Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies face demanding schedule ahead of 2011 Rugby World Cup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Don't you mean the best of the rest after Argentina?
    I did think about that but given the Argies are sitting in 8th at the moment didn't really factor it in further, I'm sure they will cement a higher spot up the ladder once they get into the 4N

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DR GRAFENBURGH View Post

Wales will be conquered on our journey to Bill. They'll be easy
    Shit I've got enough to worry about with Fiji and Samoa than having to worry about the wallabies.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    That was actully pretty funny, you made me laugh.

Hey we won the Grand slam in 2005 and 2008 so at least we've got some silverware from recent outings. When did you last win anything, 2001 wasn't it?

You guys were only 1 extremely lucky kick from winning the wooden spoon again anyway.
    No offense meant. I was just doing a little bit of fishing of my own.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DR GRAFENBURGH View Post
    I think the sooker world cup is a pointer to the demands of professional sport and the drain it places on athletes. After 9 months and too many games to count, the best players rally for the sooker world cup. Most of them were too jaded to perform.

Not enough rugby brings rust, lack of match fitness and toughness.

It's a difficult balance. Australia will be better served from having a much wider squad battle hardened in test rugby. The next world cup will see wallaby selectors with more options than ever before.
    Northern Hemisphere rugby (or at least English rugby, who have been the most successful at the world cups) has traditionally been forward dominated and for them the best preparation for a world cup is lot of rugby to battle-harden the players.

In 2007 England beat a much better Australian team, mainly because they had that battle-hardiness. In tournament rugby the games come around a little bit quicker, with a corresponding reduction in recovery time. There's also the issues of how teams handle pressure (New Zealand, anyone?)

It'll be interesting to see if more games helps or hinders the SH teams. Overall, I think it'll help, as on a level playing field the NH teams can't match up; but the NH teams are more used to heavy schedules, and if this schedule doesn't work I can see a knee-jerk reaction to make the schedule for international players easier in 2015. (And that worked so well for NZ in the past!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if more games helps or hinders the SH teams.
    I think it'll be of massive significance. We all saw what happened when Graham Henry cotton-wooled the AllBlacks........they were total puusies by the time the hard stuff came around and capitulated without so much as a whimper.

As Rex said "Australia will be better served from having a much wider squad battle hardened in test rugby." Our second string (OK 1/3 second string) side is currently almost matching it with the AllBlacks, once the injuries sort themselves out we'll have a real shitfight for positions between the incumbent youngies who only really have to make the mental step to Intenational Rugby and the battle hardened veterans who have the nouse to win games......It'll all add up to a better team than what we have now, not everyone who is on the injured list will cut it in the 2011 Wallabies!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nor those in the playing list now Gigs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Australia has depth like never before.Our team is young and a little inexperienced so the more rugby they get, the better they will be at the business end of the RWC.

I've always thought the format of the RWC doesn't really suit the top teams.

The Allblacks have usually run up cricket score against minnows in the Pool games and have no test matches to prepare them for the sudden death matches. They always seem just a little unprepared or mentally under done in the big games at the end of the tournament.

Australia in 2007 didn't turn up. Our pack was smashed at the breakdown. Our Giteau led backline not intelligent enough to find a weakness in a very ordinary England backline. It was a sad chapter in Australian rugby

Controversy corner

vCash
    whilst we have more depth then ever before, its not purely limited to the younger guys coming through, there are still plenty of the older wallabies out there like Waugh, Shepherdson, Henderson, Blake, Dunning, Holmes, Gerrard, Freir, Mortlock and Cordingley who werent looked at this year(or are just returning) that could realistically challenge for squad positions in 2011 depending on injuries.

Out of those, there is probably no one who would challenge for a starting spot in the current team, but its pretty good insurance to have for 2011 just in case.

vCash
    I would argue that almost exclusively, those players you mentioned are on Dingo Deans reject list.

Deans has worked hard on his own brand and we have seen towards the end of the tri nations that the pieces are falling into place.

Vickerman and Big Kev Horwills' return will bolster the locks. Our young props are developing well but jesus we need a tighthead of quality. Surely a young man will eventually come along?

Mortlock could possibly feature if he gets his body right and performs in super rugby in 2011.

If Pocock stays injury free, Waugh seems to be on the outer

Injuries change everything and one thing is certain, there will sadly be injuries to change the mix of the squad.

Form is a criteria for wallaby selection under Deans and isn't it refreshing?

Who would have dreamed that the Faingaa twins, James Slipper, Higgers, Maa'fu, et al would be wallabies this year?

Exciting times ahead for this wallaby team. Beating the allblacks next year and winning the Bledisloe cup will be the perfect entrance to RWC 2011

In the words of the great Ray Price......."just belt 'em"

Controversy corner

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Don't know why, but instinct tells me Mortlock's Test journey hasn't ended just yet.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    A few of those names we can cross off quite easily as been on the reject list, but players like Mortlock, Gerrard and some of the props will still play apart in one way or another IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by TOCC; 21-09-10 at 08:54.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Form is a criteria for wallaby selection under Deans and isn't it refreshing?
    I'd say it's amazingly refreshing, until each week I see Giteau run out with a kicking tee (or just run out in general) and Dean Mumm fumbling round the park. It makes me sad!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Hopefully the Link will whip Shep into shape. That was a good pickup for QLD. The bloke needs a few angry pills before game day however........and a haircut

Henderson I believe has joined the Rebels? I don't see him featuring.

Holmes was the next big thing at one stage. I think if Fat Cat, Kepu, Slipper, Alexander are fit, he won't feature. I hope he proves me wrong. He has some ability.

Mortlock is a pedigree "hard c'unt". He has a cocksuredness about him and has the ability to unzip the kiwi centres in defence. He's also a great decoy man to get zip zip Kurtley on the outside in space. I hope he gets his body right. In form, you'd pick him.

I think all this discussion about who's coming back etc shows the amazing new depth in Australian rugby. I can't ever remember having so many genuine options in so many positions, especially in the engine room. Great stuff.

Another feather in the cap of western Rugby...........the land of opportunity and the wallaby makers. dead set. Every kid with talent should be lining up in Perth for a contract.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Don't know why, but instinct tells me Mortlock's Test journey hasn't ended just yet.
    I'd suggest he's hanging on by a thread purely by the fact that nobody who has been used to replace him has quite done the job. AAC is probably up to the standard, but would be picked at fullback ahead of Beale. Maybe the resurgence of Kurtley at 15 and the growing value of Rabbit at 14 will be enough to keep AAC at 13 (which will mean Mortlocks, out of luck.......don't see him as a benchsitter somehow

C'mon the

Prospect
    vCash
    Rugby World Cup Schedule and Qualifiers details here

Rugby World Cup 2011 Schedule
    Rugby World Cup 2011 Qualifying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast