrawn ie in the long run, no conviction) or Kurtley's (who I think crashed whilst driving drunk) and Lote (who didn't actually do anything illegal that I know of) That's not what will be the determining factor. The more press we see about 'Cam Shepherd is another wild sportsman who is a danger to society, the worse it'll be for him.

It's a bugger that this is out in pre-season, when rugby writers don't have anything to distract their attention, but I reckon it's a complete diceroll what happens with the tribunal.

As for the criminal charge.......well Cam better buy himself a Chauffer!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Lote (who didn't actually do anything illegal that I know of)
    Should have been charged with multiple counts of killing the ball...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i remember a few years back Jargs, Mrs Jargs and I met the boys back at the airport from the NZ leg of the season and he had an armful of booze and we asked him about it and his reply was "this is the real reason i go away with the force"

we laughed because we thought it was a joke but i think there might be some truth in it.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    aren't we all thirsty?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    i remember a few years back Jargs, Mrs Jargs and I met the boys back at the airport from the NZ leg of the season and he had an armful of booze and we asked him about it and his reply was "this is the real reason i go away with the force"

we laughed because we thought it was a joke but i think there might be some truth in it.
    I'm never buying Kilkenny at the Domestic terminal again - it costs an arm and a leg
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Jeez, tough shout!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I'm never buying Kilkenny at the Domestic terminal again - it costs an arm and a leg
    How do you carry it back to the table?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe that's where hops came into brewing...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Maybe that's where hops came into brewing...
    OH MY GOD!

How 'dad joke' are you Burgs?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Come on, it was getting late

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast