Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Force misses out as ARU forms secret comp

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force misses out as ARU forms secret comp

The Western Force was kept in the dark and has been left out of a new competition that will feature three Australian Super clubs and three Pacific Nation teams.

The move has angered Force management who are pushing for a national competition for their fringe and rookie players.

Games between Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies sides and teams from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga will be played next season.

But Geoff Stooke, chairman of Force umbrella body RugbyWA, said they were not told about the competition until it was raised at a Super Rugby Commission meeting.

“The make up of the competition was decided without consultation. There was never any dialogue. We were completely in the dark,” he said.

“It was basically: ‘that’s the way it is boys. That’s the make up.’

“There cannot be a master-servant relationship between the ARU and Super teams. We have to work together for the good of Australian rugby.”

He said the Force would have been happy to relocate a team to Sydney.

An ARU spokesman confirmed the competition structure had gone before the Super Rugby Commission earlier this year. He said the Force and Melbourne Rebels could be included at a later date.

A Rebels spokesman said he knew nothing about the competition.

The ARC third tier competition was scrapped after one season in 2007 after making a big loss and Stooke acknowledged the game is under financial pressure.

But ARU figures show a huge chasm in their funding of states.

NSW gets $3,226,000 and Queensland $2,047,000 for community and premier rugby while Rugby WA receives just $200,000 for community rugby. Victoria receives $475,000 and even South Australia and the Northern Territory receive more than WA with $225,000 each.

“Clearly the environment within Australian rugby is Sydney-centric,” Stooke said.
    “The amounts of money for NSW and Queensland would be better used on a genuine third tier competition.

“There is a financial model for the third tier that can work. With five Super teams there is an opportunity for a six team competition with two teams from NSW.”

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...s-secret-comp/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    What's the bets we find out that the ARU is helping fund the Pacific Nations teams for the competition.

Why oh why, start up two more Aussie teams and not help develop them!? What a bunch of self serving arse holes!!!!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Force misses out as ARU forms secret comp

NSW gets $3,226,000 and Queensland $2,047,000 for community and premier rugby while Rugby WA receives just $200,000 for community rugby. Victoria receives $475,000 and even South Australia and the Northern Territory receive more than WA with $225,000 each.
    WTF???

vCash
    >_<

I read the article in the paper and was like "ye- AWWWWW"

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It is an unbelievable load of bullshit. I already knew that WA was massively underfunded by the ARU but this competition basically has the power to destroy the Force and even the Rebels, before they even start.

It's hard to develop our own players because the ARU doesn't give a tenth of what they give Queensland, it's hard to convince players to come over here for money or game time and now it will be even harder because being with the Reds or the Tahs means you get a whole extra competition to play in meaning more money and more game time. What a load of crap.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I wonder if there is any grounds for legal action?

I have no idea about the franchise set up but it seems that the ARU are being extremely discriminatory! On a very basic level they are putting our business at risk by their prejudicial business decisions.

Last edited by The EnForcer; 20-11-10 at 14:41.
    Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    you...you....you BASTARDS ARU!!!

vCash
    ease up lads, if the plan is indeed to create a third tier then the smart option is to smart small and work up. I think its a little premature to go jumping up and down without first knowing the finer details, depending on what avenue the ARU have gone down this tournament may qualify for IRB funding as part of the IRB pacific nations development program.

vCash
    I cannot believe how we have been stabbed in the back, JON needs to go ASAP, as head of ARU and what ever touristy or sort body he heads in NSW now shows that he is not impartial and is making sure his NSW is looked after and stuff the rest, at least we have a bit of a track record, poor Rebels have nothing yet. JON what a great way to support your two newest franschises.

Geoff if this what they want let them develop the players and lets poach the best at the top of their game and stuff them, when they moan how the build and get the players up to speed, if this what they want lets do it.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    ease up lads, if the plan is indeed to create a third tier then the smart option is to smart small and work up. I think its a little premature to go jumping up and down without first knowing the finer details, depending on what avenue the ARU have gone down this tournament may qualify for IRB funding as part of the IRB pacific nations development program.
    TOCC, if the statements in the piece are correct there is definately a justification for WA and Victorian rugby fans to feel agreived. Yes there may be "finer details" but, as far as we know, this deal was done with no consultation with certain major stake holders in Australian Rugby Union. In addition, you would have to admit there is one hell of an imbalance in the the financial support given to the state unions. I suppose the "finer details" will prove this to be all fine and dandy too. Your little ditty is completely based on what you think is happening, where as we are pissed off at some report based on what we believe to be fact. So, no I'm not going to ease up.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    as far as we know, this deal was done with no consultation with certain major stake holders in Australian Rugby Union.
    That's probably the main issue for me. Oh and that it actually looks like a great competition if WE were involved.

vCash
    QLD would be jumping up and down if they were left out
    It's a farking disgrace
    If our board had no idea about it, they should be sacked for sleeping on the job. Only a pack of bozo's wouldn't have got wind of something like this that involves extensive negotiation between different countries and unions and sponsors.
    I think they pretended not to know about it instead of growing some balls

Controversy corner

vCash
    meh, the article alludes to very little detail, for all we know the fijian nations in liason with the irb could be the driving force behind the proposal.

Just saying, its a little bit premature to get all upset over something we know very little about..

Last edited by TOCC; 20-11-10 at 17:53.

vCash
    then i wont bother at all....
    Stick to that buddy and we'll all be happy.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Stick to that buddy and we'll all be happy.
    i edited my post as you were replying... i figured it was a little bit to harsh for the senstivity evident on here

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast