Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I won't roll over for Palu: McCalman

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I won't roll over for Palu: McCalman

I won't roll over for Palu: McCalman

BEN McCalman will seek to play number eight for the Western Force in next year's expanded Super rugby series.

He wants to enhance his chances of retaining the position with the Wallabies.
    In the absence of the injured Wycliff Palu, McCalman displaced his Force team-mate Richard Brown from the Wallabies' starting line-up.
    The abrasive McCalman played strongly at number eight, forming a powerful back-row combination with captain and blindside flanker Rocky Elsom and openside flanker David Pocock. But there are indications that McCalman will pack down in the second row for the Force, which is likely to retain its established back-row of Pocock, Brown and Matt Hodgson.
    "I certainly won't be rolling over and giving it to him (Palu)," McCalman said of the gold number eight jersey.

"There's a lot of depth in the backrow at the moment in Australian rugby. We help each other out and I'm looking forward to next year."
    Asked whether he was concerned that playing in the second row for the Force could adversely affect his chances of playing number eight for Australia, McCalman said: "That's a long way off yet.
    "We've got a full pre-season ahead before that happens. I'd love to stay in the backrow. I'll certainly be competing for that spot."
    Many observers would probably assume that the dynamic Palu would automatically reclaim the Test number eight jersey.
    But coach Robbie Deans may consider a horses for courses approach at number eight.
    For example, Palu's damaging ball-running and big hitting in defence is well suited to combating the physical Springbok forwards.
    But McCalman is more industrious at the breakdown, which helps the Wallabies to compete against the All Blacks.
    While Pocock is more than a match for All Blacks captain and openside flanker Richie McCaw, the Kiwis have the benefit of a number eight in Kieran Read who is very constructive at the breakdown.
    Palu and McCalman will both face competition from Queensland backrower Scott Higginbotham, who made his belated Test debut off the bench in the record-breaking win against France on Sunday.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225963536435

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    For example, Palu's damaging ball-running and big hitting in defence is well suited to combating the physical Springbok forwards.
    What's with Bret Harris's indefatigable man love for Cliff Palu. I don't think I've seen Palu play a good game against the Springboks, the only teams he displays any 'damaging ball running' or 'big hitting in defence' are the ones which live outside the top ten on the IRB ramkings.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Many observers would probably assume that the dynamic Palu would automatically reclaim the Test number eight jersey."

Apparently many observers have their head up their arse.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Palu is suited to playing against the Northies. He doesn't have the workrate to handle the Boks or the Blacks. I was never really a Palu fan but he had great games against England and Ireland last year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veteran
    vCash
    is there any acutal news of McCalman going to the second row? or are the journo's just reading TWF?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No actual quotes. But McCalman did finish the season out at 4. Wykes and Hockings really need to knock things up a notch. Bam.

Veteran
    vCash
    time for some spice weezle!

Player
    vCash
    McCalman is too short for lock at the top level. He needs about 5cm more to be considered for there. I like him at 8.

And he is not yet in the same class as Palu, should Palu be in top form. But I like McCalman and I think he has the potential to do well at test level.

Palu provides the go forward that the Wallabies are missing. Its really Sharpe and Pocock providing that at the moment. And I dont want Pocock to be doing that, he needs to be there to secure / strip the ball, not at the bottom of the ruck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    McCalman is too short for lock at the top level. He needs about 5cm more to be considered for there. I like him at 8.

And he is not yet in the same class as Palu, should Palu be in top form. But I like McCalman and I think he has the potential to do well at test level.

Palu provides the go forward that the Wallabies are missing. Its really Sharpe and Pocock providing that at the moment. And I dont want Pocock to be doing that, he needs to be there to secure / strip the ball, not at the bottom of the ruck.
    Palu in top form is the most damaging ball runner in world rugby, but we rarely see that form and only against minnows

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Palu in top form is the most damaging ball runner in world rugby, but we rarely see that form and only against minnows
    he can run the ball up against anyone, BUT HE ALWAYS DROPS IT! god it shits me!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Palu probably won't make the cup. He is bound to do another knee carrying 120kgs around with him. But if he does he will be useful. We play Ireland and probably Wales + France/England. Those will be slower games where his average workrate won't hinder us as much. Plus he would be an asset in defence because they will do a lot of driving with their forwards. To his credit he was actually in very good form in last years end of season tour.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think people get a little pre-occupied with height for Locks since lifting has come in.
    The height of a jumper now is the combined height of both the player plus his lifters.
    Sure it would be great to have two tall options, but most lineouts now revolve around one safe option (being the senior Lock, ie Sharpie at Force and Wallabies) and then multiple other options, with players such as Elsom, George Smith, Brownie, Pusey and Hodo all coming to mind as such options for their various teams. You then have your Pocock's and Waugh's for the back or to take over the Scrumhalf and the bonehead at the front to bugger up the short quick option.
    Basically, if you have a couple of decent lifters, you can chuck any monkey in the air and come down with the banana's.
    Probably more important than the height of the individual is the average height of the pair for setting a stable second row at scrum time.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    You gotta love the title of this thread!

Seems to imply Ben's sexual tendancies point in the opposite direction to Wycliffs!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Did anyone notice that Poey had leg bandages on in the last test as if he was a jumping choice?

vCash
    Well, he might need three lifters to get Him up there, but once he's there no bastard would mess with him

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast