Thread: Kristy Giteau seeks Cup one-up on Matt

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kristy Giteau seeks Cup one-up on Matt

Kristy Giteau seeks Cup one-up on Matt

By Tom Wald, AAP August 19, 2010, 11:21 am

Kristy Giteau really likes having one up on her little brother Matt.
    So the chance of playing in a World Cup-winning rugby side before the elusive Wallaby back has her very excited.
    The Wallaroos winger has the opportunity to achieve that feat in the coming fortnight in the sixth edition of the women's tournament in England.
    Australia open their campaign against Wales on Friday at Surrey Sports Park in Guildford and Kristy has told Matt he has to match her by making next year's World Cup in New Zealand.
    "He said 'I think I have two World Cups (appearances) up on you and potentially a third (in 2011), so I am the one up'," she said.
    Matt is known for being a bit cheeky but Kristy shows it may be just a family trait.
    She says after growing up with three brothers who all played rugby, the physical side of the game was never going to be a great problem for her.
    "He (Matt) is incredibly metro(sexual) and probably more so the girl in the family than I am," she said.
    "I think if he can game up and play against 130 kilograms props, then I can have a crack."
    Not that Kristy showed much interest in playing rugby in her youth, having been a talented junior basketballer.
    She only stumbled into the sport during her second year of university.
    Her father, former gun rugby league player Ron Giteau, was responsible for dragging her into his sport.
    "I went into rugby league because my Dad roped me into it because he got roped into being a women's coach when he was at the local pub," she said.
    "He said he might need some speed and come have a run and that is how I got into that.
    "From that, I got into rugby union."
    The Wallaroos have drawn a very tricky group for the World Cup that includes defending champions New Zealand, South Africa and Six Nations Champions Wales.
    With the semi-finalists determined from the pool stages, Australia must either top the group or be the second-placed side with the most points to advance.
    Wallaroos coach John Manenti believes his team must lead the group standings to reach the final four.
    "Being the toughest pool, the second-placed team with the most points is probably not going to come from our pool," he said.
    "So effectively you have to win it."
    Australia have never finished higher than fifth at a World Cup but victory in last year's inaugural World Cup Sevens in Dubai has provided them with some reason for hope.

Wallaroos team to play Wales: Tricia Brown, Kristy Giteau, Sharni Williams, Cobie-Jane Morgan, Nicole Beck, Tui Ormsby, Ili Batibasaga, Alex Hargeaves, Shannon Perry, Rebecca Trethowan, Kate Porter, Chris Ross (capt), Lindsay Morgan, Silei Poluleuligaga, Caroline Vakaalahi. Res: Danielle Meskell,
    Margaret Watson, Rebecca Clough, Debbie Hodgkinson, Cheryl Soon, Cheyenne Campbell, Tobie McGann.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ne-up-on-matt/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "He (Matt) is incredibly metro(sexual) and probably more so the girl in the family than I am," she (Kristy Giteau) said.

Rex was right all along.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    "He (Matt) is incredibly metro(sexual) and probably more so the girl in the family than I am," she (Kristy Giteau) said.
    probably chucks a better tanty as well!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    probably chucks a better tanty as well!
    more then a fair chance of that

Exile
    Sydney