Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SCOTNEY TO GUIDE FORCE 'A' TEAM

vCash

SCOTNEY TO GUIDE FORCE 'A' TEAM

For the first time in Emirates Western Force history the club will have a dedicated ‘A’ team programme and has recruited highly regarded young coach and former Queensland player Andrew Scotney to run it.

Scotney joins the Perth side from Italy where he was an Assistant Coach at Italian Super 10 runners-up Viadana during the 2009/10 season before spending the past six months with Aironi in the Magners League and Heineken Cup.

Prior to heading to Europe Scotney was Head Coach at Easts in Brisbane where he won the Premier title in 2008 and Australian Club Championship in 2009.

“He is an outstanding thinker of the game and in recruiting for this position I wanted someone who could work with the players that aren’t selected in the 22 and continue to help them develop and bring the best out in them,” said Emirates Western Force Head Coach Richard Graham.

“Having coached Easts in Brisbane to a premiership in 2008 he has already demonstrated success at an early stage of his coaching career and challenged himself by moving to Europe and working in the Italian competition.”

The ‘A’ programme has been developed to ensure every member of the Emirates Western Force squad will get match time throughout the season regardless of their involvement in Super Rugby.

The schedule will kick off with two trials during pre-season, coinciding with Emirates Western Force trials, before another five matches throughout the 2011 Super Rugby campaign.

“An ‘A’ team program will allow our entire squad to play a consistent level of high quality rugby and in doing so develop the next generation of Super Rugby players,” said Graham.

“It will assist us in achieving a truly competitive environment which can only benefit the squad as a whole.

“Our General Manager of Rugby, Mitch Hardy and the Board have shown great support for the concept and worked hard to deliver the resources necessary to make this a reality.

“The addition of Andrew as ‘A’ team coach increases our staff to player ratio which enables us to make each player more accountable in their preparation and will in turn give them every opportunity to reach their potential on the field.

“It is the start of an integral part of our programme going forward,” Graham said.

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ programme match schedule

Date

Match
    Pre-season

Saturday, 5 February

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Brumby Runners
    Thursday, 10 February

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Junior Waratahs
    Regular Season

Friday, 18, February

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Perth Gold
    Saturday, 12 March

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v West Harbour
    Friday, 25 March

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Melbourne Rebels ‘A’
    Saturday, 2 April

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Melbourne Rebels ‘A’
    Saturday, 23 April

Emirates Western Force ‘A’ v Perth Gold

Name: Andrew Scotney
    Position:A Team Coach

Coaching Experience
    2007 – 2009

Head Coach Easts Rugby Club in Brisbane
    Won Premier Title in 2008 & Australian Club Championship in 2009
    2009 – 2010

Assistant Coach Viadana Rugby Club in Italy
    Losing finalist in Italian Super 10 comp & participated in Heineken Cup
    July 2010 - Dec 2010

Assistant Coach Aironi Rugby Club in Italy
    Participating in Magners League and Heineken Cup Competitions

Playing Experience
    1995 – 2002

Easts Rugby Club in Brisbane (premierships in 1997 & 1999)
    2001 – 2002

Queensland Reds
    2003 – 2004

World Rugby Club in Japan

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No idea of him as a Coach, but welcome.
    Just brilliant news that we have an A program finally, well done

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm wondering if the "A" games on 12th March, 2nd and 23rd of April will be curtin raisers to the home games against the Blues, Rebels and Bulls?

This would increase the profile of the rest of the squad in their ability to step up to the Super 15 level when the chance is provided to them.

Champion
    vCash
    we have been asking for this type of comp for years... curtin raisers etc roll on 2011

vCash
    Not a second too soon! Hopefully those games will be curtain raisers, I will surely find the time in my busy schedule to watch two games of rugby for the price of one!

I always enjoyed watching the John Welborn cup matches when they were played as curtain raisers.

C'mon the

vCash
    In the absence of a competition that's a pretty decent program.

vCash
    Stretching the truth a bit there, Pat Richards was head coach of Easts in 2008 when they won the premiership, Scotney was a assistant coach.

Rookie
    vCash
    Interesting timing to be honest. If what has been circulating regarding the IRBs intention for the Pacific Rugby Championship to evolve into what effectively could be referred to a a SR reserve grade competition involving ALL franchises and at least 2 of the PIs then the Force finally getting this A squad up and running places them in a good position to compete. Furthermore, it will provide a far greater development pathway for those just below SR. Good stuff.

vCash

Thumbs down

Am I missing something here ??

WTF We now have "A team" but we also have a Perth Gold team which is suppose to be our State side who I thought was the A team. How does all this fit together. RUGBYWA are already struggling for money so bad that they have restructured they have done away with development officers and have done away with a whole lot of support to local rugby and in particular to Junior rugby.

Why could they not use the Perth Gold team as a A team incorporating the Force group that ain't in the starting 22 and also using upcoming local club players By adding this so called A team now even more money will be spend on mercenary players rather than developing local talent.

This in my opinion is a step backwards for local rugby and I cannot see it being much good for the Force in the long run either

Last edited by theforceguy; 18-12-10 at 15:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    Why could they not use the Perth Gold team as a A team incorporating the Force group that ain't in the starting 22 and also using upcoming local club players
    I'm pretty sure that's what the A team will be.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I see what you are saying, Forceguy - but how did you feel about Perth Gold when the APC/ARC was announced?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I thought the point of Perth Gold was that it was amateur. Thus able to compete in the ARS (Australian Rugby Shield). I also thought that the ARU canned the ARS. I think the Force A is a good step, although one that should've been made 3-5 years ago. We won't ever have squad depth or quality succession planning without an academy side that actually gets to play competitive games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I thought the point of Perth Gold was that it was amateur. Thus able to compete in the ARS (Australian Rugby Shield). I also thought that the ARU canned the ARS. I think the Force A is a good step, although one that should've been made 3-5 years ago. We won't ever have squad depth or quality succession planning without an academy side that actually gets to play competitive games.
    exactly... but we are in WA...succession planning... two big words for local administrators. They have to get some facilities here first to attract players.. ie a stadium that the players and members are proud of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    exactly... but we are in WA...succession planning... two big words for local administrators. They have to get some facilities here first to attract players.. ie a stadium that the players and members are proud of
    from a player perspective, i imagine training facilities would be of more importance then the stadium they play at(assuming its not a dirt pitch vs twickenham)

vCash
    Getting back to theforceguy's post, if 'A' games are going to coincide with the 1st XV's games, that means 44 players will be needed for game day. Assuming a Western Force squad of 37 players next year, and that no one's injured, that means 7 Academy players will need to step up each match day - and they'll be exposed to a higher level of competition than they would otherwise.

I'm sure someone will point out a flaw in my logic though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast