Thread: Willie Tonga wants to move west

Apprentice
    vCash

Willie Tonga wants to move west

Willie Tonga says he is keen to switch to rugby union because he wants to play alongside Matt Giteau at the Western Force.

Tonga has been in contact with the Queensland Reds about the possibility of playing the 15-a-side game but he does not want to head north to the struggling Super 14 outfit.

The former Kangaroo centre told The Sun-Herald he had his sights set on playing rugby but only if it was outside the million-dollar Wallabies young gun who signed a contract with the Force two weeks ago.

"Rugby is a very serious option," Tonga said. "I watch the game a lot and see myself playing at outside centre. I think my game would be best suited to that position.

"The chance to play outside Matt Giteau is exactly the kind of lure that would get me across. I would love to play outside him. He's a great player and I love watching him play.

"If I do switch, a huge part of that would be to have a crack at the Wallabies and I think my best chance of playing for the Wallabies would be learning the game outside Matt Giteau. If I switch and find myself playing alongside Matt, that is when I think I would play my best football."

The Force would appear to be Tonga's most likely destination if he left the Bulldogs and rugby league.

The Waratahs have great depth in the outside backs and may have been scared off by the Mark Gasnier saga. And Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock is entrenched in the No. 13 jersey at the two-time Super 12 champions.

The likely Maroons centre for this year's Origin series has ruled out the possibility of playing for the Reds in his home state.

"They seem to be losing players and I'm not keen to play in a team where that is the situation," he said.

"Rugby league has given me a lot and I don't take any of it for granted, but rugby is a very attractive option."

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...545201510.html

If we get him we would have one of the strongest backlines in the comp

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hope you don't mind matty n but this is a replication of an earlier post here: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=2777
    May as well keep the comments in the one place

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    ooops sorry mate didnt realise