Thread: 'Good on him': Pocock applauds McCaw's smarts in pushing laws to limit

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

'Good on him': Pocock applauds McCaw's smarts in pushing laws to limit

'Good on him': Pocock applauds McCaw's smarts in pushing laws to limit

Rupert Guinness

September 8, 2010
    Click for more photos World Cup rugby ball comes to Sydney

Richie McCaw of the New Zealand All Blacks and Rocky Elsom of the Australian Wallabies. Photo: Getty Images

DAVID POCOCK is unlike most players in rugby. And that is not just because of the young Wallabies forward's top-shelf status as one of the best openside flankers in the international game.
    The 22-year-old Western Force player is also a standout for his view on an area of the game for which his greatest adversary, All Blacks captain and No.7 Richie McCaw, is often criticised.
    Namely, McCaw's ability to stretch the letter of the law at the breakdown to the limit - or beyond it, without being penalised. Whereas others bemoan McCaw for it, Pocock applauds.
    ''Richie has been up there for a long time,'' Pocock says. ''He's very smart and very good about the way he goes about his game, playing to the limits, which is what every No.7 should be doing.
    ''He is smart and good at reading the play at the right time. The key is how he reads refs. A lot of people think he gets away with stuff, but it's the way he plays right to the edge. Good on him.''
    That Pocock gives the McCaw style the thumbs up says much about his outlook on how he should play for the Wallabies. It is of no coincidence, then, that the contest between this pair heightens with every encounter - the next at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.
    McCaw has taken note of Pocock's emergence. Asked by the Herald if he posed as much of a challenge as former Wallabies great George Smith, McCaw said: ''Not far off, to be honest. At the breakdown he has a good idea of how to have an impact. He's a strong character, has physical presence. The Tests we've played we've had to make sure we keep him under control. ''
    Wallabies back-rower Ben McCalman credits his Western Force teammate for part of his impressive game at No.8 in Australia's 41-39 win over the Springboks last weekend.
    ''Having played with him in the Force this year also helped me understand how he plays,'' he said. ''It helps him understand how I play. So if I can tie that in with him, it helps my game. David is always following the ball. So if you can make a dominant tackle - or it's a low tackle - he is always there to get on to the ball. I am not sure I have seen him play a bad game yet. He is up there with the best one or two in the world as openside breakaway.''
    Against the Springboks at Bloemfontein, Pocock was superb with his pilfering of the ball. He was pleased with his performance, but cites the support play for making his job easier. ''At Bloemfontein I had more of a focus on picking and choosing when to go into rucks … knowing the guys around me, rather than being so single-minded about stealing the ball,'' he said.
    ''A lot of that comes from the world around you. I thought, Benny McCalman had a superb game, and the backs. When they tackle well it's pretty easy to get in there quick.'' But Pocock is relishing the prospect of another head-to-head with McCaw. ''He is world class,'' he said. ''He has a high work rate. I really enjoy playing against him. It's a great challenge.''
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...907-14zmw.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bam's a young man of great integrity, but the timing of the article (ie about to play against him) leads a little to "he would say that" territory.
    His rise has been as predicted and fantastic to watch, he will surpass McCaw before much longer, no doubt.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Bam Bam already surpasses McCaw in physicality, and from the article it sounds like he's learnt he has to play the ref as well as McCaw does.
    McCaw spends the first 10 minutes of each game assessing what the ref will let either side get away with, then adjusts his game to that. I hate the guy, but you have to admire his smarts.

vCash
    McCaw is better than Pocock in most aspects. But Pocock did well in their last battle and can definitely match it with him again.

vCash
    Jazza i disagree..
    the two are like Chalk & Cheese
    What Bam does well.. McCaw has no chance of emulating.. however i believe as Bam gets more experience he will be able to play with the smarts that McCaw does..
    He may not have the recognition that mcCaw does at the moment but it wont be long till he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Bam Bam already surpasses McCaw in physicality, and from the article it sounds like he's learnt he has to play the ref as well as McCaw does.
    McCaw spends the first 10 minutes of each game assessing what the ref will let either side get away with, then adjusts his game to that. I hate the guy, but you have to admire his smarts.

I believe Pocock will be the next Wallaby captain after Elsom and his understanding of the ref and relationship with the ref will be crucial.

vCash
    i would like to see Pocock improve his ball running and ball playing aspect of his game, this where George Smith set himself apart from the other open-sides, not only could he pilfer a ball, but he could off-load, pass and run the ball just as well as any other forward. Heck he even put in a few kicks over the years

vCash
    Pocock relishes the opportunity to run with the ball into contact, knowing he will dominate the contact, thus providing a platform for the next phase while putting the opposition on the back foot.

He is also a (to me) surprisingly good passer of the pill on both sides.

I have never seen him kick the ball, probably because he doesn't want/need to, but given the hand-eye co-ordination he clearly has, I expect he can do that too.

I think McCaw is #1 in the position right now, but I don't think McCaw was as high in the rankings as Pocock is at the same age. If you see what I mean.

.....and as I have said before somewhere on TWF, I'd have thought it is every player in every sporting team's job to find out how much they can get away with, so Richie is just the best at it. It ain't cheating.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    McCaw won't last too much longer in the international game. He's had too many concussions.

I still don't forgive George Smith the kick ahead he did against the Boks after the siren that went into touch 5 or 6 years ago.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The understanding he is building with Benny McCalman is great too.

vCash
    Pocock was a Centre before he came to the Force so there is no reason why he wouldnt be able to run the ball when required..
    but You will note that he sticks to a game plan and doesnt try to over play his hand.. he is a genuine team player and is far more effective playing that way that trying to be a goosestepping glory seeker like a couple of his team mates..

vCash
    Pocock deserves to be Captain..one thing for sure when he is Captain he wont have big boots to fill..Elsom is NOT a Captain...
    Sharpie should have been made Captain this year....Has Elsom got the respect of the players..no I don't think so...and all he does is put the ref "offside"....!!!

vCash
    Richie is still a long way ahead, Richie is the perfect link-man between forwards and backs, additionally he is near perfect in reading attack and playing the defensive pattern, Pocock still needs to improve in these areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i would like to see Pocock improve his ball running and ball playing aspect of his game, this where George Smith set himself apart from the other open-sides, not only could he pilfer a ball, but he could off-load, pass and run the ball just as well as any other forward. Heck he even put in a few kicks over the years

Smith liked the grubber kick a bit to much for mine. He went missing in all the big matches when opposing packs got a bit brutal with the wallabies. Waugh was harder on the ball and was as hard as the coffin nail.

Bam will be better than both of them

McCaw is possibly the best openside of all time. Josh Kronfield was a mighty fine one as well however. McCaws speed to the breakdown is incredible. His workrate is unmatched. His mobility is remarkable. His ability to spoil your ball and pilfer it is well documented however his abilty to carry the ball into traffic and stay on his feet is underestimated. He has remarkably strong legs and core strength. He is an incredibly tough player. His tenacity and toughness sets him apart from most who have ever played the game.

He is still number one although Bam could be as good one day

The allblacks are a hard team to beat with McCaw in the lineup. He is simply outstanding.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Pocock deserves to be Captain..one thing for sure when he is Captain he wont have big boots to fill..Elsom is NOT a Captain...
    Sharpie should have been made Captain this year....Has Elsom got the respect of the players..no I don't think so...and all he does is put the ref "offside"....!!!
    Elsom is growing as a captain. I like his no nonsense post match interviews. He talks straight. No wishy washy press pleasing pc crap.

He has been seen to pester the referee more in recent matches. he has stepped up the agro at training and int he sheds. He does expect high standards.

The players respect him.

The problem I see is he isn't the best 6 in the country

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Elsom whines like a biartch, makes me ill.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast