Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: preseason Super rugby news

vCash

preseason Super rugby news

Ok folks seeing as its a bit slow on the news front i thought id try consolidate all the news from around the place, rumours/ fact it doesnt matter we need something to read!!

Kockott joins Lions for 2011

Sharks scrum half and kicker Rory Kockott has joined the Lions for the 2011 Super 15 Rugby season.
    The move is a surprising one as Kockott will have to battle for his starting place with Emerging Springbok Jano Vermaak.
    Kockott says that he was impressed with the way the Lions improved through the Currie Cup."Negotiations started a few weeks back, but I officially signed the beginning of this week," the 24-year-old told iAfrica.
    http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28162

James set to return to Super rugby
    Butch "no-arms" James broke back into the Springbok squad last season but was injured playing for them in the TriNations.

Now that he is back in the fold for South Africa he stands a chance of playing in the Rugby world cup next year.

The Golden Lions Rugby Unions tried to buy James out of his Bath contract earlier this month but they failed in their bid as Bath and James wanted him to finish the season at The Rec.
    http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28211

Crusaders set to honour west coast miners
    The Crusaders will play their first home game at AMI Stadium in round three wearing a special edition red and white jersey commemarative jersey for West Coast rugby.

The Crusaders play their first home match in round three against the Waratahs on March the 4th and the 22 jerseys will be signed by the player who wore it in the match and auctioned on website Trade Me for the Pike River Mine mayoral fund.
    http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28142

Broussow on target for super return
    The Springboks and Cheetahs openside emerged as a dynamic fetcher during the 2009 Lions series given his ability to pinch ball at the breakdown, but suffered a knee injury midway through this year’s Super 14 which saw him miss the 2010 international season.

But it appears Brussow’s road to recovery might be finally over.

He has already begun training and should be ready to hit the road running at the start of next year’s Super 15.
    http://www.rugbynews.co.nz/news/inde...ticle-full.tpl

any more? just add as you come by it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'M BORED!!!

Has the annual Spears/Kings in for exsisting franchise been resolved yet?
    Thought I read somewhere last month that it was still a chance and the Lions would be the ones to go?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    [CENTER][SIZE="9"]Has the annual Spears/Kings in for exsisting franchise been resolved yet?
    Thought I read somewhere last month that it was still a chance and the Lions would be the ones to go?
    It's been quiet but the last I heard was that SARU wanted to bring the Southern Kings in as a 6th franchise for the South African Conference in 2013. Apparently the ARU and NZRU were receptive to the idea without outright supporting it.

The Lions have just gone to a private equity model (the first in Super Rugby if I'm not wrong) so they might be around for a little while. Interested to see how that pans out actually.

Meanwhile, the New Zealand franchises will now directly contract players instead of the NZRU doing it (the NZRU will top up All Black contracts) and, along with this, they've also dropped the regional requirement meaning that they can now sign players from which ever part of the country they want.

vCash
    I was talking to a sud african a couple of days ago and he said the Lions had signed John Smit, The Beast and Frans Steyn. The article above disputes this but the article was dated 17th Dec so who knows what has happened since, I wouldn't like to let facts get in the way of good gossip but it does indicate that what he said to me about the Lions now having a lot of cash to throw around must be true.

I imagine one of the selling points to John Mitchell would have been the promise of an improved playing roster for him to work with.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Things have definitely fallen through on the John Smit front. I don't think Frans Steyn was ever even in the picture.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pretorius finds himself on Gumede’s wish list

Golden Lions Rugby Union equity partner Robert Gumede approaches to former Springbok and Lions flyhalf Andre Pretorius.
    ZEENA ISAACS
    Published: 2011/01/04 08:09:59 AM

WHILE most domestic rugby union bosses took a break over the festive season after a jam-packed season, Golden Lions Rugby Union equity partner Robert Gumede continued his player shopping spree with an approach to former Springbok and Lions flyhalf Andre Pretorius.

Moves to lure Pretorius from the Sharks — where he assumed the role of back-up flyhalf during last year’s Currie Cup — back to Johannesburg followed attempts by the union to recruit Springbok and Bath flyhalf Butch James, who hopes to secure an early release from his contract later this year.

But while Pretorius — who began his professional career as a junior at the Lions in 1998 — boasts vast experience at provincial and international level and offers the added bonus of having worked under new Lions Super Rugby coach John Mitchell in the build-up to last year’s Super 14 at the Western Force, the player’s injury record is a concern.

Pretorius was forced to travel to Germany for homeopathic treatment before the 2007 Rugby World Cup following a stubborn hamstring and buttock injury and missed the entire 2008 season after tearing ligaments in his foot.

He then opted to move to the Western Force at the end of a fair 2009 season, but tore his hamstring in a preseason training session, which ruled him out of the series.

That said, however, the player made it through the Sharks’ successful Currie Cup season last year unscathed and was handed a minute or two off the bench in the final, in which his team smashed Western Province 30-10 to take the trophy.

Golden Lions Rugby Union president Kevin de Klerk was still on leave yesterday and could not comment on moves to sign Pretorius , saying only: "I have not yet been to the office, so I can’t say much yet. Once I have touched base with Robert and the other decision makers, I will be in a better position to comment."

The Sharks’ commercial manager, Rudolf Straeuli, and CEO Brian van Zyl were not available for comment.

However, should Pretorius join the Lions in the next few weeks, he will join an impressive list of new recruits, including Springbok hooker Bandise Maku, talented wing Lionel Mapoe, prop Pat Cilliers, flank Michael Rhodes and nippy scrumhalf Rory Kockott — four of whom come from the Sharks.

There could also be a looming arbitration battle between the Lions and Sharks over the services of Bok prop Tendai Mtawarira, as the player signed a three-year contract extension with the Sharks and is said to have subsequently signed a lucrative contract with the Lions.

Meanwhile, the Blue Bulls Rugby Union could lose one of their top junior coaches, Vodacom Cup and Currie Cup under-21 coach Nico Serfontein, to the big-spending Lions.

Blue Bulls Rugby Union CEO Barend van Graan confirmed yesterday that Serfontein, who guided the Vodacom Cup team to two titles in 2008 and last year, and to the final in 2009, had requested an early release from his contract to take up a position at the Lions which would involve developing new structures to improve development and transformation — a promise Gumede made after being unveiled as one of the Lions’ equity partners last year.

Van Graan admitted that they had yet to decide if they would grant Serfontein’s request.

He was, however, cagey about the details of Serfontein’s contract and refused to reveal when he had asked to be released.

"Nico has asked to be released from his contract, but I don’t have an answer yet," said Van Graan.

"We will probably make a decision later in the week. But I can’t say more than that at this point."

http://www.businessday.co.za/article...aspx?id=130739

vCash
    interesting read... why am i not surprised beast has signed a contract with diff franchise without killing of the current one... his mate Brian Mujati did the same to the Lions by signing with WP...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    why am i not surprised beast has signed a contract with diff franchise without killing of the current one... his mate Brian Mujati did the same to the Lions by signing with WP...
    Yea well what can I say

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Rugby contracting in South Africa seems to be a complete mess. Everyone is always trying to wriggle out of things and usually it involves the Lions somehow.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    So can someone tell me who took the R out of Ugby?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think I'll be doing any season predictions for the SA teams just yet anyway, except maybe:

Team A 1-2
    Team B 4-8
    Team C 8-15
    Team D 13-15
    Team E 14-15

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I don't think I'll be doing any season predictions for the SA teams just yet anyway, except maybe:

Team A 1-2
    Team B 4-8
    Team C 8-15
    Team D 13-15
    Team E 14-15
    doesn't really matter where they end As long as the Force ends Top 4 and have a shot for the finals

vCash
    Some old news but I have not see it here yet

The five 32-man New Zealand squads for the 2011 Super Rugby tournament have been named.

Next year’s competition will implement a new format with more fixtures than ever before. It’s for this reason that 160 Kiwi players have been contracted in expanded squads.

Some believe that Colin Slade may be the best alternative to Dan Carter at Test level, but the versatile player has made a bold move to the Highlanders in the quest for more game time.

The Crusaders have also lost Jared Payne to the Blues but gained the services of promising fullback Israel Dagg. Sonny Bill Williams is also set to make his Super Rugby debut for the Christchurch-based franchise.

Blues – John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Daniel Braid, Luke Braid, Stephen Brett, Ash Dixon, Charlie Faumuina, Kurtis Haiu, Jerome Kaino, Chris Lowrey, Matthew Luamanu, Tevita Mailau, Alby Mathewson, Luke McAlister, Tom McCartney, Keven Mealamu, Brad Mika, Liaki Moli, Toby Morland, Lachie Munro, Filo Paulo, Jared Payne, Rene Ranger, Josevata Rokocoko, Peter Saili, Chris Smylie, Benson Stanley, Sherwin Stowers, Isaia Toeava, Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock.

Chiefs - Ben Afeaki, Colin Bourke, Craig Clark, Mike Delany, Aled de Malmanche, Stephen Donald, Hikawera Elliot, Romana Graham, Richard Kahui, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Tanerau Latimer, Fritz Lee, Brendon Leonard, Lelia Masaga, Ben May, Liam Messam, Taniela Moa, MilsMuliaina, Dan Perrin, Culum Retallick, Isaac Ross, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Toby Smith, Dwayne Sweeney, Sona Taumalolo, Save Tokula, Hayden Triggs, Tana Umaga, Scott Waldrom, Nathan White, Jackson Willison.

Hurricanes – Michael Bent, James Broadhurst, Dane Coles, Laurence Corlett, Aaron Cruden, Chris Eaton, Jason Eaton, Jacob Ellison, Bryn Evans, Hosea Gear, Andrew Hore, Cory Jane, Tyson Keats, Daniel Kirkpatrick, Jack Lam, Alipati Leiua, Faifili Levave, Serge Lilo, Karl Lowe, Charlie Ngatai, Ma’a Nonu, Anthony Perenise, Mark Reddish, Julian Savea, John Schwalger, Conrad Smith, Rodney So’oialo, Andre Taylor, Jeremy Thrush, Neemia Tialata, Victor Vito, Piri Weepu.

Crusaders – Nicholas Barrett, Matt Berquist, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Carter, Wyatt Crockett, Ryan Crotty, Israel Dagg, Andy Ellis, Corey Flynn, Kahn Fotuali’i, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Robbie Fruean, Zac Guildford, David Hall, Willi Heinz, Chris Jack, Quentin MacDonald, Sean Maitland, Tom Marshall, Richie McCaw, Andrew Olorenshaw, Jonathan Poff, Kieran Read, Luke Romano, Brad Thorn, Matt Todd, Joe Wheeler, Adam Whitelock, George Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Sonny Bill Williams.

Highlanders - Halani Aulika, Kurt Baker, Josh Bekhuis, Jimmy Cowan, Nick Crosswell, Elliot Dixon, Tom Donnelly, John Hardie, Jarrad Hoeata, Chris King, Kendrick Lynn, Jamie MacIntosh, Nasi Manu, Brayden Mitchell, Bronson Murray, James Paterson, Siale Piutau, Robbie Robinson, Sean Romans, Jason Rutledge, Matt Saunders, Mahonri Schwalger, Colin Slade, Aaron Smith, Alando Soakai, Lima Sopoaga, David Te Moana, Adam Thomson, Shaun Treeby, Joe Tuineau, Telusa Veainu.

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/11/10/kiwi...-rugby-squads/

vCash
    Also you will see that Tana Umaga has signed with the Chiefs and will feature in the 2011 Super Rugby competition.
    The 37-year-old has been playing for Counties Manukau in New Zealand’s domestic competition, and after months of speculation, has committed to the Chiefs franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    doesn't really matter where they end As long as the Force ends Top 4 and have a shot for the finals
    Theoretically they could finish 6th and make the finals this year...

Actually, it would take an unbelievable fluke (as in it will never happen) but it's technically possible for a team to qualify from 11th place...

Last edited by beige; 04-01-11 at 22:37.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast