Thread: Giteau is Recruiting "Bait"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau is Recruiting "Bait"

More evidence of the ongoing value of the Giteau signing, regardless of if we get (or want) Tonga or not.
    There is an obvious trend by the younger generation seeing the best path for their development and potential Wallabies selection being around Australia's shining light in the Centres.
    With Giteau signed for three (and reportedly five) years we can look forward to the Force being a preffered option for many of the future stars of the game, despite what the Eastern media might have to say about Giteau's move being a backward step for his personal future.

Tonga considers big switch

By James MacSmith (via Rugby Heaven)
    Sunday, May 14, 2006

Willie Tonga says he is keen to switch to rugby union because he wants to play alongside Matt Giteau at the Western Force.

Tonga has been in contact with the Queensland Reds about the possibility of playing the 15-a-side game but he does not want to head north to the struggling Super 14 outfit.

The former Kangaroo centre told The Sun-Herald he had his sights set on playing rugby but only if it was outside the million-dollar Wallabies young gun who signed a contract with the Force two weeks ago.

"Rugby is a very serious option," Tonga said. "I watch the game a lot and see myself playing at outside centre. I think my game would be best suited to that position.

"The chance to play outside Matt Giteau is exactly the kind of lure that would get me across. I would love to play outside him. He's a great player and I love watching him play.

"If I do switch, a huge part of that would be to have a crack at the Wallabies and I think my best chance of playing for the Wallabies would be learning the game outside Matt Giteau. If I switch and find myself playing alongside Matt, that is when I think I would play my best football."

The Force would appear to be Tonga's most likely destination if he left the Bulldogs and rugby league.

The Waratahs have great depth in the outside backs and may have been scared off by the Mark Gasnier saga. And Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock is entrenched in the No. 13 jersey at the two-time Super 12 champions.

The likely Maroons centre for this year's Origin series has ruled out the possibility of playing for the Reds in his home state.

"They seem to be losing players and I'm not keen to play in a team where that is the situation," he said.

"Rugby league has given me a lot and I don't take any of it for granted, but rugby is a very attractive option."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Do we need him? i don't think so...

vCash
    I think that we need him for depth in the squad.

Being a league player, he has the versitility to play anywhere in the backs and do a good job of it.

vCash

Exclamation

You only need to look at this season to see that we lacked talent in the backs once injuries became more commonplace...(This isn`t me having a go at the backs as they did progressively improve and become a better playing unit with some players proving themselves as first class), but when injuries hit and you can`t fill the position with a regular who plays the same position, then you need someone who can slot in to a variety of them(positions).
    For example, Matt rogers can play in several key positions, making himself very valuable to NSW when key players in the backline are injured.
    Matt giteau probably can slot into several positions, and so could drew mitchell if needeed. As you can see, John Mitchell has seen the need to recruit more versatile backs that are capable of adapting to the coaches/ teams needs...
    As the up and coming stars (who play for the force already), are exposed to this versatility of talent, then they too will begin to challenge themselves to become more vesatile, and therefore a better player, which in the long run means a better playing group on the field, with depth on the bench, and within the rest of the squad.
    So, basically what all this means is that they should look at these utility players, and if they want to sign them, then they obviously are looking at the big picture, ie...the future of the Force 8)

vCash
    Can't the Waratah's take him, along with all their other League players? He could be the next Wendel Sailor!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Can't the Waratah's take him, along with all their other League players? He could be the next Wendel Sailor!
    What we going to do with the coke head Sailor
    Waht we going to do with the coke head Sailor...........

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    ....For example, Matt rogers can play in several key positions, making himself very valuable to NSW when key players in the backline are injured......
    In essence Front Row I agree with you.

But, I hate Rugby League players coming across and depriving Rugby Union youth from coming through. The Force have to develop Rugby Union players (there is an academy isn't there?).

The Rogers example - he plays exciting attacking football in any any position, but true too his League upbringing he cannot tackle to save his life or a try.

Leave the League guys alone, we don't need them.

At 12 we have Staniforth , Giteau, McKay, Hilgendorf, Graham, Pelesasa, Sare, James, Daruda.

At 13 we have Josh Graham (exception to the rule - he grew up in the world of Union though) , Junior Pelesasa, James Hilgendorf, Scott Staniforth, Haig Sare and Drew Mitchell.

Fist Five Giteau , McKay, Hilgendorf, James, Daruda
    Wing Mitchell , Sare , Ioane, Shepherd, Staniforth, Graham, De Bartolo, Mailata.
    Fullback Shepherd , Hilgendorf, Mitchell, McKay, De Bartolo, Mailata.

These guys can all play adequately enough for the Force's needs. Look I think these leagies have missed the boat - we have got depth, now we have to nuture it and build on it!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Force backline is loaded with talent now, and many of the backs this year will struggle to get a game next year. Don't need anymore. Better to look at lock and second row for any new recruits for next year. Tonga's just upping his price on a league contract anyway!

from little things, big things grow...

vCash
    Totally agree balls!!!
    Our backs are looking like something that can score tries. I think we still need some mongrel around the rucks and mauls. Someone like a George Smith, with a big workrate and can play a full 80 minutes. Watching a few league games and I havent seen anyone that fits the bill.

Strong like Bull - Smart like Tractor

vCash
    Better keep Willie away from that white powder on the wing, else he'll just end up like Sailor.