McCalman set to take on Europe's 'big men'

Adrian Warren, AAP October 24, 2010, 11:42 am

• Buzz up!

Australia's newest country rugby product Ben McCalman is looking forward to the challenge of finally locking horns with some of the best packs the northern hemisphere has to offer.
The newest member of the Wallabies' starting eight, 22-year-old Force backrower McCalman has made a big early impression.
His four Test appearances to date have all been against Australia's two major southern hemisphere rivals, South Africa and New Zealand.
After coming off the bench for his first two caps, McCalman broke into the starting side against the Springboks in Bloemfontein and retained his place against the All Blacks in Sydney.
His industrious performance against New Zealand highlighted by a break from a scrum which set up a try to winger James O'Connor, highlighted his value to the side.
McCalman is part of a new generation of raw-boned young country forwards with fellow squad members Pat McCutcheon and Rob Simmons also falling into that category.
Thus far, McCalman's tussles with northern hemisphere forwards have been limited to the under-19 and under-20 levels.
The hard-running big-tackling No.8 will potentially get the chance to test himself against the strong men of England, Wales, France and Italy.
The Wallabies pack was sorely tested by England in their two-match home series back in June, where their scrum in particular was worked over by a much more experienced eight.
"The English side play a tighter game of rugby and really focus on their scrums and their set piece," McCalman said.
"Big men trying to take us up front, I'm looking forward to the challenge."
McCalman just missed out on making last year's spring tour.
He was included in the original training camp for the tour, but didn't make the final cut.
"(It gave me) a lot of motivation," McCalman said.
"I was probably surprised to be in the initial squad this time last year.
"After missing out there and moving over to the Force, I tried hard over there and was lucky enough to play Super 14."
McCalman wanted to improve his lineout work and viewed the tour as a good opportunity to cement his starting position.
He replaced Force team-mate Richard Brown at No.8, a position dominated in recent times by Wycliff Palu, who missed the entire international campaign through injury.
"I'd love to keep my spot and continue to build that combination with the other backrowers," McCalman said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ropes-big-men/