Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand All Blacks outplay Wallabies to win 49-28 at Etihad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Drop him? He was good until he was binned. He would never have been, had Kaplan resisted the urge to make his presence felt. The first infringement did not warrant binning. After the report, Joubert had little chioce as he'd previously, also wrongly, binned Owen Franks. His red card offense was something that happens regularly but the referee again found himself with no choice.

The coach will talk to him about keeping discipline at the front of his thinking from here on in - but that'll be about all.

Niether offense warranted what happened. The automatic red card needs a rethink.
    Those yellow cards only confirmed my long held belief that niether colour card shoud be shown for a foul unless it's confirmed by the TMO.
    unfortunately playing to the ref is part of the game of rugby, it was made clear that any more slowing down of the ball from a restart was going to be a send off, mitchell was a twat for knocking the ball out of Jane's hands anyway.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    unfortunately playing to the ref is part of the game of rugby, it was made clear that any more slowing down of the ball from a restart was going to be a send off, mitchell was a twat for knocking the ball out of Jane's hands anyway.
    Read the posts. I'm well aware what applies in a game of Rugby but was referring to the initial IMMEDIATE binning of Mitchell and Franks - for foul play. It happens far too much for my liking. If you're happy for it to continue, great. I'm not.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You seem to be helping my point here WRF. How can you say it's working fine when it's so obviously not. We see it time and again where players are wrongly carded. All yellow cards should be reviewed excepting for continual cynical cheating.
    Sorry I was just stating that the concept of the yellow/red cards should stay. Some of the decisions lately have been terrible. I remember a time when you hardly would ever see one of these cards, now it's every bloody game.

The refs just need to be addressed on the fact that they are not lollies and should only be issued for serious or continued breaches of the laws.

vCash
    I knew what I meant - I think.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    The refs just need to be addressed on the fact that they are not lollies and should only be issued for serious or continued breaches of the laws.
    Eg Richie McCaw 'ROLL SEVEN' 'HANDS OFF SEVEN' 'ROLL SEVEN' 'NO SEVEN, NO'. He's slightly magical to get away with it.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Senior Player
    vCash
    Stupid tactics/laws question - what's the best way of preventing an opponent from taking a quick throw?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hand it to the ball boy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Stupid tactics/laws question - what's the best way of preventing an opponent from taking a quick throw?
    don't break the laws

vCash
    Sorry i though Joubert had an ordinary game... he missed a hell of a lot at the break down..
    2 especially come to mind that were momentum breakers..
    One was McCaws try.. that was the tacklers hand in there pushing the ball out the side. -ref was badly positioned and the touchie was not watching where he shouldve been.

The second was Penalising Brownie for hands in the ruck when it was clear there was no hand anywhere near the ball and it simply squirted out under the pressure of his body.
    He relied WAaaay to much on his touchies and was lazy in policing the movement of players around the ruck and scrum areas.. However He did ok on the offsides rule when each team was in up against their own line in defence and was consistent with his decisions.

I think Mitchell's cards were correct. the first was late and a shoulder charge no hands anywhere and the second was just stupidity. Franks yellow however was barely a penalty and clearly just a miss timed tackle. I think McCaw got away with murder..AGAIN!!!! clearly impeding Brownie out the side of the scrum at least twice he played the ball from an offside position reaching back with one hand to pick it up when he was on the wallabies side of the ruck..

I thought in the second half, the Wallabies had the better game and gave a great account of themselves despite being a man down... Gits played well apart from his kicking again and AAC had some great little touches.. Pocock.. best on ground for the Wallabies, he was fired up all game and was always there at the ball before anyone else.. he is a special player! Wondering why Sharpie was pulled so early when he was having some great barnstorming bashes up.. maybe they just wanted to try mix it up a bit?

vCash
    Hi Everyone, can someone please advise who the No.18 was who substituted Sharpie was? Symonds maybe...??? I was at the game and missed who it was by some bloody All Black supporter blocking my view....Cheeeeeesh???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Stand near to or in front of the player he's intending to throw the ball to.

Or if your a spectator on the side line touch the ball.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought Elsom might well have been the factor that tipped Joubert into the penalties. Whenever Rocky talks to the ref he comes across as a petulant little bitch and Joubert was quite right in pulling him up about his tone. But if you are going to complain about the opposition slowing the ball, you have to expect it to cut both ways. Noticeably, after he got up the ref's nose about it, it was only the Wallabies getting penalised for slowing the ball.

Overall, I thought that match was a pretty good indication of our weaknesses. The kicking from 10/12 was pretty ordinary, without which Barnes doesn't offer that much. I am not sure we were able to really contest a single restart, and penalty kicks to touch were either missed or very short. Browny had a poor match and may be lucky to keep his spot, O'Connor looked scatty and I have yet to see the point of Horne. But overall, I thought the end of each half told the tale. First half the siren has gone, Mitchell is running up the wing and kicks the ball deep into the AB half. Reasonable kick (-ish) normally, but stupid in the circumstances - if he was going to chase it was far too long, and if he was looking for touch to end the half he should have just hacked it sideways. As it was, it trickling out was a little lucky and the best outcome as the only other option was that he was giving it to the AB back 3 with room to counterattack. Similar in the second half - O'Connor has the ball with two minutes to play, the Wallabies need a fourth try to salvage something from the debacle, so he kicks it straight to the opposition who then score at the other end. Mind you, O'Connor only had it because a lazy runner had conceded the penalty and, instead of carving off some territory for the line-out, we let the opposition get back on defense up before playing on - brilliant way to get an advantage that!

It was all pretty brainless stuff, lacking situational awareness or composure. Maybe it is just me too, but it really seems as though our opponents have the luxury of focusing on the lesser skills because they have the basics down. By comparison, we constantly seem to have players agonising over goalkicking, scrum stability, passing from the base of the breakdown, throwing straight ball, etc. Had to admire the irony then when the first commercial after the game was Fox promoting the coverage of the ITM cup as the place where the best learn their trade. We don't even have an Aus A program anymore, so perhaps it is not that surprising that our team play like debutants for so long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Hi Everyone, can someone please advise who the No.18 was who substituted Sharpie was? Symonds maybe...??? I was at the game and missed who it was by some bloody All Black supporter blocking my view....Cheeeeeesh???
    Rob Simmons

vCash
    Damn, only 1 point off!

<---

edit> Oh well I'm an idiot, thought I had 'will PUT 50 on them'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    Damn, only 1 point off!

<---

edit> Oh well I'm an idiot, thought I had 'will PUT 50 on them'.
    You probably could have changed the line on your profile without anyone noticing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast