Thread: Comment: Lions treat Force with contempt

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Comment: Lions treat Force with contempt

Comment: Lions treat Force with contempt

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian August 14, 2010, 10:13 am

Enlarge photo

The John Mitchell coaching debacle has thrown yet another cloud over his relationship with the Western Force.
    It has also sent a feeling of unease through the Force camp, its players, supporters and sponsors.
    The Johannesburg-based Golden Lions have been making bold statements about wanting Mitchell to lead them into the new era of Super rugby next year.
    Lions president Kevin de Klerk was happy to tell the world they were negotiating with Mitchell, who is coaching their Currie Cup side while on leave from the Force.
    Just only one small problem with that of course - Mitchell still has a year to run on his Western Force contract.
    But even that did not deter the Lions.
    Their chief executive, Manie Reyneke, told _The West Australian _they would ask the Force to release the former All Black coach from that contract.
    "It would be to our advantage, and to his," Reyneke boasted.
    The Golden Lions are treating the Force with contempt. They have ignored the club, which is still waiting for an explanatory note or call from Johannesburg.
    And now they are greeting questions about their intentions with a stony silence.
    "Plse (sic) note, the Golden Lions Rugby Union will not answer any questions about John Mitchell going forward, if you have questions plse (sic) direct them to John Fordham (Mitchell's manager) at the Fordham company," they said in a statement to _The West Australian _.
    Fordham and Mitchell insist that all talks have been informal - while at the same time Fordham said there was no question that the door would be open for further discussions.
    So where does reality lie? The line between "informal" and "formal" talks is a very hazy one.
    Mitchell has always said he would honour his contact, but a coach and his players need mutual respect.
    The Force must not again be put in a situation where they have to broker a working relationship between coach and players as they did after the 2009 inquiry into Mitchell's coaching.
    It must not become a long-running saga, dragging on until one side cracks. Certainly the Force have the upper hand over the Lions - they have a contract - and have no intention of getting rid of the coach, if for no other reason than it would cost them a tidy sum.
    Speculation was rife in March when Mitchell confirmed what came as no surprise to many - that he would be leaving the Force at the end of 2011 season.
    It gathered strength two months later when, in Johannesburg on the Force tour of South Africa, Mitchell confirmed that he had had informal talks with the Lions about the Currie Cup position.
    To silence the speculation once and for all, Mitchell must come out and state categorically that he has no intention or interest in coaching the Lions in Super rugby next year.
    Transparency is a much overused word in sporting circles. Transparency is exactly what is needed here.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...with-contempt/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This better not turn into another preseason F#*$ around for the team.

Go The Force!

vCash
    That is a giant cowface of an act Lions. I for one want Mitchell to stay, to go out with a bang. I'll be so disappointed if he leaves now. I can't believe they actually have comments in the article!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I just have an idea that Mitch are going to stay with the Force for next year

vCash
    A pretty hopeless "announcement" by the Lions. Little wonder they are in an administrative mess, according to reports anyway. IF Mitchell wants to cut the Force loose, this type of "informal negotiation" might mean he wants to coach S15 in Jo'burg next season plus screw some separation from RugbyWA. IF That were the case they should sit on their hands and the contract. If he's not back in his office doing the job when he's due he'll have breached that contract and would probably be inline for dismissal.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Agreed Shasta, If he's the one who wants to pull the pin early he needs to pay for the privilege. If this is all bullshit from the Lions, make them pay.

I don't know that John's presence at the Force will make a lot of difference next year anyway. I honestly believe Richard Graham has been doing much of the work recently and there will be a very long period of transition.

But it would be nice to find an excuse to save some cash for the year, maybe they'll drop the price of Memberships in celebration!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ya gotta cut RWA some slack.

I mean, its not like we have had to change our coach 4 out of 5 years.

Prospect
    vCash
    Interesting article though I cant help but think why the media cant ask a little more of John Mitchell here. Dont get me wrong, I think he's been a fair coach, though there's no doubt he's upset people.

I'm surprised most cant seem the game Mitchell and his manager are playing here. By effectively 'resigning' with 15-16 months (and two seasons) of his contract to run he was putting it squarely in the face of RWA.

By resigning so early, Mitchell is calling RWA's bluff. If they want him to hang around till the end of 2012, he will (or may) but internal issues (if they do exist) will only fester in this period and its unlikely to be a health place for anyone.

If RWA ask for Mitchell to move on earlier (as any sporting group would) then they effectively fall in to his hands - or his pocket and he'll demand a payout. His very public statements about being under contract etc are all intended to position himself as being seen to do the right thing.

So, to RWA's credit they havent fallen for that trick and no doubt this has left Mitchell and his Manager frustrated. Which leads them to South Africa.

Now in SA, Mitchell has found a new employer. Of course he still has to maintain the party line about promising to fill a contract for 2012 at the WF, but you can bet your life on its his manager is doing is best to get him a release so he can earn more in SA.

But here's the catch. RWA are kind of in the box seat here. The could keep Mitchell on their books for 2012 and consign him to the kitchen for the year. Mitchell wont want this as he'll miss the chance to secure the role at the Lions. And his manager knows this.

So, what price John (Mitchell) and your manager. Surely if you want to leave early (and we all know deep down you do) surely you, or your new employer, can pay the WF compensation for the inconvenience?

Hang in there RWA, don't fall for the oldest trick in the book.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just a technicality, he hasn't (yet at least) resigned, he just hasn't re-signed beyond his current contract, as everyone knew to be his position for several seasons.
    It may all well prove to be part of some elaborate plan, but to this stage he has totally done the right thing by the club, as he has throughout his contract.
    He would be well aware that RWA isn't going to want to cut him free and pay money for nothing, so I am pretty confident this is almost all agitation coming from the Lions. If they want him so badly they will wait until post S15.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    If they want him so badly they will wait until post S15.
    or break out the cheque book

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!