Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell set to end ties with the Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell set to end ties with the Force

Mitchell set to end ties with the Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian August 11, 2010, 6:49 am

Duif du Toit/Gallo Images/Getty Images © Enlarge photo

The Western Force may release coach John Mitchell from his contract to lead the Johannesburg-based Lions into the new Super rugby competition.
    Mitchell joined the Lions for this season's Currie Cup and has always insisted he would return to Perth for the last year of his Force deal.
    But Lions president Kevin de Klerk has admitted negotiating with Mitchell to take over as their new Super competition head coach.
    "We are negotiating with John to remain at the Lions … but this depends on whether there is a way out of his contract and if the Western Force will release him," de Klerk said.
    News that the Lions are negotiating with Mitchell, who first opened discussions with the club during the Force tour of South Africa in May, comes as no surprise.
    While the Force have not heard officially from de Klerk or Mitchell, they have not ruled out releasing him early.
    Chief executive Vern Reid, who gave Mitchell permission to take up the Currie Cup job during annual leave, was non-committal.
    "We have been made aware of comments by Lions president Kevin de Klerk and we will be making contact with John as soon as possible to ascertain the validity of any approach for his services before making any assessment on the matter," Reid said.
    If Mitchell does ask for an early release, it would bring a satisfactory result for all those involved. Mitchell, who could not be reached for comment, could expect a three-year term at the Lions which would ease the pressure of needing a new job at the end of the 2011 season.
    And Wallabies and Force assistant coach Richard Graham is ready and waiting, having already been appointed as Mitchell's successor.
    De Klerk told South African website NewsTime he wanted Mitchell to remain at the Lions, but would not put pressure on him.
    "John is a man of high morals and values and, similarly to him, we would like to follow the proper procedures for him to remain here," de Klerk said. "I can't speak for him, but it looks as though he is enjoying his time at the Lions.
    "If we are able to retain his services it would be a bonus because he is a good coach and it would assist us in recruiting a quality group of players to strengthen the union.
    "He (Mitchell) has been an inspiration at the union. The feedback I have received from the players about their experiences of working with John has been very positive.
    "The administrative staff also have great respect for him because of his values and professionalism."
    Under Mitchell, the Lions have won only one of their four Currie Cup matches.
    De Klerk said that if the Force released Mitchell, he would replace Dick Muir with the Springboks backs coach stepping into the director of rugby role.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ith-the-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    don't they have a history of 1 year wonders - coach wise

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    If he was to go, i'd like to hand shake "the coach" as he may of not turned the EWF into premiership contenders at his helm, but has developed many of the EWF to be international players and a FORCE to be recogned with in the not too distance future.

He stood up to Glory players also and its been better for our club that the players of Valentine / mitchell / giteau and others have left and have declined in there game play since leaving John Mitchell and EWF.

Just hope Graham is ready for the whistle and get us in the top 6.

vCash
    A poorly disguised re hash of an article I read about this time yesterday somewhere. Oh that's right, I read it right here courtesy of TG.

G'day Nick. Love ya work.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    TWF sets the news agenda.

Nobody knows Rugby like TWF.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    He stood up to Glory players also and its been better for our club that the players of Valentine / mitchell / giteau and others have left and have declined in there game play since leaving John Mitchell and EWF.
    except for the outstanding games mitchell is having...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Vern Reid:

I have spoken to John Mitchell in Johannesburg and he has advised me that no formal negotiations have taken place with the Lions in regards to their head coaching position for the 2011 Super rugby season. This has also been confirmed by John’s management, The Fordham Company.

At this point we have not had contact with the Lions or their President about their intentions.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    when does an informal negotiation become a formal negotiation?

vCash
    go for it.
    graham can do the job fine methinks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    After 8.00 p.m. (when a jacket and tie must be worn)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    2 weeks after the contract has been signed.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    going now will avoid confusion next season. Graham can do the job, so thanks Mr Mitchell and dont forget your baggage as you leave!

vCash
    It'll be a purely financial decision IMHO.....If John wants out and is willing to do so without a payout, then wave goodbye ande get Richard Graham in, if he's trying to screw us out of the remainder of his contract payment, make him stay.

It won't matter much if he stays, Graham will be head coach next year in all but name (and salary) but it'd be good to make sure we're not paying for the Lions to begin their improvement under a coach who IMHO is pretty well suited to South African rugby culture.

C'mon the

vCash
    I agree GIGS ... go with out the money or stay ... I think its fair. Too many people ae getting a golden hand shakes ... this annoys me ... I want one ... even if it is from a person with a 9ct gold prosthetic hand ....

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't believe there should be any bad feelings towards JM. That is all!!!!

Just happy to be here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast