Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SHEPHERD TO STAY WEST

vCash

SHEPHERD TO STAY WEST

SHEPHERD TO STAY WEST
    Saturday, 10 July 2010 8:52pm
    RugbyWA

Super rugby try-machine Cameron Shepherd will continue to headline the Emirates Western Force attack after agreeing to a new two year deal with the club and Australian Rugby.
    Shepherd is the leading scorer in Emirates Western Force history with 337 points, while his 32 career tries places him amongst the elite performers in the competition.

An inaugural Force recruit, Shepherd has played 47 times in the ocean blue jersey and won nine test caps for the Wallabies.

“It’s exciting to think that I’m going to be spending another couple of years in Perth, it is the city I’ve fallen in love with, the people are fantastic, not only everyone involved with the Force but the friends I’ve made outside of rugby as well,” Shepherd said.

“In the five seasons I’ve been at the Emirates Western Force I feel as though I’ve accomplished a lot of things that I’m really proud of. This includes helping build the club from the ground up, experiencing a Commonwealth Games and playing for the Wallabies.

“I’m hoping to do a lot more and really feel as though I’ve only just scratched the surface. I want to be able to produce even more for the Force in the coming years.”

The 26 year old has shrugged off a frustrating run of injuries over the past 24 months which limited his output in both Super 14 and international rugby.

A superb athlete with the special ability to turn a game on its head, Shepherd is back in top shape and determined to recapture the form that saw him score a remarkable seven tries a season in three of his five years at the Force.

“What I want to do is put all those things (injuries) behind me and move on and play football. I don’t want to look back and say I started well in my career and then got injured and didn’t do much after that,” Shepherd said.

“I’m definitely ready to step up and get some more opportunities at the top level. When the time finally comes to hang up my boots I hope to look back and have as many fond memories of the second half of my career as I do of the majority of the first half.

“I think the team is definitely heading in a strong direction, the appointment of Richard Graham as Head Coach from 2012 is great news and he’ll continue the good work already done by John Mitchell. It is one of the reasons I’m excited about staying here.

“The community support, not just for me but for the team, has been massive and they’ve stuck with us through thick and thin and will be rewarded in the seasons to come.”

Equally adept on the wing or at fullback he’ll again team with the likes of James O’Connor, Scott Staniforth and Nick Cummins in an Emirates Western Force backline that has plenty of potency out wide.

“Cameron is a foundation player and an experienced and classy performer on the rugby field. We’re delighted to have retained his services for the next two seasons,” RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said.

“We share in Cameron’s confidence that his injury concerns are behind him and that there is clear air for him to return to his best.”

Player Profile
    Name: Cameron Shepherd
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 104kg
    Date of Birth: 30/03/1984
    Super 12/14 Points: 367 (32t)
    Super 12/14 Caps: 67 (47 Emirates Western Force, 20 Waratahs)
    Honours: Wallabies (9 caps), Australia A, Australian Sevens, Australian U21

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-07-10 at 19:18.

vCash
    sweet!
    now put him in bubblewrap until he needs to play!

Champion
    vCash
    Good news!

Senior Player
    vCash
    You little beaaauuuty!!

Almost enough to break the drought in dry July!

Almost....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    just...........

vCash
    Wooohooo!!!!

Now to secure ripia!!

9 sheehan
    10 ripia ??????
    11 staniforth
    12 Occonnor
    13 Inman
    14 Cummins
    15 sheps!!!!!!!!

Looks good on paper, now to juss biuld depth in the backline.

vCash
    I thnik we're spoiled for riches now!

Spanners on the wing or 12? O'Connor at second five or fullback? Shepherd anywhere?!

edit> for those who need something to remember how good Shepherd is - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg834GiB0JI"]YouTube- Western Force vs Hurricanes Round 6 2007[/ame]

Last edited by jombi; 10-07-10 at 21:57.

vCash
    probably wing, with staniforth in the centre, JOC at fullback.

vCash
    Sheps was the best fullback in oz and i still rate him as the best.
    OC is good but too many times opposite teams have taken advantage of his height by putting him under pressure by the likes of corey jane and other taller backs.

If we get a conservative flyhalf then with OC at 12 he'll provide the midfield flare and creativity. Chances are the flyhalf we get isnt going to be anybody special which makes OC's switch to 12 more logical.

vCash
    I hate the 'taller fullbacks' line mate!

Just look at Christian Cullen, he was 3 feet tall and up there with Nepia. The main problem with O'Connor is he tends to have a look at what is coming at him rather than just keeping his eyes on the ball, even if he was 50ft tall it wouldn't make a difference.

With age will come confidence, and that's all he needs.

vCash
    I still think sheps when healthy is the best fullback in oz and we will need OC's ball playing skills in the midfield. We wont be recruiting a "quade Cooper" type flyhalf. More likely a "tony brown" type with what 10's are available these days.

u wouldnt happen to be a shorty jombi would you? :p hee hee hee

vCash
    I prefer the term vertically challenged.

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think his height should be the deciding factor. Last year we had O'Connor start at 12, but on the set piece defence he'd switch to fullback and spanners would slot in at second five and it worked pretty well.

I wouldn't really call Ripia a Tony Brown-esque flyhalf, he's more a Spencer than a Mehrtens. The most important thing in all of this is Inman, whoever can link up with him the best should get the position because he is going to be a superstar.

I just see O'Connor as more of a selfish player (not in a bad sense) who likes to run and try to break the line, rather than offload before it.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Christian Cullen 1.8m
    Cory Jane 1.83m
    James O'Connor 1.8m

BTW, Matt Giteau 1.78m

vCash
    And don't forget Aplon, standing at a mighty 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jombi View Post
    I prefer the term vertically challenged.

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think his height should be the deciding factor. Last year we had O'Connor start at 12, but on the set piece defence he'd switch to fullback and spanners would slot in at second five and it worked pretty well.

I wouldn't really call Ripia a Tony Brown-esque flyhalf, he's more a Spencer than a Mehrtens. The most important thing in all of this is Inman, whoever can link up with him the best should get the position because he is going to be a superstar.

I just see O'Connor as more of a selfish player (not in a bad sense) who likes to run and try to break the line, rather than offload before it.
    hahaha. vertially challenged it is then mate.
    ripia definitely isnt a tony brown type but personally i have doubts ripia will come here. he's pretty young and giving up national representation(maori ab's) when he could juss go overseas for the $$$. I meant what other flyhalves available will more then likely be a journeymen past their best years.

Switching between attack and defense could be the go.

Jane appears taller then 1.83 on tv. must play well above his size then. the guy is great in the air, has an awesome fend and great strength.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeugcB5SZNw[/YOUTUBE]
    Either way imho OC can have some ordinary lapses in defense whether its falling off tackles or being caught out of position. he's improved heaps but still had his moments last season. most embarrassing being when huia edmonds bulldozed over him like lomu did with mike catt. I think Sheps is more solid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast