Thread: Semi finals: England edge Walleroos in Titanic Battle

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Semi finals: England edge Walleroos in Titanic Battle

Job done for England, who confirmed their place in Sunday's Women's Rugby World Cup 2010 final against New Zealand, but Gary Street's side were made to work awfully hard for their 15-0 win over Australia.

For the best part of an hour, based on a huge forward dominance, England pummelled the Wallaroos time and again. Yet there has never yet been an Australian sporting side that will throw in the towel and today was no exception.

England will wonder how they only scored 12 points until a late penalty settled the nerves but it was down to individual errors from the home side and superb spirit and defence from the visitors.

England had some scary moments in the final quarter and will know that they will have to step it up a gear if they are to deny the Black Ferns a fourth crown.

Kicking duel

The tension was palpable in the opening stages and the crowd at the Stoop were treated to something of a rarity in this tournament - a tactical kicking duel.

Finally keeping the ball in hand, England centre Alice Richardson almost blasted her way clear with a break from first receiver but the England pack muscled their way to the first try with skipper Catherine Spencer just making the line after a powerful five metre scrum after only seven minutes.

England looked composed and also seemingly determined to play the game in the Australia half with fly half Katy McLean kicking astutely and pinning the Wallaroos back.

Australia struggled to get out of their own half while England winger Fiona Pocock enjoyed two good breaks, although the second was halted by a shuddering try-saving hit from Nicole Beck.

Pocock was shaken and receiving treatment but her team mates stayed focussed and Amy Turner gave Danielle Waterman just enough room to score on the blindside. 12-0 after 23 minutes was a promising start for the home side.

The Wallaroos were far from done though and gave the England defence a good work out as the game went past the half hour mark before a steal from Maggie Alphonsi relieved the pressure.

As half time approached, the England pack went for the jugular as a powerful catch and drive almost fashioned a try for scrum half Amy Turner but the ball squirted loose in the act of touching down as the Wallaroos creaked but made it to half time still in touch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlifVfi0Kvo"]YouTube- WRWC: Round 4 Performance of the Day[/ame]

England on top after break

The England pack duly picked up where they left off and the Wallaroos eight were definitely on the back foot. England huffed and puffed, but a lack of precision and some excellent defence prevented any further addition to the score in the opening minutes.

Indeed, the Wallaroos' work in defence seemed to inspire the visitors as they began to work their way back into the game.

As Australia started to threaten, a slight air of anxiety crept around the Stoop and Danielle Waterman had to put in a tremendous defensive tackle to half the flying Beck.

Momentum was certainly with the Wallaroos and Heather Fisher's yellow card on 68 minutes gave them further hope. Down to 14, England were stretched but hanging on.

England weathered the storm and were thankful for a late McLean penalty to clinch the win. But there will be lots for them to think about ahead of Sunday's big game against New Zealand.

England flanker Maggie Alphonsi: "I don't think I can ever question their effort, they have always given everything they have got and possibly tonight we got pretty close but in fairness the English defended very well and looked after that start they got in the second half.

"I did say at half time to be 12-0 down without the ball basically for probably 35 minutes was encouraging and certainly the fact that if we could get ball we would do ok. We looked pretty good for a while there with the ball but we just couldn't get that try."

Australia coach John Manenti: "I don't think I can ever question their effort, they have always given everything they have got and possibly tonight we got pretty close but in fairness the English defended very well and looked after that start they got in the second half.

"I did say at half time to be 12-0 down without the ball basically for probably 35 minutes was encouraging and certainly the fact that if we could get ball we would do ok. We looked pretty good for a while there with the ball but we just couldn't get that try."

Australia captain Cheryl Soon: "It was a very tough day at the office, we did the best that we could but it just wasn't enough in the end. We weren't going to go down without a fight. We said from the start we weren't going to give up no matter what happened.

"I thought our defence was absolutely courageous - we held them out. I don't think the scoreline was an indication of how the game actually went. It could have been a lot higher, but that just shows how courageous we are in our defence. We're Aussie battlers and we never give up.

"Inexperience let us down in the end; we don't have a lot of Test matches. If we did, I think we'd be taking the cup home. We just need more Test matches, ideally against New Zealand, South Africa - a mini Tri Nations would be nice."

http://www.rwcwomens.com/news/newsid...titanic+battle
    Attached Images Attached Images  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Watch it from the 45 second mark.

With tackling like that from the 13 and 15 I'm not suprised they lost.

Excellent cover tackling from the winger who came from the other side of the ground to make that awesome tackle.

15 players tackling like that and they may have done better.

vCash
    if the Wallabies can tackle like that 11

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    England flanker Maggie Alphonsi: "I don't think I can ever question their effort, they have always given everything they have got and possibly tonight we got pretty close but in fairness the English defended very well and looked after that start they got in the second half.

Australia coach John Manenti: "I don't think I can ever question their effort, they have always given everything they have got and possibly tonight we got pretty close but in fairness the English defended very well and looked after that start they got in the second half.

How spooky that they both thought of exactly the same thing to say!

vCash
    The name of the English winger who got creamed in that tackle by the Aussie no.11?....... Pocock

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tackle of the year!

Nicole Beck

Name Nicole Beck
    Club Sydney University (NSW)
    Position Wing
    Nickname Pup
    Height 168cm
    Weight 66kg
    Date of Birth 28/05/1988
    Representative honours Australia (2008- ), Australian Sevens (2008- )

The baby-faced speedster from New South Wales coastal town Bulli, Nicole Beck made her debut for Australia in both the full and shortened versions of the game in 2008 after an impressive club season with Sydney University. Currently studying Physical and Health Education at the University of Wollongong, Nicole is a proud member of the World Cup-winning Australia Women’s Sevens team which beat New Zealand in the final in Dubai in 2009. She was given the nickname Pup by late Australian Sevens coach Shawn Mackay for being the youngest member in his squad. Nicole has the unique skill of being able to touch her eyebrows with her nose.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wouldn't call 15-0 "edging it" as it's 3 scores clear.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!