Thread: Fairbanks sizes up Super return

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fairbanks sizes up Super return

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    December 28, 2010, 11:37 am

Enlarge photo
    Gene Fairbanks is out to prove that size really doesn't matter in his return to Super rugby.

With some sides building a midfield stacked with big bodies the new Western Force signing wants to show that big is not always best

Fairbanks, whose playing statistics are listed by the Force at 83 kg and 174cm, favours inside centre but can cover fly-half, and the Force is not exactly overburdened with No.12's this year.

Last season there was a fair bit of No.12 jumper swapping with first choice Ryan Cross, who has gone home to Sydney and the Waratahs, holding down the position for seven games.

James O'Connor started three times, Josh Tatupu, who was unwanted this season and has since played for Otago and now Castres in France, twice and Mitch Inman once.

Force coach Richard Graham is expected to use James O'Connor in the outside backs and Inman looks like being is a genuine outside centre where he started eight times for the Force last year.

Another option could be new signing Rory Sidey although he is also likely to be preferred as an outside centre.

Former Wallaby veteran Scott Staniforth was earmarked for the No.12 before his forced retirement with a neck injury, which could leave the door open for Fairbanks, 27, who is regarded as one of the most courageous players in Super rugby.

He has a reputation as a ferocious tackler and is an example of the adage that tackling is 20 per cent technique and 80 per cent commitment

"You have a desire to do the right thing for the team and if it means being physical then that's what you do," the 2006 Wallaby tourist said.

"At my size it's a necessity and I enjoy that part of the game."

Graham wants to play an attacking style of rugby and that would suit Fairbanks.

"Being second ball player is the style I enjoy. That's where the game is at the moment," he said.

"We've also got a pretty huge focus on being a great defensive team. I'd like to think I can play my part in that."

Graham said Fairbanks would keep a shape to the game.

"We recruited Gene to play as a 12. He communicates well as a second ball receiver," he said.

"Gene comes to us with a reputation as a solid defender. Given the way the game is played, particularly first phase defence, the 10-12 channel is crucial to stop the opposition going forward."

Fairbanks began his professional career in Queensland but played only one game with the Reds before moving to the ACT Brumbies. He made 38 appearances but a neck injury kept him out of the game for 18 months.

He spent last season with Honda in Japan but harboured a desire to return to Super rugby.

He did not fit into the Rebels plans for big centres, the Brumbies expressed an interest, but he moved west on a two year deal.

"I still have huge aspirations and everyone wants to play for the Wallabies," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-super-return/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    If Shep is fit, I think OConnor will start at 12, with Inman at 13, and Fairbanks on the bench.
    If not, Fairbanks to start at 12, JOC to 15, Bart on the bench.

Sidey will be the other bench back I think.

vCash
    I don't see Bart getting a lot of game time