Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Lions Tour of Australia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2013 Lions Tour of Australia

While the Rugby world is focused on New Zealand in late 2011, Australia should remain aware that the Lions are coming in mid 2013.
    At this stage the tour is tentatively commencing with a Barbarians match in Hong Kong (provisionally 01/06/13), followed by nine matches in Australia including three Tests.
    The fixtures are not yet known (or at least public) however, it is most likely the three Tests will be in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
    It is likely that there will be an Australia A match, leaving five other fixtures to work out.
    As payoff for no Test in Perth you would expect that the Western Force would host one of these fixtures and that perhaps the Australia A match would also be in Perth.
    You would also expect the Reds and Waratahs would both host fixtures, being the powerbrokers in the ARU if nothing else.
    While numerical logic would say six fixtures equal Australia A and five S15 franchises, the nature of a Lions Tour may see another feature match rather than a S15 match.
    In this instance, I would imagine the Brumbies (stadium capacity) or the Rebels (already hosting a Test in Melbourne) would be the most likely candidates to miss out. I’ll favour the ACT as "welcoming at the Capital" type media with the “Other” match being in Melbourne’s new Rugby venue. Possible candidates being Combined Services XV, Country XV, Emerging Wallabies (Under 23) or perhaps just the Rebels after all.

So, purely to visualize the scope of the tour (don't go booking flights just yet...), here is a potential fixture list:

1st June v Barbarians Hong Kong
    5th June v Brumbies Canberra
    8th June v Western Force Perth
    15th June v Australia A Perth
    19th June v Reds Brisbane
    22nd June v Wallabies Brisbane
    26th June v Rebels/"Other" Melbourne
    29th June v Wallabies Melbourne
    3rd July v Waratahs Sydney
    6th July v Wallabies Sydney

As I'm going to miss being in NZ next year, I say "BRING IT ON!!!"

McGeechan helping to plan 2013 Lions tour

Article Published: Tuesday 20 July 2010

The British and Irish Lions committee for the 2013 tour to Australia have asked former coach Ian McGeechan to help them plan their upcoming trip.
    McGeechan has player and coach has experience of seven tours and will act as a consultant and help to draw up the tour schedule and ensure the next coach and squad of players have the best possible chance of success.
    He has ruled himself out as a contender for the position of head coach but looks set to play a part in the tour.
    "Previously the opposition and travel has all been in place before the head coach is appointed," McGeechan told the Telegraph.
    "In South Africa we played the first Test in Durban, then went midweek to Cape Town and then traveled to Pretoria [for the second Test] at the worst time possible to go back to high altitude. "
    "I know Australia is not the same in terms of altitude but it does involve long-distance travel.
    "When you play, where you play and how you are setting it up will be key for the Lions.
    "Unless you have been involved in the game, you don't understand what it takes to put a professional tour together." he added.
    McGeechan has confirmed that there is the possibility of a Test match against Argentina or Japan en route to Australia would be among the Lions committee's discussions.
    The final schedule for the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour is likely to be drawn up and agreed with the Australian Rugby Union before the end of this year.

Lions to kick off 2013 tour in Hong Kong

Article Published: Monday 26 July 2010

The British and Irish Lions will kick off their tour in 2013 in Hong Kong rather than Australia as expected.
    The Lions are set to tour Australia for nine matches including three tests which with the Hong Kong fixture rounds the tour off at ten matches.
    According to The Rugby Paper the Hong Kong date has provisionally been booked for the 1st of June 2013 and will be against a star studded Barbarians team rather than the likes of Argentina.
    Hong Kong is the annual host of the most successful Sevens Rugby event and has hosted a Bledisloe Cup match between Australia and New Zealand. The two teams will play an additional Bledisloe Cup match this year in October before they hit Europe for their annual November internationals.
    The Lions fixture in Hong Kong is expected to generate as much as GBP 5 Million for the four Unions that make up the British and Irish Lions.
    The Rugby Paper goes on to say that former Scotland and British and Irish Lions fullback Andy Irvine from the 1974 tour to South Africa is in line to manage the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour.
    Irvine's team-mate from 1974 Ian McGeechan who was coach of the 2009 Lions tour to South Africa and many others is helping the Lions to arrange the fixtures.
    Fixtures for the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia are expected to be released later this year but The Rugby Paper predicts that the first Lions test will be on June the 22nd in Brisbane, the second Test on June the 29th in Melbourne and the third and final Test in Sydney on July the 6th.

Irvine set to lead 2013 British & Irish Lions tour

Article Published: Wednesday 11 August 2010

Scottish rugby legend Andy Irvine has emerged as the leading candidate to manage the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.
    The former Heriot's and Edinburgh full-back/wing has not ruled himself out and said, ""It is a possibility but early days yet (in the planning process)."
    Irvine was unwilling to be drawn on whether the post would interest him but the 58-year-old, who is currently chairman of the Lions committee formed between the four constituent countries, did drop one hint, saying: "It is just somebody putting two and two together and they might get four.?.?. or they might get seven. "
    "We've not even had our first meeting of the season yet." he told the Scotsman.
    Irvine won a then record of 51 Scotland caps and also toured with the Lions to South Africa (1974 and 1980) as well as New Zealand (1977).
    Irvine helped organise last year's Lions tour of South Africa and is also a director of the Bill McLaren Foundation.
    The 2013 tour is expected to kick off with an exhibition match in Hong Kong.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This is a magnificent (and sensible) fixture, Burgs. Do you think they will give Perth two games, though? It will be a crackajack tour nevertheless.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Must admit, the cynic in me says no Normie, probably just wishful thinking. It’s probably more likely we will get a Wednesday match after Hong Kong and not see the circus for the rest of the tour...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Any Lions match in Perth will be a bonus IMHO

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Oh I dunno TIF, I have fond memories (and the poster somewhere) of them playing WA at the WACA in the 80's. My first major Rugby match.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    We're surely deserving of a test. Economics dictate we won't get one of the three and I accept that, but surely we'll be good for a couple of midweek games........there'll also be a four nations campaign to cater for as well....I reckon Canberra would get a 4N match that year (I would assume Argentina) and one each in the others (Assuming we play at least one of the teams twice at home, I don't think any agreements have been made about whether there is a three match series or not)
    It might look like this
    Brissy - AllBlacks
    Canberra - Argies
    Perth - South Africa
    Sydney - Second home game with whichever team suits
    we might even get two home games against two opponents, meaning an extra test for somebody (the smart money will be on Brisvegas)
    If'n the series becomes play each other twice, then Canberra will miss out on a sheep stations test (But we might get Argentina)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ... (But we might get Argentina)
    yes please.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I reckon they'll do pretty well by Perth. The number of UK ex-pats here make it pretty certain we'd sell out any games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    We're surely deserving of a test. Economics dictate we won't get one of the three and I accept that, but surely we'll be good for a couple of midweek games........there'll also be a four nations campaign to cater for as well....I reckon Canberra would get a 4N match that year (I would assume Argentina) and one each in the others (Assuming we play at least one of the teams twice at home, I don't think any agreements have been made about whether there is a three match series or not)
    It might look like this
    Brissy - AllBlacks
    Canberra - Argies
    Perth - South Africa
    Sydney - Second home game with whichever team suits
    we might even get two home games against two opponents, meaning an extra test for somebody (the smart money will be on Brisvegas)
    If'n the series becomes play each other twice, then Canberra will miss out on a sheep stations test (But we might get Argentina)
    the Tri-Nations/4-Nations competition will be reverting back to each team only playing each other only twice, once home and once away. 2010 is the last year each team is playing each other 3 times, in 2011 it is reduced because of the RWC and in 2012 it is reduced due to the inclusion of Argentina.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    the Tri-Nations/4-Nations competition will be reverting back to each team only playing each other only twice, once home and once away. 2010 is the last year each team is playing each other 3 times, in 2011 it is reduced because of the RWC and in 2012 it is reduced due to the inclusion of Argentina.
    Thank goodness!
    Never liked the three round format, made things totally disjointed and some took importance off each fixture, meanwhile neglecting other nations....
    Anyway,

"Here kitty kitty..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    good to see andy irvine in the coaching mix..i've had him as my avatar for a while, back in his playing days!!....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Oh I dunno TIF, I have fond memories (and the poster somewhere) of them playing WA at the WACA in the 80's. My first major Rugby match.
    Pretty sure I was at that one too! Was that the one where WA finally got a try against them even though Lions won by 100 points, or was that a more recent one?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    We scored TWO tries against them in 2001!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    Pretty sure I was at that one too! Was that the one where WA finally got a try against them even though Lions won by 100 points, or was that a more recent one?
    Sorry Burgs, but your memory may be playing tricks on you. The Lions tour of '89 played WA at Perry Lakes and won 44-0. Lions_1989
    They played at the WACA in 2001 and won 116-10. Lions_2001
    Of course, the website may be wrong, so if you've a poster of that match, I'd contact them.

Champion
    vCash
    No game for NSW Country Cockatoos....disgraceful

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast