Thread: Setbacks fire Force flyer Shepherd

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Setbacks fire Force flyer Shepherd

Nick Taylor, The West Australian
    December 18, 2010, 5:56 am

Force and Wallaby back-line star Cameron Shepherd faces a season of new challenges in next year's Super rugby competition.

The signing of former Hurricane David Smith and Alfie Mafi from the Brumbies, strengthening the club's outside back stocks, and the form of James O'Connor on the Wallaby wing, has increased the pressure on Shepherd, who is desperate to get back on the World Cup radar of Australia coach Robbie Deans.

But possibly his biggest challenge will be getting through 2011 without injuries after a horror three-year run.

Shepherd is determined to put the nightmare of those injury-ridden seasons behind him.

"I've been through a hell of a lot and I've never been more motivated than I am now," he said.

"I'm feeling great. I was back in Perth a month before everybody else, working really hard on my rehab, to make sure when the pre-season started I was pretty much 100 per cent.

"I'm feeling the best I have in two years.

"I'm hoping I can consolidate the rest of the pre-season and get some really strong gains.

"I feel I've still got a lot to offer at this and Wallaby level and I tell you what, there won't be much holding me back.

"I'm going to put everything into this season."

Shepherd's bad luck started in April 2007 when he damaged his left knee in the Super 14 round-11 clash against the Brumbies.

He was back to play for the Wallabies five months later, but the following July in his first touch of the ball against France in Brisbane broke his left fibula in eight places and had seven screws and a plate inserted.

After a stunning comeback and a hat-trick of tries against the Brumbies in Canberra in 2009 he tore the meniscus in his left knee against the Bulls in Pretoria. Last season he tore a quad muscle in the warm-up to the opening game and missed two months. A hamstring problem restricted his Wallaby chances.

Full-back is his favoured position but Shepherd has shown himself a lethal finisher when on the wing.

"If I had my choice I'd love to play full-back and I haven't made that a secret with anyone but whatever's in the best interests of the team, that's where I'll play."

"I'm feeling the best I have in two years … I feel I've still got a lot to offer at this and Wallaby level."" Force star *Cameron Shepherd *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...lyer-shepherd/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    On my Christmas/New Year wish list is for Cam to have a blinder of a season, he needs, we need it and I don't think it's too much to ask for really. Go you good thing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    On my Christmas/New Year wish list is for Cam to have a blinder of a season,
    I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a Rugby supporter anywhere who wouldn't wish that for Cam. He sure deserves it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm a little bit hung over this morning and I saw the words setbacks and Cam Shepherd and I thought ohh bugger. I hope he has a good season too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Shep is a superstar and would be among my first picks in any or team when fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Shep is a superstar and would be among my first picks in any or team when fit.
    To me he was the man to replace Latham in the wallabies. The form of Beale might make things interesting but Sheps imo is more consistent, safer and a better kicker and defender.
    Gonne be interesting to see where graham uses sheps. my preference is at fullback.

vCash
    Shep would have been a first pick the last 2 years if fit, but Beale has pretty much made that spot his own now, it would take a pretty serious form dip or injury for KB to lose the spot

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah. The big bonus of Cam Shepherd was that he had a monster boot, Latham-style. That really isn't as necessary now with the law changes and the focus on counter attacking. He still is a big unit and a great counter attacker though. If fit and in form I would imagine he would have James O'Connor and Drew Mitchell under pressure. Otherwise a good bench sub.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    yeah i think his role in the current team if he were fit wuold be benchy, cover the back three positions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Shep would have been a first pick the last 2 years if fit, but Beale has pretty much made that spot his own now, it would take a pretty serious form dip or injury for KB to lose the spot
    True, but it depends whether you're looking for safety or excitement. Cam would be an ideal second fullback for games against teams where the game will get more narrow. He's safe under the high ball, taller, better boot and still a great counterattacker, I'd have no problem having him named in the current squad against the likes of England and South Africa, with Beale getting the nod against the AllBlacks and French.

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    yeah i think his role in the current team if he were fit wuold be benchy, cover the back three positions
    Wallabies, not Force, surely?

C'mon the

vCash
    Yes will be tough displacing Beale but like Gigs mentioned there will be situations where Sheps's game will be more suitable depending on the opposition.

The counter attack is interesting. Both Beale and sheps are excellent but different. Sheps from deep will puunch a hole through a defense and even break it where as Beale in full flight from deep switches to playmaker and has been brilliant putting team mates into space for an easy try. Lost count how many tries his team mates have scored of his counterattack.

Player
    vCash
    So what do we see next year?
    JOC to the centres? I think thats the best option, to give some excitement outside of Ripia.

That means Cummins and Smith on either wing with Shep at fullback. And Fairbanks and Mafi / Bart on the bench?