Thread: BLAKE APPOINTED TO FORCE COACHING TEAM

vCash

BLAKE APPOINTED TO FORCE COACHING TEAM

Emirates Western Force Head Coach Richard Graham has made the first of several key coaching acquisitions ahead of next season with the appointment of former league star Phil Blake as Defence/Skills Coach.

Graham identified Blake as a potential candidate for the position soon after being appointed to the Head Coaching role at the Emirates Western Force in September. It was during the club’s negotiations with Blake that the Wallabies also saw the benefits of having the Manly mentor as part of their set-up, confirming his reputation as a highly credentialed coach.

“It was apparent in talking with Phil that he is very passionate about the defensive aspect of the game and driven to see his teams do well. We’re delighted to have him, think he’ll do a very good job for us and contribute significantly to the program,” Graham said.

“He is a quality guy, uncomplicated in his approach to the game and having been involved in professional sport for over 20 years will bring a no nonsense approach.”

Blake will travel with the Australian team during their Spring Tour before arriving in Perth in early December as the Force players step up their on-field pre-season training.

“His opportunities now with the Wallabies will give him a chance to view the game at the highest level and also the six Emirates Western Force Wallabies currently touring,” said Graham.

“In terms of our programme, we have designed it so the month of November is purely a strength and conditioning block. Phil will have returned from Wallaby duties when our rugby programme begins in December with the focus primarily defence which will see him heavily involved.”

Following a wonderful 15 year playing career Blake turned his attention to coaching and crossed codes to mould the Marlins into a NSW 1st Grade contender.

“I’m very excited about the chance to come to Perth. Having been over to see the club set-up and to chat with Richard I’m really looking forward to teaming-up together and providing an environment for the players to perform at their best,” Blake said.

“It really has been great talking to Richard about his plans, he has strong beliefs and high ambitions and I think of myself as a pretty ambitious person as well.

“I know the challenges ahead won’t be easy, it’s a tough competition, but I think Richard has recruited quality playing personnel and there aren’t any reasons why we can’t have successful seasons moving forward, starting from next year.

“I always knew that it was going to take some time to get to opportunities like this and after five years spent in rugby coaching I think the timing is right to take it to the next level,” Blake said.

A player with sublime skill and an ability to penetrate defences, Blake scored more than 550 points in his 260 plus games and has used that knowledge to develop defensive strategies that has seen Manly boast the best defensive record in the Sydney comp.

“I want to bring a strong constitution to that part of the game (defence) and for everyone to understand that if we’re not attacking and scoring tries then we’re defending and stopping them. There needs to be that resolve that we’re not giving up five points under any circumstances,” Blake said.

“It starts and finishes defensively, there is a lot of attitude in regard to it, its hard work and that is where pride comes into it. I feel as though that is probably one of my strong points.”

Along with defence, the other key component of Blake’s role at the club will be to design a skills programme that maximises players’ ability to excel in this area.

“I’ll be working very closely with Richard to make sure all the guy’s skills sets are up to scratch and everyone in the particular position ticks all the boxes.”

The Emirates Western Force start their pre-season programme on 1 November and are in the process of finalising negotiations for a new Forwards Coach to join the club’s coaching structure.

Emirates Western Force memberships are now available. Super Rugby in 2011 is set to deliver more teams, more rugby and better value than ever before. Adult Memberships start from just $170 for eight blockbuster home games – click here for all the details and to Feel the Force!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    and its confirmed!! welcome Dr Phil! let hope you get into these guys heads and work some magic!

vCash
    Rodney shot into my head when I read that!

Looks like a terrific move though, we should be undefeated next year!