Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force to sign Hurricanes flyer

vCash
    I ve got that optimistic feeling again, same as every pre season- we are looking awesome! Solid front row- 2 excellent hookers, sharpie +? mccalman, pocock, hodgo,brown, Sheehan/ stannard,ripia/standard,o Connor ,Inman, smith , stanners/cummins,sheps. Some great backrowers plus dangerous quick runners in backs- no comparison to last year when at times it felt like we were acting as some kind of rest home for the almost retired.
    Best team we ve had on paper at least. Please no injuries if that is possible.second string might not be so hot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Smith is quick thats all..... under the high ball he very poor thats way his career has not gone forward. He will be a bench player at the outset.... should of stayed in Wellington I feel
    You can teach a player how to catch a high ball - you can't teach speed.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by terrycobner View Post
    I ve got that optimistic feeling again, same as every pre season- we are looking awesome! Solid front row- 2 excellent hookers, sharpie +? mccalman, pocock, hodgo,brown, Sheehan/ stannard,ripia/standard,o Connor ,Inman, smith , stanners/cummins,sheps. Some great backrowers plus dangerous quick runners in backs- no comparison to last year when at times it felt like we were acting as some kind of rest home for the almost retired.
    Best team we ve had on paper at least. Please no injuries if that is possible.second string might not be so hot.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Agree that on paper its an exciting first XV. I still think we're weak at 4, unless one of Brownie or McCalman plays there (which allows all our 4 Wallaby back-rowers to get a game).

However, with a longer season, I think the whole squad will be tested, and we might come up short due to lack of cover, particularly if Deans asks Graham to rest players (eg, say they've got a slight knock and rest them for a week or two).

I reckon we've got a first XV to challenge for the finals (but then my natural pessimism kicks in reckons we'll just miss out!)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    David Smith has scored tries against the Force in our last 2 games against the Canes. He is a good winger and much better than Sosene Anesi who the Tahs have stuck with.

Our backline would look great as:

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Willie Ripia
    11. Cam Shepherd
    12. Scott Staniforth
    13. Nick Cummins (sorry Mitch but I'd love to see Nick at 13)
    14. David Smith
    15. James O'Connor

20. James Stannard
    21. Mitch Inman
    22. Alfi Mafi

Plus you have a couple of unknown quantities and some old heads to come in when injury strikes.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    re-reading that article and it doesnt say Smith is a done deal... lets not get ahead of ourselves...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    You can teach a player how to catch a high ball - you can't teach speed.
    DIGBY IOANE!

He couldn't catch a pass when he started at the Force, I'm not saying he's the best catch in Super Rugby ATM, but he's not a hole in the backline, and he doesn't get kicked to as much as (say) an O'Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    re-reading that article and it doesnt say Smith is a done deal... lets not get ahead of ourselves...
    That's true, but Bret Harris is a complete Force bashing arsehole who wouldn't write a positive article like that if he had half an excuse. He's also generally pretty accurate with the contracting romour mill. He doesn't tend to write words like 'set to sign' without some genuine reason. I'd reckon Smith and the Force have agreed to terms and are waiting for the ARU to sign off, I'm not sure whether that's a done deal, Lee Grant has said that his 7s appearance locks him out of development player status. I'm not aware of the IRB rulings on that, AFAIK it will hinge on his eligibility to play for the Wallabies after completing his residency period.

C'mon the

vCash
    Have been watching the Taranaki games to see Ripia run around. You cant help notice Smith when he gets his hands on the ball, very powerful runner. He would be a very good signing. The fact he plays with Ripia and is used to his style of running the backline is an advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Have been watching the Taranaki games to see Ripia run around. You cant help notice Smith when he gets his hands on the ball, very powerful runner. He would be a very good signing. The fact he plays with Ripia and is used to his style of running the backline is an advantage.
    didnt think of that at all, definitely another plus there.. by the way when is Ripia due over this end? i thought pre-season training started on Nov 1? not much of a break for him there....

vCash
    Pretty sure he is allowed to play out the npc first
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    According to the West this morning David Smith is not a definite Force still weighing up option but Blake looks a done deal

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    As alluded to by Tazzmania

"The Force are still some way from making a decision on Hurricanes winger David Smith. If they decide to make a move for the powerful runner it would mean using their marquee signing option because, although Smith, 25, has not been capped by the All Blacks, he has played for the New Zealand sevens side"

If we believe the Worst, I guess this clears up the eligibility debate. Not so keen on using him for a Marquee spot, but if theres nothing else in the wind, we'd might as well use it rather then not.

vCash
    certainly better options than smith as a marquee player but not many available.. if any at this point. The Force might want to weigh up if he is worth it given that their Marquee signing last year was a lemon (strictly speaking)..

I think theyll go for it - more likely to be waiting in Smith to make the decision and not the other way around.

Player
    vCash
    There are plenty of better options out there - hell, if we could sign Dan Carter or Richie McCaw then of course there are better options. But there are not better options willing to give up their shot at the world cup next year to come and play super rugby in WA.

I think David Smith would be a great acquisition.

I have really wondered why none of the Australian teams have picked up any of the Argenitnians playing over in their domestic league, as the development player. The only one I can think of that has come over was Pat Noriega and that was years ago. There must be any number of quality players running around over there looking for a way to go pro. And with the chances of the Argies coming into the 3N in 2012 surely there are any number of players looking for a way to make the national team.

vCash
    We don't need Richie, we've got Pocock!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    There are plenty of better options out there - hell, if we could sign Dan Carter or Richie McCaw then of course there are better options. But there are not better options willing to give up their shot at the world cup next year to come and play super rugby in WA.

I think David Smith would be a great acquisition.

I have really wondered why none of the Australian teams have picked up any of the Argenitnians playing over in their domestic league, as the development player. The only one I can think of that has come over was Pat Noriega and that was years ago. There must be any number of quality players running around over there looking for a way to go pro. And with the chances of the Argies coming into the 3N in 2012 surely there are any number of players looking for a way to make the national team.

Burgs hasnt got enough beef on his property to feed the buggers

vCash
    I would campaign to use Argentineans as Marquee players, with the Pumas included in Tri Nations soon, it would be wise to protect the quality of the competition by exposing some of their players to the rigours of Southern Hemisphere rugby.

If Argentina are shit in the Four Nations, their inclusion won't help anybody.

C'mon the

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast