Thread: Force star Cameron Shepherd hails new coaches

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Force star Cameron Shepherd hails new coaches

WESTERN Force winger Cameron Shepherd says the club's new coaching hierarchy is the best he has ever played under.

The 26-year-old Force star was full of praise for new head coach Richard Graham and his assistants, but in particular Charlie Higgins the club's new strength and conditioning coach.

Shepherd said the Force's pre-season training had been ruthless and tough, but added results were already showing.

"Speaking from my own experience, it's been really refreshing," he said.

"We've had a pretty good line-up of coaching staff over the years, but this is definitely the best that I've seen at the Force.

"Charlie in particular has been outstanding, arguably the best trainer I've ever had. He cares for the boys, offers great feedback, but also expects you to work hard.

"The boys have had some pretty tough sessions under him, but you always know if you put in everything you'll get the reward."

The squad has been pushed extra hard aerobically this pre-season, with players expected to maintain a high heart rate during sessions.

Shepherd said the players were getting through the pain barriers. "The sessions are all about going as hard as you can and make sure your heart rate is as high as it can be," he said. "It's definitely the fittest Force side I've seen to date."

And Shepherd is relishing the club's pre-season, one he is hoping is his first injury-free hitout in nearly three years.

His shocking bad luck stretches back to April 2007 when he damaged his left knee in Round 11 of the Super 14 season forcing him to take a three-month layoff.

He fought his way back into the Wallabies' World Cup squad, but in his first touch of the ball in a Test against France, broke his left fibula in eight places and partly dislocated the ankle. Seven screws and a plate were inserted.

Shepherd made a stunning comeback in Round 3 of the 2009 Super 14 season with three tries against the Brumbies in Canberra, but suffered another setback, tearing the meniscus in his left knee eight games later against the Bulls in Pretoria.

After four operations on the ankle and further surgery on the damaged knee, he is hoping that is all behind him.

"I really feel like I worked hard before this pre-season to get my body in shape," Shepherd said.

"The body is feeling fantastic and, strength-wise, it's the strongest in my legs I've ever been physically I feel like I'm in great shape.

"And mentally it's just refreshing to be apart of the main group. Anyone will tell you if you're part of a rehab program for a long time you feel the isolation."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Good to hear the players are happy, two points but

1 proof's in the pudding, the coaching staff are worth nothing uless results follow
    2 this could easily be pr fluff, rather than actual information.

Cam seems to be making the newspapers a lot though!

C'mon the

vCash

great way to get injured with a tackle like that.. put your bloody neck out cam!

Champion
    vCash
    Thats right Cam praise the coach u may get a run on now.... yeh he's getting some good press mind u he would be the most senior member training at the mo while the others are on vacation i imagine

Player
    vCash
    As long as we can field a near full strength side each week playing intelligent rugby I will be happy.

Lets not have a repeat of this year just gone!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's a shame that the Reds nabbed Mike Harris. He'd not have used up a overseas spot and he'd be good backup at 10 where last year Sam Harris was dreadful. JO'C would make a good enough 10 substitute I suppose. Otherwise Sharpie will have to be well and truly cotton woolled. Also a shame we couldn't convince guys like Daniel Heenan or Hugh McMeniman back from Japan. Sure they are injury liabilities but they'd make a handy just in case option.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Hugh McMenimen is injured right now, tore his hamstring, he was in Brisbane recently..

Western Force approached Michael Harris earlier in the season, but he said no, might have been chasing a NZ super contract at the time.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No surprises there. Any idea how long he is out for? Hamstrings are usually around 8 weeks depending on severity, yeah?

I thought we had expressed interest in Harris again when you guys signed him. Funny really- normally its the people from Dunedin who want to move to Queensland.

vCash
    i seem to remember someone mentioning he tore his hamstring from the bone, not cool

dunno much about that, i do know there are plenty of Aucklanders who are dissapointed he wasnt signed to the blues

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ohh ok. From the bone is a bit of a different story.

The Blues have had 10 troubles for the last few years. Stephen Brett had some absolute shockers last season. They have a very solid looking team and whether McAlister or Brett step up will be the decider between whether they or the Hurricanes make the finals with the Crusaders. Potentially both but I doubt it.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    .....I will be happy!
    ummm excuse me???

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    You idiot