Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The WA Force new home - The WACA?

Champion
    vCash

Exclamation The WA Force new home - The WACA?

Here's the details?

Subi used as a Cricket and Aussies Rules ground

WACA used as a Rugby and Football ground

Good idea

http://www.thewest.com.au/20060510/n...sto134128.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Gawd I hope not
    The WACA is a great old ground and I enjoy watching the odd cricket match there but it is logistically a nightmare for access. It's bad enough once or twice a year with 22,000 let alone 6-9 times a year with 35,000!
    And how many people actually go out in the City after the match anyway?
    This whole "City Focus" factor in the parameters of the Langoulant Review is misguided in my opinion.
    Subiaco and Members Equity as locations are far more accessable and nearer to after match entertainment venues than the dead end of the CBD.
    I think the single most important factor for any relocation is proximity to rail, closely followed to proximity to freeway and night life.
    Full marks to the WACA for being proactive in trying to stay relevant but I really hope that RugbyWA aren't lured to play there.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I could not agree with Burgs more. $50 mill for 35000 seats? This seems very shortsighted. What will happen when the Force start winning and all the swingers jump on the band wagon? I think the WACA are after a quick buck.

vCash
    As handy as the WACA is for me, the plan doesn't sound very convincing
    Looks expensive, with many points of potential failure. I'd rather see a more permanent set-up, with room for expansion, and one that's not just used for S14.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    I could not agree with Burgs more. $50 mill for 35000 seats? This seems very shortsighted. What will happen when the Force start winning and all the swingers jump on the band wagon? I think the WACA are after a quick buck.
    Flamethrower, dont tell everyone, but the Force have started winning.

The WACA plan sounds like a good plan, but lets face it, I dont see any of us being happy untill they build a $500 Million dollar Rugby/Soccer Stadium on a train line with a drinking/restaurant precinct out the front. That will take about 3 years to build.

The problem is there is no ground that will satisfy the needs that RugbyWA has as far as capacity is concerned. There is no ground in Perth that is Suitable for the WesternForce has far as Facilities is concerned. Lets face it short of a monster injection of cash we will have to put up with the best there is so its pick a winner between Subi and the WACA. I dont think Members Equity is suitable for the Force from a capacity point of view.

Last edited by .X.; 11-05-06 at 08:11.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    The WACA plan sounds like a good plan, but lets face it, I dont see any of us being happy untill they build a $500 Million dollar Rugby/Soccer Stadium .......................

SNIP
    ..............we will have to put up with the best there is so its pick a winner between Subi and the WACA.
    The WACA proposal seems to be a long term one tho, rather than a stop gap till the "Megastadium" is built. I can't see anyone coughing up $50mil unless the Force are a permanent tenant. If it's a short term choice between ME, the WACA and Subi there's no contest. As unsuitable as Subi is it wins hands down.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Dreadfully sorry I didn't make my comment more clear Exile.
    In saying winning I mean more than one game.
    In the next three years the Force ladder could read like the Crusaders this year.

Played 12

Won 10

Lost 1

Drawn 1

Home
    Wins 6

When this happens there will be a massive increase in interest from outside the diehard fans.

Last edited by Burgs; 11-05-06 at 10:33.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    Flamethrower, dont tell everyone, but the Force have started winning.

The WACA plan sounds like a good plan, but lets face it, I dont see any of us being happy untill they build a $500 Million dollar Rugby/Soccer Stadium on a train line with a drinking/restaurant precinct out the front. That will take about 3 years to build.
    or we could just not worry bout the soccer part ... and it should be BYO hehehe that could get nasty!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy
    and it should be BYO hehehe that could get nasty!
    ah takes me back to the good old days on the hill at the SCG when each man was allowed to bring in one carton each.....now that my friends is the responsible service of alcohol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    ah takes me back to the good old days on the hill at the SCG when each man was allowed to bring in one carton each.....now that my friends is the responsible service of alcohol
    It sure was responsible. Responsible for all the lumps on the back of my head

One of my most vivid memories of the place was the 'Boks "last" test there. It was a Wednesday afternoon and I still remember some of our teachers in the driveway of the school trying to get us to stay for afternoon classes, rather than heading for the Test Match.
    They were about as successful as King Canute

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Logistics and capacity dictate that Subi in the short term is the only way to go. In the longer term there has to be a dedicated multi pupose stadium built. Christ, this is Perth not some backwater hole.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I just can't see how it would work at the waca. To get a retractable stand to move from the northern side of the ground in far enough so that the Lillee-Marsh stand is also on the sidelines would be a mamoth effort. I would have thought that you would have to have both sides of the groung moving in so that one stand would not have to be moved 40 - 50 metres.....

Still 35,000 would be big enough I think for S14 games (anything is better than Subi). Not for test matches however. Still need a solution for that.... and I fear that subi is not the answer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I think the single most important factor for any relocation is proximity to rail, closely followed to proximity to freeway and night life.
    That's why I think Burswood would be an ideal place for it (as mentioned in another thread). You can drive directly off the freeway or step off the existing train station, place a bet on the way to your seat and have a night out after the game (paid for by the money you won on the Force). It would create a bit of a sports precinct with the golf and tennis and horses.

Most importantly it would be a new stadium that doesn't have a controlling interest by a foreign body (read WAFC), which would mean fair negotiation of rent and access.

If the govt. wishes to utilise my completely unbiased services as a consultant on the matter, I would be willing to accept similar contract terms to Dr. Neil Fong (of Health Department fame)...

vCash
    Having worked the last 5 years at Burswood Dome, I still reckon instead of knocking the whole thing down, use some of the infrastructure and build a nice rugby stadium with a retractable roof. The only drawback is the new housing development. All those rich snobs wouldn't want the crowds and the noise (just like those subi snobs).

vCash
    The WACA has got to be the worst possible stadium they could possibly choose! PLZ dont let it happen PLZ!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast