Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Blacks' plans to halt Australia revealed

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks' plans to halt Australia revealed

All Blacks' plans to halt Australia revealed

New Zealand coach Graham Henry's notes can be seen by his side in this roated image taken during the All Blacks training session in Melbourne today. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

A PHOTOGRAPHIC scoop has revealed the All Blacks' tactics for the Bledisloe Cup Test against the Wallabies in Melbourne on Saturday night.

A page from the All Blacks play book, snapped by a press photographer at training yesterday, shows that New Zealand will target Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau and winger James O'Connor in defence and attempt to negate the influence of openside flanker David Pocock at the breakdown.
    All Blacks coach Graham Henry was holding the page of diagrams and plans as he directed training at Melbourne's Trinity Grammar School. The first diagram shows a "dummy axe" move from a full lineout involving inside centre Ma'a Nonu and fullback Mils Muliaina with outside centre Conrad Smith receiving a short ball on the outside.
    This is a two-phase play with the ball coming back to left winger Joe Rokocoko on the blindside where he will take on James O'Connor, who is starting on the right wing for only the second time.

By shifting the ball wide and then switching back again the All Blacks will hope to take Pocock out of the first two phases, which will allow them to gain momentum.
    Playing the game beyond Pocock's access to the breakdown appears to be a key feature of the All Blacks' strategy.
    The second play revealed by the photograph is also from a full lineout. Five-eighth Dan Carter, Nonu, Smith and Rokocoko line up in a box formation. Depending on how he reads Pocock in defence, Carter will link with Nonu or Smith in the midfield or slip a short ball to Rokocoko to run "inside 10 or around him".
    In Henry's third play, a simple starter play, All Blacks loose forwards Richie McCaw and Kieran Read line up in a box formation with Rokocoko and Carter at a five-man lineout, which means they have two decoy runners.
    McCaw could pass to Read or Read could link with Rokocoko to attack the midfield before switching play back to the blindside again.
    The fourth play is more unusual. From a scrum on the left-hand side, Muliaina stands on the blindside wing.
    Carter cuts out Nonu on the open side of the field to find Rokocoko in midfield.
    The fact that Muliaina is on the blindside wing indicates the All Blacks will switch the play back again because he is too good a runner to leave out of the attacking movement, but maybe that's what they want the Wallabies to think. It is just too obvious, which means it is probably a feint.
    More likely the All Blacks forwards will come around the corner to take the ball ahead before linking with Carter and the backs.
    The fifth play in Henry's book originates from a midfield scrum with Carter throwing a double cut-out pass to Rokocoko to set up a one on one with O'Connor. Nonu runs "out and in" and Smith runs "in and out" to create confusion about where the pass is directed.
    If O'Connor comes in off his wing to take Smith, he will leave Rokocoko with an open passage.
    It is a simple, but clever, tactic to attempt to take advantage of O'Connor's inexperience.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225897753643

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    that is a bit rough to snap this and send it out...

the kiwis are already very paranoid about poisonings and not letting people into training sessions, etc...

vCash
    Don't you love a good telescopic lense!

Must notice the photographer only got half of the page though

Any chance Henry let that slip deliberately?

vCash
    a conspiracy Jargan?

Surely not!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Suzi wants to know where they are eating on Friday night

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    A conspiracy would have been this photo being handed quietly over to the wallabies and then Robbie Deans snapped with it!

Who knows maybe Henry wnated to be snapped with it!!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Veteran
    vCash
    Photographer snaps All Blacks game plan
    DUNCAN JOHNSTONE
    July 28, 2010 - 11:11AM

Breach of trust ... All Blacks coach Graham Henry holds his training notes.

Breach of trust ... All Blacks coach Graham Henry holds his training notes. Photo: Getty Images

All Blacks assistant coach Steve Hansen has said the photographer that snapped an image of coach Graham Henry holding a page of notes broke the trust between team and media.

The Age, Herald Sun and the Australian newspapers have published photographs of what appear to be All Blacks tactics for Saturday night's clash with the Wallabies in Melbourne.

Photo agency Getty Images snapped a page of notes being held by Henry at the team's training in Melbourne yesterday.

The image had highlighted notes of All Blacks moves from scrum and lineout situations.

"At the end of the day you guys and photographers come to training and there are a few unwritten rules and the photographer has breached the trust. There's not too much we can do about it," Hansen said.

"The good thing about it yesterday was a defensive training day so we won't have to change our tactics too much.

"There are a whole lot of things that are going to happen on Saturday night and I don't think one photo is going to make too much difference."

Hansen said they were treating this as an isolated incident.

"Most of the time we get great response from people - our guys have been pretty good over the years but every now and then someone makes a mistake and you have to go away and have a talk about it."

He admitted it was an ongoing concern.

"Everyone in world rugby and world sport knows it is a concern."

Last year the All Blacks had TV3's South African cameraman removed from a training session in Durban.

The Australian has concluded the All Blacks plan to target five-eighth Mat Giteau and wing James O'Connor in defence and nullify the influence of openside flanker David Pocock. It detailed five separate plays.

The Age and Herald Sun both published the images.

As to any action, Hansen said: "With any breach of trust you take your time and talk about it. It's not the end of the world. We will deal with that in our own way.

"At the end of the day one person has made a mistake taking a photo he probably shouldn't have if he wants to keep coming to training."

When it was suggested some more strict rules should be put in place, Hansen replied: "I think common sense is the key. You can write as many rules as you like but at the end of the day if you don't use common sense, rules don't matter."

The Wallabies were happy to leave the fuss with the All Blacks.

"I wouldn't read too much into it myself. I probably won't bother looking at it," claimed Australian assistant coach Jim Williams.

"It's a picture of training. That's how I will leave it."

When it was mentioned that the tactics sheet referred to what the All Blacks thought the Wallabies would be doing, Williams said: "They are tactics ... you put a bit of focus on the opposition but it's about how you prepare."

As far as media protocol being broken, Williams said it wasn't an issue for the Australian camp.

"It's not really a concern. As a team you prepare the best you can. Those issues are always going to be out there but it's not something that we concentrate on.

"There are always those things about teams watching other teams. If it's done, it's done but it's not something we really concentrate on or really worry about.

"This isn't going to make me take any extra precautions."

The All Blacks play the Wallabies at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night in a Tri-Nations match that doubles as the opening Bledisloe Cup clash of a four-match series between the two trans-Tasman rivals.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...728-10v20.html

vCash
    Hope this doesn't result in paranoia and closed training sessions - I enjoyed going to the session in Brisbane - chatting with the players as they were warming down.

vCash
    poor form... the photogrpher has overstepped the mark on this.. not just because its a breach of trust but because its forcing Robbie deans hand as well.

he'd be stupid to ingore the plays on that sheet now that its out but ill bet he'd prefer not to know purely to ensure the AB's dont have any ammo to fire if the wallabies do beat them...

im disgusted... its not cheating as it could not possibly have been endorsed by the wallabies camp (geesuseffinchrst if it was though! ) but noone needed to see that...

vCash
    I kind of agree that its too good to be true and too obvious. But it does look pretty legit. The only thing is Rokocoko is the key man in every move

If i were an All Blacks fan in QLD i'd be finding out where this jerk photographer lives. And get all my cuzzie bru's to rock his house.

Last edited by jazza93; 28-07-10 at 15:16.

vCash
    Naaa... I would worry, Maa Nonu will never be able to remember all that.....

Veteran
    vCash
    he's a douche.. though apparently a really nice guy off the rugby field...

which really shits me cause i hate him on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    poor form... the photogrpher has overstepped the mark on this.. not just because its a breach of trust but because its forcing Robbie deans hand as well.

he'd be stupid to ingore the plays on that sheet now that its out but ill bet he'd prefer not to know purely to ensure the AB's dont have any ammo to fire if the wallabies do beat them...

im disgusted... its not cheating as it could not possibly have been endorsed by the wallabies camp (geesuseffinchrst if it was though! ) but noone needed to see that...
    Given the option of a closed training session and you assume that the All Blacks would have planned on a closed session during the week anyway to go through some stuff that they indeed would have wanted onlookers kept away from. You would think if the matierial on that piece of paper were so secret it would have come out then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    he's a douche.. though apparently a really nice guy off the rugby field...

which really shits me cause i hate him on the field.
    Hey I don't think Richie will remember either after a good hammering from the Wallabies loosies...

However it does appear to be Rabbit hunting season...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So they were running real plays in a training session to which they had invited press photographers...yeah, that seems likely!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast