Thread: MAFI MAKES HIS MARK

vCash

MAFI MAKES HIS MARK

A searching week of physical testing has had the desired result for versatile back Alfie Mafi who has been confirmed as the Emirates Western Force’s latest recruit.
    Mafi, who had previous stints with the Waratahs and Brumbies, has battled bad luck on the injury front in his four seasons of Super Rugby but completed everything asked of him by the Emirates Western Force medical and conditioning teams and has been rewarded with a place in the 2011 squad.

“What we see in Alfie is a player with enormous potential and someone with the desire and focus to realise that talent,” Emirates Western Force Head Coach Richard Graham said.

“Alfie has worked hard over the last few weeks and arrived for the start of our ‘official’ pre-season training in wonderful condition. He gave himself every opportunity to get through the testing and it’s that level of commitment that is needed to succeed at the top level.

“We’re excited to have him as part of the programme, I think he is a really good kid and has a lot of upside for us.”

Mafi was picked up by the Waratahs for the 2007 season but found opportunities limited with Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri ahead in the pecking order. He did however claim representative honours later that year with the Australia Sevens before breaking through the following season to play nine matches with the Tahs.

Mafi then headed to the nation’s capital, and while injury limited his involvement on a consistent basis, he added another six games in two seasons, including a maiden try against the Cheetahs in round nine this year.

An invitation to head to WA and work under the new coaching structure at the Emirates Western Force was an opportunity the 22 year was keen to explore and is determined to make the move west a winner.

“It’s something I think I needed to do, it’s a challenge I was really keen to take on and to make the most of. I’ve always enjoyed the way the rugby has been played at the Emirates Western Force and I’m really looking forward to the season,” Mafi said.

“I’ve had a few injuries that have set me back, including two broken ankles and fractured fibula, and after that you tend to be playing catch-up footy. Having a good pre-season is top of my list and then hopefully press for game time when the season comes around.”

While Mafi has occupied a wing for the majority of his Super Rugby career he has the versatility, and experience garnered during his formative years, to add more strings to his bow, with Force coaching staff eyeing a move to the centres on the back of the youngsters’ capacity to break opposition lines.

“He is a lively type and has an ability to beat defenders just through his sheer dynamism and strength. He is rarely tackled by the first defender and will add depth to our backs,” Graham said.

“He knows he still has a number of aspects to work on and we’ll work closely with Alfie to help him round out his game and achieve his potential.”

Player Profile
    Name: Alfie Mafi (*please note that Alfie is spelt with an ‘e’ on the end)
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 95kg
    Date of Birth: 8/6/1988
    Super 12/14 Points: 5 (1t)
    Super 12/14 Caps: 16 (9 Waratahs, 7 Brumbies)
    Club: Sydney University
    Honours: Australian U19’s, Australian Sevens 2007

RugbyWA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    RugbyWA lists Mafi as 95kgs- I'm pretty sure elsewhere he's been listed as 86kg. Thats a fairly big difference for a back. 86 seems light for an inside centre but 95 would be pretty healthy.

Also speaking of Mafis, Steve Mafi (Sam Wykes cousin I think) was on the bench for Leicester against Australia. The Force were looking at him as a second rower a couple of years back. I wonder if he'd consider coming over to the Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.