Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SHeps and Cullett invited to Wallabies training.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

SHeps and Cullett invited to Wallabies training.

Knee means Peter Hynes out of squad

DEMOTED Wallaby winger Drew Mitchell may get a reprieve for the Test against South Africa after Peter Hynes was ruled out with a knee injury.

Hynes, who had minor knee surgery after Queensland's Super 14 campaign, has aggravated the injury at training and is out indefinitely.
    With Hynes and fellow Reds winger Digby Ioane (dislocated shoulder) on the sideline,

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has invited Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd and Nick Cummins to attend training in Sydney today, rounding out the squad to 30 players.

This will give Mitchell, who was omitted from the Wallabies Tri-Nations squad announced last Thursday, a chance to redeem himself.

Mitchell scored four tries in Sydney club Randwick's 53-10 win against Penrith at Nepean Rugby Park on Saturday, while Galloping Greens teammate Cummins crossed over for one five-pointer.

But there has never been an issue with Mitchell's brilliant attacking ability. It was his poor defensive effort in the Wallabies' 21-20 loss to England in the second Test in Sydney that put his position in jeopardy.

And then he played uncertainly in the 22-15 win against Ireland in Brisbane. Deans left Mitchell out of the squad even though he did not have many other options on the wing.

Apart from Hynes and Ioane, outside back Adam Ashley-Cooper was the only member of the squad who has started a Test on the wing, although fullbacks Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor have had limited experience on the flank.

Mitchell will face strong competition from Shepherd, who played reasonably well in front of Wallabies selector David Nucifora in Northern Suburbs' 45-12 loss to Eastwood at TG Millner Field in Sydney on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the Western Force has confirmed that Shepherd has re-signed for another two years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225890478135

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If Wayne Smith says he played 'reasonably well' I would love to have seen that....it must have been the best game in history!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If Wayne Smith says he played 'reasonably well' I would love to have seen that....it must have been the best game in history!
    Good point Gigs, you have attributed the line to the wrong tosser though. Weren't Wayne 'twas Bret (one T) Harris.

vCash

Maybe. But I'd bet it was the two he scored in front of Robbie Deans in this match

http://www.procarlos.com/viewimage.p...Harbour_3/7/10

that's gonna get him back in the Wallaby squad.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Good point Gigs, you have attributed the line to the wrong tosser though. Weren't Wayne 'twas Bret (one T) Harris.
    Shit, that makes it worse. Does anybody have a tape of this match, Shep must've played better than Jesus on steroids!

C'mon the

vCash

seriously though,
    cullet or condom head(poor drew has a head like Mr Latex - should have kept the perm)on defense?
    as, from that article thats why drew was dropped.
    both players have pace, i'd say that Nick is more willing to run into the man, drew prefers to bitch out and kick before he gets tackled.
    i'd say that drew has a better kicking game.

if it's going to come down to defense, who'd get the start?

and does this mean the cullet will be gone if he is playing for the wallabies?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

seriously though,
    cullet or condom head(poor drew has a head like Mr Latex - should have kept the perm)on defense?
    as, from that article thats why drew was dropped.
    both players have pace, i'd say that Nick is more willing to run into the man, drew prefers to bitch out and kick before he gets tackled.
    i'd say that drew has a better kicking game.

if it's going to come down to defense, who'd get the start?

and does this mean the cullet will be gone if he is playing for the wallabies?
    Wow, when you said you hadn't seen much rugby this year you weren't kidding were you?

Drew is a totally different player this year. Still pretty elusive on the counter, but he's fixed his kicking up (mainly by not doing it if under pressure) and is startign to bust tackles almost at will. He's still a shaky defender, but was never an actual liability on the wing. He knows how to use the sideline in his favour and needs the help.

I'd think that Cullet, whilst promising for a longer term option is likely sitting behind Drew. Defensively better, but not as smart on attack. Kicking would be pretty even IMHO and Cullet's probably quicker (although I reckon it'd be a close race) so I guess it'll depend more whether you want to send Drew a message (which would include an element of risk) or whether you're interested in experience.

Not an easy pick that one!

C'mon the

vCash
    Wow, when you said you hadn't seen much rugby this year you weren't kidding were you?

Drew is a totally different player this year. Still pretty elusive on the counter, but he's fixed his kicking up (mainly by not doing it if under pressure) and is startign to bust tackles almost at will. He's still a shaky defender, but was never an actual liability on the wing. He knows how to use the sideline in his favour and needs the help.

I'd think that Cullet, whilst promising for a longer term option is likely sitting behind Drew. Defensively better, but not as smart on attack. Kicking would be pretty even IMHO and Cullet's probably quicker (although I reckon it'd be a close race) so I guess it'll depend more whether you want to send Drew a message (which would include an element of risk) or whether you're interested in experience.

guess i stand corrected then.

vCash

Cullet isnt as agile as mitchell and since cullets bulked up i think he's lost a bit of speed as a result. Mitchell appears much quicker.

vCash
    You could be right about the speed, but Cullet never really played the stepping game anyway.....I guess that makes the bulk appropriate, but doesn't add a new dimension to his game. Drew's bulk on the other hand has given him a new ability to bust tackles front on.......I haven't seen a lot of difference in his elusiveness.

I'd still call it pretty even, Cullet has the defensive title sewn up. I stand by my last statement that it's a close call and Deans won't be picking this based upon a clear winner, probably more about what message is being given to the one who misses out (and probably gets the bench)

How would Cullet react: given his age and his recent history, he'd probably see the bench as his opportunity to prove himself and be working on looking better than the starters once he gets his chance.

How would Drew react: He'd have to view it as a slap in the face, similar to being dropped from the squad. It'd be a good way to see whether his attitude has changed or is it just physiology. He might be the petulant school boy of last year and sulk on the sidelines only to come on and be so preoccupied with woe is me that he plays like a dog......or the transformation of his playing style might be the result of a total attitude adjustment and he'll tear the place apart once he's back on the field.

Either way, I reckon there's more to gain from having Cullet start and Drew on the bench, Cullet will play the same way whether he starts or not and Drew might just have a big dose of angry if he sits out 40 (or 60) minutes!

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Can’t every remember seeing Cullet set the field afire with pace, always thought he was rather slow for an outside back. To be honest if I listed the best wingers that have played for the Force he wouldn’t be in the top four. I only ever remember him having one really outstanding game at a home game in Spewbi otherwise he has been just dependable when not injured.

Ioane
    Shepherd
    Staniforth
    Mitchell

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    He's an ex-centre, so really I don't think we should expect startling pace from him. I'm much more keen to see him smashing through tackles and trampling Habana in his path. He didn't have the most amazing of Super 14 seasons, but I think a shot with the Wallabies would do him a world of good.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I agree with Robyn, if Cullet improved his defense a bit he'd be a good centre, but that's not a problem for the Wallabies at the moment. He's got the makings of a good, big wing, dependable in defense and solid with ball in hand. If he learns how to finish from Sheps, he'll be in, or there abouts, the Wallabies squad for years.
    But he'll never be a speedster on the wing, and he probably shouldn't try and change his body to fit in with expectations.

vCash
    I have to admit i think he is comfortably the fastest the Force have.. make of that what you will but he is certainly faster than Mitchell was/is.
    Also has a better defensive game.. where Mitchell outshines him is in his opportunism and tactical thinking.. when to come in for the ball and when to be in support for the offload etc... Mitchells ability to shrug off tackles as always been his strength but ive also seen Cullet do that.. maybe not this year but certainly in 2009 before his injury.. i think during the super14 season Mitchell had the better opportunities to shine (and took them) as opposed to Cullett who really had to cope with the stuttering back line issues inside him.

im with Gigs on this one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    He's an ex-centre, so really I don't think we should expect startling pace from him. I'm much more keen to see him smashing through tackles and trampling Habana in his path. He didn't have the most amazing of Super 14 seasons, but I think a shot with the Wallabies would do him a world of good.

I believe centre is where he wants to be rather then where he came from. The guy is massive and even more obvious when his shirt is off. Mitchell is a pipsqueak next to cullet. The muscle growth has definitely slowed cullet down. Some of you have short memories. Same thing happened to Lote tuquiri.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,51821.html

Nick Cummins Signs With The Emirates Western Force
    Friday, 13 July 2007 11:56am
    RugbyWA
    Nick Cummins in action for the Australian SevensAustralian Sevens try-scoring machine Nick Cummins has joined the Emirates Western Force on a two year contract.

Described by Australian Sevens coach Glen Ella as the best Sevens prospect since Matt Giteau, Cummins rejected interest from two other unions and a National Rugby League franchise in his move west.

The 96kg Cummins is a product of the St Francis School in Brisbane, where he starred in the swimming pool and on the athletics track, as well as on the rugby field.

He represented Queensland Schoolboys in rugby and played NTRA Touch Football for Australia.

The outside back played a season of Randwick colts before being selected for the Australian Sevens team, where he finished the 2007 IRB Sevens World Series as the nation’s top tryscorer.

He has been playing first grade with Randwick since returning from representative duties.

Cummins said he was delighted to be a part of the Emirates Western Force rugby program, and was also looking forward to playing for Perth Spirit in the Australian Rugby Championship.

“The Force is a team on the move, and playing and training under coach John Mitchell and alongside guys like Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd and Scott Staniforth will be a great learning environment for me,” he said.

“I’m really looking forward to the opportunity of developing my game and being part of a successful team,” he said.

Emirates Western Force Head Coach John Mitchell described Cummins as a “salt of the earth” type of the character with plenty of natural talent.

“He’s tall and rangy with lots of acceleration. He’s also not afraid of the fray, and we like that,” Mitchell said.

“We’ll look at Nick’s potential at outside centre but he also provides us with a new option for the wing now that Digby Ioane has gone.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast