Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lock, Prop and One Smoking Back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ben Daley and Dan Palmer played a couple of games off the bench last year (did either one get a start?) and look where Daley has got to now. A couple of experienced props is important but we'll be fine for next year.
    Ben Daley has been in the Reds Academy since 2006 and before making his debut in 2008, even the 'young' ones like Ben Daley have been in the system for years.

Im just agreeing with Farva, similar to how the Reds couldnt keep Slipper, Daley, Anae and PAE, there were already to many young props in the system.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Although he has two years left on his contract, I'd say that Keiran has this year to show that he can make the step up. He's got to oust Dunning to be No3, because he's now got two young U20 Wallabies behind him. If he can't oust Dunning then either Dunning stays (unlikely), the Force look to bring in a third prop, or one of PAE and CAN steps up to that spot. I'd be sorry to see K-bomb go, but that's professional sport.

Champion
    vCash
    way to show faith in local talent once more Force...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    way to show faith in local talent once more Force...
    Cruz and Silivia are both local aren't they?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The joys of trying to keep the results driven punters and the aspiring local talent all happy at the same time Pruc.
    I think they have shown a reasonable degree of local development will in the course of the Club.
    A second tier would open up huge opportunities for the enhanced development of the local playing pool.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Cruz and Silivia are both local aren't they?
    Siliva is Victorian

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    Ben Daley was a regular started for Qld.
    Palmer moved to the Brumbies to get a game.

However, both of these lads have had the benefit of a couple of S14 seasons around the pro set up before they were considered for a S14s bench spot. And both are in their 20s.

Its not a huge problem to have, we have two of the best young up and coming props in Australia in Cruze Ah-Nau and PAE. Just being the devils advocate for a second, and trying to figure out how to keep them both in the squad. Neither are going to want to be on academy contracts next year, and there will be interest from over east.
    Ben Daley is 22. If as TOCC says, he had a debut in 2008 he'd have been 20. What I am saying is that even though PAE will be 20 next year he'll be ready for 2012 by which time Dunning will probably be gone. I'm not talking about using him next year as I think Dunning/Cowan/Fairbrother/Longbottom are a good enough group for next year. So it will be pretty much the same introduction that Daley got to Super Rugby.

Sorry GIGS but Siliva is from Melbourne.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    So PAE and Battye have signed rookie contracts. What does that actually mean? Does that count towards our squad numbers?
    I know what it used to mean. It was a condition for all Super teams to have at least 3 rookies contracted i.e. players who had never played Super rugby before - and IIRR, a maximum of 5.

The idea behind it was to make sure that each franchise was giving young players a chance and not just warehousing them in their cheapo professional academies year after year, and recycling them.

Josh Holmes told me once that rookies had to undergo more technical training for their position but otherwise they had the same standing as other contracted players.

The thing is: this requirement was mentioned in the RUPA agreement, which was supposed to to run until 2008 only, but hasn't been renewed yet.

The Tahs have 29 players listed on their web-site and there is only one rookie in it, and teams are constrained from having more than 30 players in 2011 (unless the journos have it wrong). Maybe the RUPA rookie requirement is still in force or maybe it's not and they just used the old nomenclature when announcing the recent signings.

And yes - rookies were always part of the contracted players total.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Grant View Post

The Tahs have 29 players listed on their web-site and there is only one rookie in it, and teams are constrained from having more than 30 players in 2011 (unless the journos have it wrong). Maybe the RUPA rookie requirement is still in force or maybe it's not and they just used the old nomenclature when announcing the recent signings.

And yes - rookies were always part of the contracted players total.
    Lee Grant, A question if you don't mind.

Didn't the Tahs announce about 18 months ago that they were reducing the number of contracted players for economic reasons. Or something like that???

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    All Australian squads were reduced to 30, LG the RUPA agreement has been renewed, I haven't heard about the 3 rookie rule...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2