Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: From top man to bench man

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

From top man to bench man

From top man to bench man

NICK TAYLOR and DAVID BENIUK, The West Australian November 27, 2010, 9:28 am
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-to-bench-man/

It's less than 18 months since Wallaby Matt Giteau was being touted as the new Dan Carter.

Against France this weekend he will sit among the reserves for a second straight Test match.

Last weekend, against Italy, he didn't make it on to the field.

The journey from main man to bench man has been as steady as it has been curious, a slide in form that set in after he left the Western Force for the Brumbies last year.

Giteau has never been far from the media gaze and he was right in it when the Firepower third-party deal went wrong at the Force. He was reportedly left $1 million out of pocket when the fuel additive company scam was exposed.

But it was not money that finally forced his hand.

Two big third-party offers were put on the table, but Giteau had lost confidence in the club hierarchy.

He would have preferred to stay in WA. He has kept his home in Cottesloe and returns whenever possible. He was training in the Force gym, in a Force shirt, at Perry Lakes before the Wallabies left for the spring tour.

Since his move to the Brumbies Giteau has failed to capture the form that once earned him the nickname Kid Dynamite.

And, as he prepares for the final match of the spring tour, he might be reminded of the words of Marc Lievremont in June 2009.

"For me, he (Giteau) is the best playmaker in the world," the France coach said. "He has perfected the position. He is really at the summit of the world, one would say, as a No.10."

But it did not take long after Lievremont's comments for a downward spiral to begin.

In late 2009, Giteau missed out on the Wallabies' vice-captaincy to Berrick Barnes, who has replaced him in the current starting line-up.

There had already been rumours about a failing relationship with coach Robbie Deans and, as Australia struggled to just one win to finish last in the 2009 Tri-Nations series, calls for Barnes to replace Giteau at No.10 grew louder.............

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    he's going through a slump...
    he'll get it back

vCash
    he has never been that good He would have hardly played Currie Cup if he was South African

vCash
    he was very good a few years ago, he was one of the best inside centres in the world.. What made him good was his 'explosiveness' and ability to weave through defensive lines. He just hasnt been doing that of late, maybe its conflicting styles with Quade Cooper, or maybe its just that his in a slump. At the end of the day, i think its a sign of depth that we are actually able to bench Matt Giteau.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think as with all new and exciting players, after a year or two the defence gets the chance to view the footage and work them out.
    Generally that is why you see SA and NZ work our players out quicker than the NH, as they get more chances to see them and see the "tricks".
    Nothing has the longevity of an honest hard working player.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    he was very good a few years ago, he was one of the best inside centres in the world.. What made him good was his 'explosiveness' and ability to weave through defensive lines. He just hasnt been doing that of late, maybe its conflicting styles with Quade Cooper, or maybe its just that his in a slump. At the end of the day, i think its a sign of depth that we are actually able to bench Matt Giteau.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think as with all new and exciting players, after a year or two the defence gets the chance to view the footage and work them out.
    Generally that is why you see SA and NZ work our players out quicker than the NH, as they get more chances to see them and see the "tricks".
    Nothing has the longevity of an honest hard working player.
    I'm not so sure either of you are right there. My memories of the Matt Giteau I actually liked were of a brash, quick youngster with amazing feet who'd run straight lines at impossible gaps and magically appear on the other side. The Matt Giteau of today is a stodgy, petulant old drama queen who hasn't run a straight line for years.

I think he's spent far too much time believing his own press and feels entitled, that's why I'm leading the charge to drop him from the squad entirely, because I'd like to see him regain the form of his youth.

Did anybody else notice the suggestion that he's had a falling out with the coach? I wonder how far away the player revolt is?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That (Coach rift) was refering to the '09 Wallaby season.
    I think your observation and what I am saying go together Gigs as, the more you get caught at your trump card the more you get sour.
    A bit like some working dogs, as they get older the less they run and the more they bark. So you either give them a kick up the arse, leave them on the ute or put a bulle...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Oh. I thought you were saying he was just the same, the defences had just figured him out. I reckon he's playing a different, more limp, game now.

That could possibly be because the defences shut down his original game though

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Your last line is what I'm saying

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    This move will be good for the Wallabies. We will either have the opportunity to move on if thats whats necessary or Giteau will come back reenergized and reinvigorated and ready to carve up in 2011.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yes well there is understandable simmering negative sentiment towards Giteau in the West

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Same as the negative sentiment from the East for Sharpe?

vCash
    What negativity, Ive always said Sharpe is crap at the scrum because of his shoulder problems, but he more then earns his spot in the team because he is the best line out lock in the country and has a good work rate around the field

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That would be that negativity of the myth of Sharpe not pushing.

I'm off to bed

vCash
    Sharpe was fantastic again. Some of his hits on a charging Chabal was worth the price of admission or Foxtel subscription. Sharpe was magnificent in the lineout.

Our problems at scrum time start up front.

Giteau is light on his feet. Somewhere in the last few years he started running sideways and "fading". This farks the whole backline. Watching sook/AAC/KB running straight is a joy. It creates options.

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast