Thread: HODGO BACK IN WALLABIES CAMP

vCash

HODGO BACK IN WALLABIES CAMP

Emirates Western Force loose forward Matt Hodgson will rejoin the Wallabies in Sydney on Tuesday following recovery from a groin strain that kept him out of the South African leg of the Tri-Nations series.
    Hodgson returned to Perth a fortnight ago to undertake his rehabilitation and is back to full fitness in time to press his claim for a spot in the squad to tackle the All Blacks in Sydney on Saturday night.

It won’t be easy though finding a spot in a Wallabies side which successfully ended a 47 year hoodoo on the highveld last Saturday with a heart stopping two point win against the Springboks in Bloemfontein.

“I’m just looking forward to getting back on the training track with the guys and if I can get an opportunity to play this weekend then even better,” Hodgson said.

“It was a great result against the Springboks and so good to see the hard work that the team puts in paying off.

“I’m feeling good and I’ll be ready to go if required.”

The quality of loose forwards in the Emirates Western Force ranks can be seen in the competition for places in the Wallabies set-up. Ben McCalman made his run-on test debut in Bloemfontein while David Pocock also started and Richard Brown played off the bench.

Hodgson said it was important for the Force to have depth in all departments and was delighted to see McCalman take his opportunity and play an important role last weekend.

While the Wallabies will have their tails up following the win against the Boks the focus must quickly switch to ending a nine match barren streak against an all conquering New Zealand outfit and finishing the Tri-Nations on a high.

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 06-09-10 at 17:53.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    McCalman certainly deserves to hold his place for another match IMHO.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Id keep McCalman, he did exactly what Brown couldn't do and that is bend the springbok defensive line, he runs the ball well and he is only going to get better at that. His defence was a little bit suspect at times, he slipped off a few tackles, but that's a fair trade off for the ability to get over the advantage line.

vCash
    I'm now convinced that Hodgson broke a mirror or something he has got to be the unluckiest player ever - he is a solid dynamite when he is on the pitch.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    that pick up on the line behind him from the kick off was gold, he made some great yards from that.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Id keep McCalman, he did exactly what Brown couldn't do and that is bend the springbok defensive line, he runs the ball well and he is only going to get better at that. His defence was a little bit suspect at times, he slipped off a few tackles, but that's a fair trade off for the ability to get over the advantage line.
    It's the intensity that was really good. How hard did he go on that ball that the Boks overthrew for JO'Cs try? He put his body on the line to the extent that it impeded the Boks enough to take it cleanly.

Maybe having McCalman as a real threat will get more out of Brown too. I thought he was pretty good when he came on in the second half.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.