Thread: Player Movement Post RWC

Player
    vCash

Player Movement Post RWC

There is a thread over at planet rugby - http://forum.planet-rugby.com/index....12702&start=0& - saying that Sharpie is off to Toulon and Brown, Shepherd and Hodgson are off to Japan.

Anyone know anything?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would be surprised if both Brown and Hodgson left, though it may say something of the strength coming through in the young fellas.
    If Shepherd is injury free and makes the Wallabies, well it may just be timely to get a lucrative superannuation contract before anything else goes wrong...
    As for Sharpie, on balance it would likewise be a smart move, hopefully to get further experience to bring "home" as our next Lineout Coach.

To answer your question though, usually nobody knows nothing

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That guy is full of it.

French rugby is tightening its allowances for overseas players. The Euro and Pound are weak and there is the prospect of the Lions in 2013.

I would be very surprised if a lot of players left. After 2007 we didn't really lose many players other than the ones who 30+ ie Gregan, Larkham, Latham. You have to remember that the South Africans and Kiwis will also be pillaged and the more of them that get taken the fewer of ours that will get big time offers.

From the Force we'd probably see Dunning, Bartholomeusz, Sharpie, Brown and Sheehan going overseas. Sharpie is really the only one we'd struggle to replace. We'd want to keep Brown too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would be very surprised if a lot of players left. After 2007 we didn't really lose many players other than the ones who 30+ ie Gregan, Larkham, Latham. You have to remember that the South Africans and Kiwis will also be pillaged and the more of them that get taken the fewer of ours that will get big time offers.
    I know a few big Southern Hemisphere names like Pierre Spies and Morne Steyn have signed past the World Cup and Richie McCaw has indicated that he'll do the same. Haven't heard what's happening with the Australian players but I wonder if the exodus will be as bad as we think it will be.

vCash
    OMG - getting a little ahead of myself - I'm gonna miss Sharpie!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe its just blind optimism but I am holding out a small hope that Sharpie will stay.

I think if any second rower is packing their bags it will be Mark Chisholm.

vCash
    the PR thread is just rumours, realistically though, probably cant see Shepherd, Brown, and Hodgson getting much in terms of ARU top-ups going on trends in recent years, none are permanent Wallabies, and all have younger players in the same positions who have better Wallaby credentials in the longer term.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd have thought Brown would go back to Queensland if anything. The potential for getting on the Lions tour is a once in a lifetime opportunity and he is still fairly young- he could get a 3 year contract elsewhere after that.

Shepherd signed a 2 year contract this year. That's plenty of time to get fit and get back into form. Before his injuries he was arguably the best winger in Australia. I would play a fit Cam Shepherd over Drew Mitchell or JO'C on the wings.

You wouldn't blame Hodgson for wanting to take the opportunity to go overseas. I'd wager on him staying though. Particularly if Brown goes.

Player
    vCash
    I think that we will see one of Brown or Hodgson go to the Tahs or Rebels. Both are essentially opensides that have been played at 6 or 8.

Phil Waugh will be going very soon, and there is no real openside to back him up, and the Rebels have no-one recognised in this position.

The Reds and Brumbies both have some youngens coming through here.

Champion
    vCash
    I would like to see Sharpie offered a forward coaching role at the EWF, the day after he retires