Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SHEPHERD TO STAY WEST

vCash
    Great News Sheps....Just Lerv Ya Werk...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjk View Post
    The Force at the moment have not re signed David Hill, Ryan Cross, Sam Harris, Haig Sare, Josh Tatupu and Chris O'Young has retired and Justin Turner is going to miss a large chunk out of season 2011.
    They have signed James Stannard and Gene Fairbanks???
    I think its going to be quite a difficult 2011!!
    Really? you think those losses are that massive?

Hill was never going to be available with his Japanese contract being what it is.

Cross is the only other one who is a regular starter and everybody on here has questioned his commitment all season, so not really a huge loss.

Harris, Sare and Tatupu were substandard and struggled to make it on the field even in the depth of the injury crisis and O'Young was capably replaced by Turner at the end of the season. Stannard has been called in to provide injury cover until he's fit again.

OK, Fairbanks is a bit old, but I don't think he's slated to be more than bench/injury cover and there are still some gaps to be filled.

As long as we can sign a solid flyhalf (Hill standard or better) and some speed on the outside I think we'll be OK.

Call me an eternal optimist

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    GIG20, i think you are an eternal optimist, I hope you are right though!
    The Western Force have signed only Stannard and Fairbanks and lost all those other players along with re signing the injure prone players, I'm not sure where the solid fly half (Hill standard or better) and these speedie backs are going to come from.
    I think its a little harsh to say Tatupu, Harris and Sare struggled at Super 14 level because I think they all performed well (solidly) when given a chance. I think Harris and Tatupu are much better options than Hunt, Fairbanks and Bartholomuez.

vCash
    GIG20, i think you are an eternal optimist, I hope you are right though!
    Where the Force are concerned I'm comfortable with the tag!

I'm not sure where the solid fly half (Hill standard or better) and these speedie backs are going to come from.
    Well they're in advance negotiations with Ripia who is at least as good an option as Hill, being younger and more of an attacking runner. They also have Anre Pretorius almost begging for a chance along with some longer shots in the negotiating room, so I don't think there'll be too many issues finding a flyhalf, we need to be aware that we don't want (or really need) Dan Carter standing there, and probably won't get that. As long as the flyhalf's solid and not up himself I'll be happy there, and Ripia fits the bill.....for that matter Pretorius fits the bill if he can stay fit, I'd use him as a last resort with Shep on the team though, we don't want two glass-kneed players in our squad.
    I think its a little harsh to say Tatupu, Harris and Sare struggled at Super 14 level because I think they all performed well (solidly) when given a chance. I think Harris and Tatupu are much better options than Hunt, Fairbanks and Bartholomuez.
    You might think it harsh, but I'm not the only guy saying it.....there has to be a reason Cross wasn't dropped and a lot of it is easily attributed to an accumulation of missed tackles and dropped balls. Tatupu was probably the best of those three, Sam was beeter once he got into the 12, but still not really up to the standard of the comp, and I've been calling for Haig to be dropped since a couple of weeks after the non-try against the Saders, he's OK for injury cover, but not quick or reliable enough for an outside back, niether is he versatile enough to be a utility player, which Fairbanks is.

Let's call Fairbanks a swap for Sare and we've got an improvement
    Stannard is not IMHO a long term option, being the fourth halfback contracted in the squad, somebody will be let go when JT's fit, and it'll be the least of the four (with the understanding that JT and Swanepoel are both young, that's highly likely to be Chucky)

It really depends on the mix of the team and who will be a starter. If Fairbanks is starting it's a backward step.....but I'll bet he isn't!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    lost all those other players along with re signing the injure prone players, .
    We haven't "lost" those other players. Force let them go...sacked if you want to be harsh.

vCash
    Welcome Sheps....what a relief...Love Ya Werk..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3