Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force player on drink drive charge

vCash
    Drop him from the first 2 games - and make the rest of the team stare him down.

No excuse for drink driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    By that logic i would want the newspaper to publish every single person who gets caught drink driving in the newspaper. Is that what you want? IMO i think no one would read it.
    No one would read it, but it would scare people into thinking again when they think they're uinder the limit.

FWIW I think he should go to every force match and stand out front saying he was stupid enough to drive whilst drunk - just as anyone else should. But we shouldn't give him a light punishment just because someone else who isn't a star like him might just get a slap on the wrist.

That would be more of an injustice.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't care what anyone says, you sign up to be a pro sportsman you check normal society standards at the door.
    Part of being on the big bucks, like it or not, is being seen as a positive role model for your team and your community.
    Getting pulled over pissed without a license does not fit the program.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yes, that's why the ARU has a tribunal to assess players "bringing the game into disrepute" I personally think this carries less disrepute than the quokka thing.....not a personal observation, simply a judgement based upon the amount of media hype it has generated.

Cam was a dumb bastard to get in a car drunk, a particularly dumb bastard to get in a car without a license, doubly particularly dumb to do both at the same time, but he's not going to get the sack because of it. Other players have been in a similar boat and survived, cam will survive

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, you sign up to be a pro sportsman you check normal society standards at the door.
    Part of being on the big bucks, like it or not, is being seen as a positive role model for your team and your community.
    especially if one already is suspended from driving - twice.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I don't even think this is a case of professional sportsmen being held to a different standard than us - there are pretty basic laws we're all expected to adhere to and I think this is one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    Drop him from the first 2 games - and make the rest of the team stare him down.
    This isn't about teaching him a lesson. The police will give him the appropriate punishment, the Western Force have no place in law enforcement and should stay out of it.

No excuse for drink driving.
    Yea, and the police will deal with it.

No one would read it, but it would scare people into thinking again when they think they're uinder the limit.
    Fine, i don't care what they do. But this is no refutation to my point that either 'The West' publishes everyones DUI infringements, or publishes no ones.

FWIW I think he should go to every force match and stand out front saying he was stupid enough to drive whilst drunk - just as anyone else should.
    This is laughable, you think everyone who drink drives should stand out the front of Force games and admit what they did was wrong? Again, i don't care if you hold this view, it would surely bring down the number of 'drink drivers', but it in no way discredits anything i've had to say.

But we shouldn't give him a light punishment just because someone else who isn't a star like him might just get a slap on the wrist.
    All i'm saying is that everyone should get equal treatment regardless of their job. If you disagree i don't care, but if your going to tell me i'm wrong because enforcing double standards is somehow a good thing with no good justification for your argument, i'm going to keep telling you why it doesn't refute anything i've had to say.

That would be more of an injustice.
    So it would be an injustice to not enforce double standards on him. Do you actually want me to think like this?

vCash
    Mate you are hitting the nail on the head

I don't care how good you are on field but if you set a bad example of the field for the young ones then you don't belong in the limelight. Same with QC I will never have respect for him.

vCash
    One word: Taxi!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm pleading the 5th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I'm pleading the 5th

And I'm gonna have a couple more........

...............and walk my bicycle back to the hotel.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    He stuffed up royally, there is no denying that.
    The cops will issue their punishment, the Force will issue theirs and probably after a few games off the field and a significantly lightened wallet & an even longer suspended licence - he will play again and have to prove himself and earn back a decent amount of respect.
    Sheps is a good bloke and an excellent player who, it would seem, needs to get his stuff together. Hopefully he can, its world cup year and the team needs him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    This isn't about teaching him a lesson. The police will give him the appropriate punishment, the Western Force have no place in law enforcement and should stay out of it.
    If any force player does something illegal it reflects back on the club - and it's members. It's naive to think they should just stay out of it, when they're already involved.

Fine, i don't care what they do. But this is no refutation to my point that either 'The West' publishes everyones DUI infringements, or publishes no ones.
    So I guess after Charles/Di (sp) cheated on each other those tabloids should've printed everyone who committed adultery that year?

They're only going to print what people want to read. If you don't want to be in the newspaper labelled as a drunk driver then you shouldn't drive whilst drunk.

All i'm saying is that everyone should get equal treatment regardless of their job.
    Of course they should, but they won't. We might aswell argue over stopping the tide.

vCash
    Cam should consider himself lucky he doesnt play soccer for the Brisbane Roar, they sacked there coach Frank Farina for getting done DUI.. He got done the morning after a big night as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    If any force player does something illegal it reflects back on the club - and it's members. It's naive to think they should just stay out of it, when they're already involved.
    As a member i also think it reflects badly on members if the club tries to rule over the lives of players. But that means nothing, its just an opinion... The police will deal with him. There isn't much left for the club to do (besides bowing down to media pressure).

So I guess after Charles/Di (sp) cheated on each other those tabloids should've printed everyone who committed adultery that year?
    They are called tabloids for that exact reason, they publish this stalking rubbish. IF they wanted to be considered a reliable source of news, then they should do something along those lines.

If The West wants to be considered a tabloid then fine, but i doubt that is what they are aiming for. Either publishing DUI's is important news or its not. If a Chess player getting caught drink driving isn't important, then there is no reason to suggest a rugby player getting caught is important. All the West are doing is publishing sensationalized crap to pander to drama queens.

They're only going to print what people want to read. If you don't want to be in the newspaper labelled as a drunk driver then you shouldn't drive whilst drunk.
    The West can publish whatever they like. All i am pointing out here is that doing this makes them an unreliable sensationalized tabloid and shouldn't be taken seriously. If you disagree and think media outlets picking and choosing what drink drivers are important for us to hear about makes them a reliable source of news then feel free to argue, but i don't see why you would.

Last edited by jazza93; 16-01-11 at 00:54.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast