Thread: Graham positions himself behind Force, not Wallabies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Graham positions himself behind Force, not Wallabies

Graham positions himself behind Force, not Wallabies

Nick Taylor, The West Australian December 4, 2010, 9:10 am

• Buzz up

Getty Images ©

Western Force coach Richard Graham will use his Australian stars wherever they best fit into his plan for next year's Super rugby season, regardless of what position they play for the Wallabies.
    The former Wallabies assistant coach has made it quite clear his focus is solely on the Force.
    "I'm very supportive of Australian rugby and their cause, but my priority is to make sure the Western Force is successful," Graham said. "I will do what's best for us as an organisation."
    Back line star James O'Connor, who has been in sensational form on a wing for the Wallabies, played full-back, fly-half and on the end of the Force back line last Super rugby season and could fill any of those jumpers next year.
    Bruising forward Ben McCalman, who ousted teammate Richard Brown from the Wallaby No.8 spot on the northern hemisphere tour, spent time in the Force's second row last season.
    Graham will have to juggle a back row that also includes ARU Player of the Year and IRB Player of the Year nominee David Pocock and Force Player of the Year Matt Hodgson.
    Graham was on the phone to Wallabies coach Robbie Deans within hours of him arriving back in Australia. He said Deans stressed he would not try to influence his decision making.
    "He (Deans) made it very clear that it will be my decision," Graham said.
    "At the end of the day it's really important we understand the team comes first and I will do what's best for our team.
    "That's a clear point I want to make. I will do what's best for the team.
    "Even if changing one player's position is not the best thing for the team, then we won't do it."
    Graham has kept his plans for O'Connor close to his chest since Force training started a month ago.
    He said he could use him as a back-up playmaker, a position the Force have not filled for next year, but at the same time said: "You'd have to say he's doing something right on the wing."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...not-wallabies/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Fair enough, it would be silly for the Force to play O'Connor on the wing so far from the action.. Be interesting to see how he goes at inside centre, or maybe a more roaming role at fullback.. Depends on the fitness of cam shepherd

Champion
    vCash
    I think he will be at 12 this year outside The BRO amd inside Inman to help put this big unit into more gaps for 2011

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Who can say where the coach after Deans (McKenzie for my money) will want to play O'Connor? Besides, not having played on the wing didn't hurt his form this year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Who can say where the coach after Deans (McKenzie for my money) will want to play O'Connor? Besides, not having played on the wing didn't hurt his form this year.
    Actually, the way he plays wing time at inside centre wouldn't hurt anyway, he's hardly the bounce to the sideline and burn them with speed Habana-type winger is he?

Actually, Habana's not that type of winger anymore is he?

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Haha yeah. Habana's more the bounce to the sideline and then knock the ball on kind of winger.

We have some very good outside backs but very few decent inside centre options. Besides if we are using O'Connor as backup for Ripia then he'll need a bit of time close to the ball and organizing the backline. Did anyone else notice that they've put Kyle Godwin up in the player profiles for the academy?

Other academy listings are Cruze Ah-Nau, Siliva Siliva, Ted Postal. Am wondering if they are planning to round it out to 5.

We have a lot of backrowers/potential backrowers in the squad (Pocock, Hodgson, Brown, McCalman, Jenkins, Postal, Wykes, Metuisela, and people have been talking about Ryan Tyrrell returning as a backrower). Now I know Wykes and McCalman are probably going to be looked at as locks but thats still potentially 7. I wonder if there is some succession planning going on for a specific purpose? I mean Pocock is locked in to 2012 but everyone else is off contract. I wonder if someone has already said they are planning to go?

Last edited by James; 05-12-10 at 20:34.

vCash
    I dunno about that, but with 4 wallaby back rowers in the squad you'd have to think at least one of them will look to move on at the end of contract, even if it's just for game time. We've got three opensides (in reality) who've had Wallaby minutes this year! Personally, I reckon it'll be between hodgeo and browny who goes, and the sooner we decide who we want as a long term option and give them the regular spot, the better for all concerned.

C'mon the

vCash
    it wasnt that long ago when we were touting the best back line personell in Aus
    Gits, Mitchell, Sheperd, Staniforth, Digby

now the tables are turning in Favor of the best pack. Interesting dynamics... i think the Force are starting to mature and its great to see!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I had the feeling it would be Brown. At the 2009 TWF Awards night I am pretty sure I heard Hodgson say that he planned on staying a long time. Plans may change but he seemed genuinely happy. The Reds would probably be pretty keen on Brown as a 7.

It will be really interesting to see the player movement after next year's World Cup. It should really shake up the competition. I hope the Force are smart enough to get onto poaching asap rather than leaving it late like they have done the last year or two.