Thread: One tough custodian

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

One tough custodian

One tough custodian

Tough customer...Wallaroo Ashleigh Hewson outside Long Bay jail. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

DIMINUTIVE Ashleigh Hewson has been responsible for ensuring some of Australia's toughest criminals toe the line at Sydney's notorious Long Bay jail.

After handling those characters, tackling arch-rivals New Zealand during this month's women's Rugby World Cup in England should be a stroll in the park for the star Wallaroos custodian.
    When she is not playing fullback, Hewson runs around a wing of the prison where she works as a correctional officer. No wonder Wallaroos coach John Manenti describes his 65kg goalkicking ace as "a tough cookie".
    "I did a stint in the immediate action team which is the squad that responds to emergencies and so forth," Hewson said.
    "That was definitely an eye-opener, there were a few scary situations and your adrenalin was definitely pumping."
    Being in the thick of that kind of action is one of the big attractions of the job for the 30-year-old.

"Not many people want to do it, but I really enjoy it because of my competitive nature and because it is so challenging," she said.
    Hewson admitted her first day on the job was very daunting when she walked into Area One, the maximum security section of the prison. "But you just treat people the way you want to be treated, that's how I look at anyone I meet," she said.
    "I'm working with male inmates that are three times my size.
    "A lot of the time that comes down to your brain and not brawn."
    Playing rugby has helped Hewson handle those pressures she faces on a daily basis.
    "I take a lot of the competitiveness and hardness I have on the field into a job like this," she said.
    For the past 12 months Hewson has worked in a unit with developmentally delayed inmates.
    "It is very different and makes you realise how lucky you are. A lot of them live on the street and this is their home, which is sad," she said.
    The rewards come when Hewson sees the improvements in their behaviour.
    "Even just the simple things - now they say 'please' and 'thank you' because I would say 'use your manners'. They have never been taught that," she said.
    The prisoners were a bit shocked to discover Officer Hewson was a topline rugby player because they said she was too little. But her sporting prowess gained her a lot of kudos.
    "I kick the ball around with them. They are actually very surprised when I can kick further than them and pass further than them," Hewson said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225901343701

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder what she has on this weekend, Robbie may give her a call to harden up the mens XV...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.