Robinson declares readiness for Boks
DAVID SYGALL
July 18, 2010

THE Wallabies' engine-room woes may have been partially answered, with prop Benn Robinson successfully negotiating a stern test on his return to competitive rugby yesterday for Eastwood against West Harbour in a Shute Shield thriller at Concord Oval.

Robinson was seeking to prove his fitness for Australia's Tri Nations opener against South Africa in Brisbane next Saturday. The Waratahs' loosehead had been out of the game for more than two months with a fractured forearm. He was forced to miss the Wallabies' opening four Test matches and, though he had recently resumed training with the national side, this was his first hit-out in match conditions.

Robinson played with his arm strapped but showed no discomfort and came through unscathed before being replaced after a solid 65 minute hit-out. Robinson believed he showed enough yesterday to pressure for selection.

''I've definitely put up my hand,'' he said. ''My arm feels 100 per cent now, I really bashed it around, so I'm just looking forward to the weekend now.''

Asked if he felt any reluctance to put his arm under serious pressure, Robinson said: ''Early on there was just a touch, but in the end I was just so excited to be out there. It had been nine weeks off the field so it's good to be out there having fun with the boys. We had a tough time in that first half. We were defending a lot and tackling a lot, so I gave my arm a good test there.''

Robinson had been hoping to prove himself against 130-kilogram West Harbour front-rower Rodney 'Rodzilla' Blake. However, Blake withdrew from the match during the week and travelled to Queensland. Nevertheless, Robinson's fitness was put to the test as his third-placed Eastwood were pushed all the way by the eighth-placed Pirates, who surrendered a 24-point lead to lose in a nail-biter. The Pirates opened up a two-tries-to-nil, 17-0 half-time lead, which they stretched immediately after the break when captain Rory Sidey brilliantly scored after an elusive sideline run.

But Eastwood owned the second half. They hit back through Damien Fitzpatrick and James Stannard, before Robinson was replaced to a generous applause. Stannard scored his second soon afterwards, cutting West Harbour's lead to 24-19. With eight minutes remaining Nathan Brecht crashed over to even the scores and, moments later, a Ben Batger penalty goal earned Eastwood the lead for the first time - when it mattered most.

While Robinson was pleased and relieved yesterday, in Queensland another key component of the Wallabies' front row, hooker Stephen Moore, was also scheduled to return to competitive rugby, playing for University in the Queensland Premier competition. Moore hadn't played since fracturing his jaw in two places during the Brumbies' final-round Super 14 match against the Canterbury Crusaders in Christchurch in May. The absence of both Robinson and Moore had opened the door for props Ben Daley, Salesi Ma'afu and James Slipper, and hookers Saia Faingaa and Huia Edmonds to be receive tough initiations at Test level against England and Ireland.

■ West Harbour's annual benefit luncheon, on July 31, will be a special event this year, with Mark Tonga attending. Tonga, who played lower grades for the Pirates, was left a quadriplegic after an accident at training three years ago. Other guests include David Campese and Bill Young.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...717-10f3c.html